don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    The only thing I can think of... and Caverns4 suggested this, is to have the rulers count in units of 8 (tile size). I too question the practicality of this, but if enough people want it, ill do my best to include it (not in the current release though.)

2. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
  3. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Aren't you going to P̨͔͙͉̰̪͕̠͗͛ͤR̵̬̓͛ͭ̎͆̍ͤ͘ͅẼ̞̫̤̺̟̭̥̋̿̐́S̥̗͇̩̼ͪ̄͑̊̇͡S̷̥͇̻͈̗̒̄ͫ̚ ̴̠̍̇̏̇͗S̫͔̫̥͗̓ͥ̽̋͆̒͢͝Ṭ̸̤̹̏̽̍̂͠Ã̡̹̱̣͈͇̪͌̅͋̃͛̌̋̚ͅR̴̸̜ͫ͂̐̒̔̃ͧ͟T̨̯̦̰͛͒̅͌?͉̙̐ͮ̋ͩ̔͝

4. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    Some of you know me as Ralakimus on SSRG and SGD, so don't be confused by my username here. Anyways...

Some of you already saw this at SSRG and SGD, but for those who haven't seen it yet, I have some videos for my hack called "Sonic: Video Games Dimensions" on the Sega CD.

It's based off HCKTROX's Sonic 1 for Sega CD disassembly from SGD.

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Hey it's great to see you've been promoted to trial member here! I love your hack btw, hopefully a level from one of the Mega Man games makes it's way into your hack sometime. ;) Also if you want your videos to be embedded here you have to remove the "s" from "https". :P

6. Devon

Devon

your mom
    Thank you. Yes, I do plan on a MegaMan level in the future.

Also, thanks for telling me how to embed a video properly. Wasn't quite too sure.

7. sega16

sega16

I am working on adding import sprite sheet functionality to my project Retro Graphics Toolkit. The way this works is to first determine weather the sprite sheet uses alpha transparency or a mask color is used and what mask color to use. If alpha transparency is detected you still have the option to use a mask color. To find the mask three or one histogram(s) depending on bytes per pixel is constructed and for each pixel entry 0-255 is incremented and the highest value is the mask color. This algorithm is fast and uses little ram.
    [​IMG]
    After that rectangles are constructed around what is not the mask color. These rectangles are then merged to form a sprite. The algorithm works very well in identifying sprites only occasionally missing some dust that is not attached.
    [​IMG]
    Once complete you can right click on the sprite to remove it, left click on a removed sprite to re-add it and drag the rectangles to resize what is selected. After that overlapping rectangles will be merged in order to fix non connected dust or sprites that are not connected but should be one sprite group anyways.
    On the plus side I won't just leave it at this stage and just add the text (incomplete) to the menu entry, I will finish it. However already all sprites do import well using minimal sprites. I believe SonMapEd just creates 1x1 tile sprites.

8. Devon

Devon

your mom
    Time for an update. I'm now working on the MegaMan portion of my hack! I have a basic weapon done for Sonic and a basic level and music. Also, I have the old SSRG splash screen and the SGD splash screen ported as well and a level select.

9. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Whoa, that looks awesome, ArtmeierCompanies! Seems ridiculously ambitious, too. And you're only 14? Reminds me of myself when I was your age. :D

How complete and polished do you plan on making each of the respective "engines"? It'd be amazing if you could actually go inside buildings, talk to the cashier, etc. in the Pokemon part, for example.

10. Panko

Panko

SVGD really looks like it is shaping up good! I've always wanted to see a Pokemon port to the Sega Genesis/CD/32x.

Thanks to the Sega CD, you were able to pull off keeping the audio in their original forms. Not that they would sound bad on the Yamaha chip, though.

Also, having the game on Sega CD has another advantage: anyone with a Sega CD can burn the game to disc (use 2x/3x/4x & CD-R) and play it on their real hardware. Not sure how it would differ going between NTSC and PAL.

11. Devon

Devon

your mom
    Thank you! I do plan on having Sonic going through buildings and he'll be talking to characters.

Thank you as well, Panko! Now, last time I tried porting the songs to SMPS, they sounded pretty bad (ESPECIALLY Lavender Town). I do realize that I can burn it to a disc.

If any of you here want to help beta test, then PM me. I already have one, but It'll be nice to have more.

12. Devon

Devon

your mom
    Sorry for bumping, but I have a little update.

I've added more to the Wily Stage.

[​IMG]

Right now, I'm working on the physics of Sonic to work like Megaman.

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Just wondering would you ever consider doing a Nes version of Megaman on the Megadrive?

14. sega16

sega16

I understand that your post is a bit old but you know I too am working on a utility with sonic oriented features called Retro Graphics Toolkit. In fact you can see that I recently posted about it in this topic showing it's new import sprite sheet capabilities. I would be interested in seeing how Retro Graphics Toolkit reacts to your optimized DPLCs and maybe even adding such optimizing features in Retro Graphics Toolkit. I tested Retro Graphics Toolkit utilizing sonic 2's sonic mapping and DPLC and was able to produce bit per bit identical output. I do not believe that anyone would object to my program producing more optimal files even if it means the output no longer remains identical.

15. LovelyAyriana

LovelyAyriana

AL
    So, I decided to take a break from some ASM work I was doing with my Sonic 1 hack. This is what I created to eventually replace the flicky sprite. It's an owl! I love owls and thought wouldn't it be cool to turn at least one of the little animals into an owl? Not really done with it, I have to fix it up because I know it doesn't look that great (it kinda looks like it's wearing glasses lol xD). And I started to TRY and make the side sprites where the owl will be flying away. It is harder than I thought it would be. (And I know a member earlier in this thread mentioned how the size of the picture matters but I didn't know how to fix it, I hope that isn't a problem).

[​IMG]

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    That's a very accurate looking owl there! It looks the part, I can clearly tell it's an owl without reading the description.

Good luck with the side perspective as difficult as it may seem, I think you'll do alright.

17. LovelyAyriana

LovelyAyriana

AL
    Thank you!

Also, I found that a better forum for this post would have been in Creative Works under the post titled "Pixel Art/Sprite Topic." So for future reference, I will post things like this in that topic instead. xD

18. That's actually pretty impressive. Are you going to descale his sprite to 8 bit standards, or give him a buster?

19. Devon

Devon

your mom
    That's already done! He's 8-bit and has a buster. Right now, I can't show a screenshot, because I don't have the source code on me right now, but I will on tomorrow.

20. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

So, some of you may have seen the Hacking Contest entry for Crazy the Hedgehog. As you (probably) know, there has been some not-so-positive feedback on GHZ's palette. I've now started reworking that palette (Chaoxilla originally did it), and the result is this:

[​IMG]

Tell me what you think. I hope this palette is a little bit easier on the eyes than the previous one.