don't click here

Genesis head to head

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by EnterTheHatrix, Aug 11, 2014.

1. This saturday, my brother and I decided to play Sonic 3C head to head as a speed run (100% completion) on the big TV. We connected up 2 PS3 controllers, and launched 2 copies of gens. We quickly found that when gens loses focus, the controls stopped responding meaning we could only run one at a time, which was a bit of a blow.

We also tried Fusion, but we had the same problem with that.

Can anyone think of a way we can have head to head on the same screen? We're hoping to ramp it up to 4 simultaneous head to head with other games (Shinobi, Golden Axe, etc)

2. Would something like the Dual Gens mentioned in this thread be what you're looking for? This modified copy is made to keep reading keyboard input even when out of focus. I imagine that all you would have to do is set one copy to use one set of controls while the other uses the other controller.

I dunno how well that would work as I've never tried anything like this before. Good luck!

3. That looks like it. Perfect.

I will download this tonight.

Thank you

4. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Gens shouldn't have problems with losing controller input when the window loses focus.

...unless you're using one of those terrible "drivers" that merely maps controllers to keyboard input because Windows doesn't natively support PS3 controllers. :v:

5. Panko

Panko

The PlayStation 3 controllers are good, but there are no official drivers for Windows.

They are notorious for having bugs in Windows, because the drivers are not guaranteed to work; even a $5 controller would run better because it has official support.

I would recommend browsing around the internet for better drivers for the PS3 controllers. Also, I believe the PS3 controllers are Bluetooth enabled, so you might not even need to have them wired up to your computer! (Provided that your computer also has Bluetooth)

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    If you are using a PS3 controller, I highly recommend avoiding MotioninJoy, because it's buggy and stupid and terrible. Use this instead.

7. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    So whats a good option if you just wanna use a usb cord and not buy a blue tooth dongle? Cause if I wanted to do that I could just as easily buy a PS3 controller adapter.

8. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    That is absolutely terrible software design. Is writing a Windows driver for PS3 controllers really that difficult? (AFAIK, the only major issue with PS3 controllers is an init quirk; once that's done, it's standard HID. PS4 controllers shouldn't need any quirks at all.)