don't click here

Sonic Incursion (RELEASED)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Ell678, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Falk

Falk

Option 1 - It instantly gives a much more platformey feel.

I think you could incorporate a little bit of Option 2 into it as well by very, very slightly rotating after a certain speed threshold is met.

2. Deef

Deef

Option 2 was pretty yeugh. Definitely 1.

3. Zetaneko

Zetaneko

Brisbane, Australia
    Sonic: Ascension
    Just keep working it, just like polishing rusted metal, the more time and patience you put into it, the more it looks clean, professional and shinier! :eng101:

Pretty lame simile I know :v:

4. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    That's exactly right!

For those who are interested, the camera has been changed across the board. When I get some replacement music for the first level, I will upload a new version of the demo which I hope you will enjoy more. Progress on other levels is steady, if a little slower than it has been. Have a couple of WIP screenshots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Zetaneko

Zetaneko

Brisbane, Australia
    Nice! The last screenshot looks beautiful and vivid. But on the first screenshot, you need to edit the material of the corkscrew, I would recommend at least just putting a texture coordinate node on the end of the texture sample, and set the U and V coords to about 0.2 so that the texture wont look as repeated and grid-like. Other than that, keep it up man! Coincidentally I'm working on something right now very similar to that, the bloom and DOF is a nice touch.

6. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    It's been a while since I've posted something. It won't be long until I upload a replacement demo - one that is much improved.

[​IMG]

7. It does look better, looking forward to it.

I see you improved the monitor...

8. Zetaneko

Zetaneko

Brisbane, Australia
    I like the skybox and water material your using. There are a few improvements though that I think would help aesthetically.

a. The contrast between the trees and sand seems to be a bit jarring. What I would do is either edit the texture and blend the sand texture and the normal bark texture slightly on the bottom in a gradient fashion would cover that, or another option would be to add a bit of foliage, eg. bushes, long grass etc. around the base of the trees (If you need any like that I'd be happy to lend you some great models)

b. The rainbow texture on the sails of the boats look a bit static. A good idea would be to make a quick grainy black & white texture in Photoshop, or even Paint, and then in the material editor, multiply the two textures, but with the grainy texture, multiply by that by about 0.3 or whatever works best, and use that result as the input for the multiplication of the rainbow texture and that. Also using the grainy texture as a specular map would help drastically and you'll see lots of improvements.

c. Just like with the previous screenshot you took, try doubling the texture coordinates of the water to make it look higher-res.

d. The skybox does look a touch low-res, so to hide the jagged blurriness of the skybox, you could enable DOF but change the inner radius to an extreme amount just to slightly blur the far islands and the skybox will adjust accordingly.

9. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I've been putting foliage throughout the level, but as this is WIP, the background hasn't had much love. As for the rainbow material - I am by no means an artist so that wouldn't have occured to me, thanks for the pointers. The texture coordinate issue that you can see in the previous screenshot is no longer there and the fix is being applied to other offending materials.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I know it's probably a bit late but...I feel like Sonic should maybe be....bigger? His size in relation to the screen just seems off to me, for some reason. Maybe make the level of zoom more dynamic overall, like how Generations does it.

11. Zetaneko

Zetaneko

Brisbane, Australia
    His scale does seem fine to me, the camera may be a bit further than what you see in most games, but take in consideration that it would be a good idea to have a wide field of view when the player moves considerably fast and they have time to react to obstacles in front of them. I just learned that in my game I'm working on, having more visual awareness does reduce that frustration of not being able to see things around you very good.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The genesis games did just fine without widescreen. Plus, it doesn't look like the gameplay is even that fast. I feel like I'm seeing TOO much of what's going on. Seeing things around you isn't as much of a problem if you properly teach the player what kinds of situations are dangerous and avoid throwing dick moves at them.

Opinions opinions. Let's leave it at that and not waste time arguing about it.

13. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I promised you a new demo, and here it is!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMb6t-aBKFA[/youtube]

A lot has changed since the last one (which, in hindsight, should not have been released) so I hope you like this one. The third act is included too. Let me know what you think!

14. Pretty good man, the improvements are nice.

Background geometry and lighting with the sea look better this time.
    I still hate those fast and almost invisible enemies...
    I think the boss should be destroyed with less hits, or should have a pinch mode so that it moves differently.
    Foreground geometry has something like a "dark aura/shadow", is that UDK's crappy ambient occlusion? I would suggest to disable it and check the results.
    I'm not a fan of the exploding boxes, kinda unfair.

Enable the Disable Scripted Roll? checkbox (Misc section) of the pawn template to improve rolling animation.
    Toggle a HandleActor to force Sonic to detach from it.
    I will add a new option to HandleActor so that the hanging pawn always faces the same orientation.

15. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    The exploding boxes, do you mean the sandcastles with the spike balls in them, or the mines in Act 3? Thanks for the feedback!

Edit - I realised why I never enabled "Disable scripted roll". It doesn't work with the Colours model, when you jump or roll, all he does is crouch.

16. Wow, that video looks really nice! I swear, when I get a better PC, I've got to look into GDK stuff myself.

17. I meant the boxes that have spike balls.

18. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    So...did anyone else have a chance to play the demo?

19. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I'm not able to play it, unfortunately. However, looking at that video I wish I could!

20. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Just a small update. Progress is still going strong. Sometime soon, I'll upload a video of a new level. In the meantime...

[​IMG]