don't click here

Sonic Prologue Fan Film

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Lanzer, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://youtu.be/9C1ryUfXnR4

The voice acting was pretty weak but otherwise I thought this was good, like real good. Thoughts?

2. CheatFreak

CheatFreak

Catgirl expert. Member
    I have to agree- the voice acting was pretty meh- but I thought it was a much better attempt at a short film than whatever that movie by Blue Core Studios was.
    I like it, it's got a sort of campy feeling- and it's genuine camp too- not that fake camp that a lot of more modern movies tend to give off.

Animation could use a bit more polishing here and there- but it's definitely quite good for being made in SFM.

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I sat through half but couldn't bring myself to sit through the rest, so I skimmed it. I was really put off by some of the voice acting and some of the overly long scenes. Sometimes it just dragged when it didn't need to.

Modern Sonic sounds great, but the future Tails not so, and vice versa. The first time Classic Sonic spoke I was stunned, and not in a good way. Same with Robotnik. The voices need better projection AND direction.

Other than that I thought it was pretty decent. Great overall tone to the story and nice models and environments bar a few textures.

4. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    I really liked the animation, it was truly enjoyable even with it flaws, even made in the Source Filmmaker, was million of times better than that weird Sonic movie with Jallel White. The buzz-bomber sequence was a bit slow in animation, remembers me 90's CG cartoon , but the Sonic vs. Metal Sonic was very well executed as well the Tails following Sonic part.

What I didn't liked is Classic Sonic sounds older than Modern Sonic, also for use games sound effects, they didn't fit with that animation. There was a big flaw on Amy's eyes that creeped me out because her pupils are too big.

But what was really amazing is the music on this. Real good!

5. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    The scene changes and camera angles were pretty awkward. Not to mention that the fight scenes would spend too much time focusing on the attacks whether than just letting them flow.

That aside, A+ effort. I particularly enjoyed the voice acting.

6. Tanks

Tanks

I enjoyed it. Honestly, for what it was, the voice acting was pretty up to par I think. The dialogue was a little cringey at times, but it wasn't bad. They could have done without giving Metal a voice, or at least making him sound robotic in voice and character... (But that's personal preference I think). Also props for not making him Australia the Hedgehog, classic va. Over all, good effort on their part and I hope to see more from them. If anything, the more they do, the more improvements we'll see in the future.

7. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Source filmaker? Woah. That's pretty awesome. This has me psyched for a Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - the movie. I wish that would happen. Very good fanfilm.

8. Machenstein

Machenstein

That made me feel warm and cozy inside. I especially liked that Back in Time cover. It makes me want to see a high-budget theatrical short based off of this.

9. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Wow, that was actually really good! Much better than I was expecting it to be. It wasn't perfect of course; but it was an excellent, very enjoyable movie :) As Machenstein said above, it made me feel all warm inside. The soundtrack in particular was wonderful.

See, if a big-name animation studio took a script similar to that and fleshed it out into a full movie, I think it'd pretty much be exactly what I'd want from a Sonic movie. It did a good job of blending old and new.

10. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Why did they have two voice actors for Classic and Modern Sonic ?
    I didn't like this movie very much. Most scenes were too long. More story could have been told with that amount of time. When watching it, I wanted to skip some scenes. I didn't because I thought I could be surprised by something. I wasn't :/
    It's a nice effort, but it feels unfinished.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I admit I did... But flaws aside, it's still nice to see somebody putting those great Classic models to use, while SEGA keeps ignoring them.

I feel he should mention which assets were borrowed from official sources, though.

12. MastaSys

MastaSys

I found it kinda cute and it had some nice nods to Little Plannet and Angel Island was one in the shots.
    Metal Sonic wreckage would have to remain for some time in Stardust Speed if the games have a say on it, though.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    It's not bad per se, but it felt kinda pointless, the story doesn't really tell anything new. Also when the numbers appeared on Robotnik's computer I really hoped to see a 19 65 09 17 somewhere, what a way to waste a chance for an Easter Egg.

Still, I'd like to see more like this.

14. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

It's just meh for me, and I feel bad because I feel like it deserves more than that.

I will agree that this is WAY better than that Blue Core fan film, because this one actually feels like it was made by fans who care about Sega Sonic and have done their research. However, I honestly think destroying Metal Sonic was the wrong move to make since we see him again in other games, and I'm honestly use to Sonic finding Tails when he is working on his plane. They kind of gave a nod to that, but this was definitely a different take on the origin story. Still, I guess they did the best with what they could.

Seeing the after-credits scene makes me think this was really more like a love letter to Sega for making Sonic, and I think that's what makes this video good. As a valentine or an homage to Sega, this was actually really nice. Plenty of us Sonic fans would love to be able to do something like this.

15. Some flaws, but still fun to watch.

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    A lot of general awkwardness, but it had a lot of parts that I really enjoyed. I had to smile at the part where Robotnik was studying Sonic's moves, and you could see him formulate Silver Sonic's attack pattern from it. That was a little touch that was great. Liked how they also played Sonic as a douche, but not too big of one. Overall, really impressive for a fan project.

Also, thought it was hilarious when Sonic got angry when Metal played the Zone Complete theme, and I really liked this vid's rendition of "Back in Time."

17. Lambda

Lambda

Dang. That was actually pretty cool. A few issues, but I ain't gonna complain.

The Sonic and Tails race scene was actually reslly good, though I actually didn't like the "back in time" cover.

A lot of fun and well-executed nods to the games, even if some scenes did drag on too long.

I do have to say, though... didn't Sonic CD happen AFTER Sonic 2, not before?

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That was pretty interesting. Kinda makes me what to dick around in SFM.

19. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Admittedly I did go into it expecting your typical awkwardness, but I was surprised with how well they've thought it out in parts.
    Wasn't too big a fan of some of the music, they used the Nakamura theme too much. Classic Sonic and Eggman's voices were a bit pap.
    However, to echo what everyone else is saying: It's got some pretty good moments and it shows what a waste of time and money the Blue Core film was if you can do better in SFM with next to no budget.

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    How much did Blur Core waste on that...thing again?