don't click here

Sonic Hacking Contest 2014 - Entries, Streams, Voting Live!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Nov 30, 2013.

1. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I have a very nice official username, and I've been using it everywhere but Retro by now. Only reason I didn't ask for a name change sooner was because I didn't spend a whole lot of time here, but with the Hacking Contest and all, I need to get that ball rolling.

2. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Uuuuggghhhh I thought I fixed this bug already. I'll look into it. [inlinespoiler]Again.[/inlinespoiler]

3. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Wait, actually, it seems to work for other people, but not me for some reason. I know because somebody posted a comment at the "Submission Deadline" post and it didn't go to "forums.sonicretro.org/uploads/https://whateversitethisis/somethinggoeshere/avatar.fileextension".

By the way, the person who posted the comment was a Pending Member and he was talking about editing an entry after you submit it. He said "Of course my entry is very playable but still." as if he was entering something. If I assume correctly, Pending Members aren't allowed to enter, so I posted a comment confirming his question and letting him know about that. I still might want to let a judge look into this, though. [​IMG]

4. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    edit: Post irrelevant.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Double click on the word "By".

6. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Huh. Dunno how I missed that. Thanks!

7. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    Well folks, contest time is around the corner. In less than a week, anybody who wants to enter better be there, or be square. Today though, I wanna talk about a new aspect to this year's Hacking Contest, the Media Panel.

As most will recall, MegaGWolf usually covers the contest with his "Sonic Hack Showcase." In last year's discussion on how to make the even bigger, I gambled on the idea that asking other people outside of the Hacking community to cover the contest would be a great way to bring in the masses to the event. It was during one of my Youtube binges, I noted that Youtuber, SomeCallMeJohnny, loved Sonic, has played a few hacks on his Let's Play Channel, and has used Sonic Retro as reference on some of his knowledge. So, talks were had and he agreed to jump on. Along with Johnny, we also asked Donnie from SonicParadox to join and help out with doing streams and moderating the livestream chats. He agreed, thus creating the foundation of media coverage in the future. All in all, most things worked out fine and a good crew was made.

Such a good crew that all three are returning for this contest. That's right, those three lovable manly men are back for a second round, but this time we've got a few more friends joining in on the fun. Since January, I've been busy behind the scenes to get some of the biggest Sonic fans on Youtube to join in on the contest. They'll stream, showcase, and commentate on the various hacks for this year's contest, but this time everybody covering the contest is now on the newly formed Media Panel.

"What is the Media Panel and why are they here?"

I'm so glad you asked Mike Hunt. The Media Panel is just as it sounds, a specific panel dedicated to livestreaming the hacks, making reviews of the hacks, giving their opinions, and a few other secret things that I can't reveal until Contest Week. Let me just say this though, with the Media Panel in place, it will definitely be a fun time for all. With livestreams happening every day and a dedicated radio service covering the contest, it'll definitely feel much more interactive and definitely will have the bigger community aspect feel instead of just the "Hacking Community" feel.

This year, the judges all agreed we wanted to expand the contest to people who aren't into hacking, or in some cases don't know much about hacking outside of a few things; but are into Sonic. After all, there is a Sonic Community outside the safe walls of SSRG and Retro, why not show them what cool things the imaginative and hard working hackers of this community can do? So what better way than have big names join in our fun and help spread the word of how this contest is the coolest around?

"Does that mean the Media Panel is also judging as well?"

No, though we have agreed that the Media Panel can help us break ties, if there is a case where there is one. Otherwise, the Media Panel is not judging.

"All this information is cool and all, but whatever. Let's get to the point, who's covering the contest this year?"

Good Question Mike. As I had mentioned, Johnny, Donnie and Mega G are all joining back with us in our fun this year. Here's a complete* list of our Media Panel Coverage and lineup.

- Mega G. Wolf
    - SomeCallMeJohnny
    - Cobanermani456
    - Geek Critique
    - SonicParadox
    - Tails' Channel
    - Bartman and SEGARetroChannel

Along with our Youtube and Livestream coverage, we also have Reverie, our newest judge, who is also hosting her radio show throughout the whole shebang. Just listen to RadioRev, and you'll be able to keep up with the happenings of the contest. If you can't watch it, you could always just listen in, right? I'll give more details about this aspect closer towards the contest week, so just watch out.

* Do note, this is simply our official list, knowingly there will be others who may join us, but can not or have not been able to confirm a finalized schedule of being able to participate at this time. Just listen to RadioRev, as her station will be providing news and updates on Contest events as they come.

"WOAH DANG SUPEREGG!!!! THAT IS SOME SERIOUS CAKE YOU JUST THREW DOWN! But I have one more question to ask. Watching streams is really cool, and the main contest is real cool, but is there anything else happening?"

Slow down there Mike, I was just getting to that!

Though I don't want to go into specifics, this year I do plan on having workshops and Mini-Contests to be held. More details to come, but this year's Mini-Contests won't be a mess, so it'll definitely be fun. As far as workshops go, I have something special in mind for it, but once again, I can't say all that much just yet. I'll talk about a little bit more right before contest week.

So there you have it folks, a rundown of what to expect during this year's contest. I hope this is the news you guys have been looking for. And remember folks, we the judges have been hard at work organizing the best damned Sonic Hacking Contest since 1891. We were getting close with last year's, but this year, we are definitely going to overtake the original contest.

As a closing, I'm gonna steal that old line from Spanner.

"Ready, set, and Procrastinate!"

8. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    Heh, a Media section is certainly awesome, I was gonna try covering this years Hacking Contest as well (much easier then SAGE anywho, since I can play all but Generations stuff), so it's nice to see it's coming through more official now.

9. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Hey, I didn't see this covered in the rules or anything like that, so I wanted to ask: If I provided music as part of someone's hack, should I be considered a part of the "team" as far as the entry goes?

10. JansenM

JansenM

Devon, UK
    Generations mods
    This is still persisting, by the way. I've a _ in one of the credited usernames and it ain't too pretty :v:

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    You can still be credited without being part of a team.

Also, note to everyone that tomorrow is the last day to submit to the contest. If you're not ready remember you have a week after the deadline to finish up an entry, but we need something playable by the next deadline, if it's still incomplete by then it will not be judged.

12. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Thaaaaat's it folks! New entries (and new teams) are now closed off! Those of you who got an entry started in time, remember you now have an additional week to get your entry up to snuff and set completed as either Public or Partial Private, or else it will not be eligible for voting on. Also remember to request Media reviewing for your Partial Private entries should you wish it; this will mean it will possibly be shown in streams, reviews, etc, but the ROM itself will not be made public. If you just wish judges to see the ROM, and the only thing public being the screenshots, videos and description you provide, then you don't have to do anything more.

We have almost double the number of entries in total this year than we did last, so it has been an absolutely brilliant turn out. I am very much looking forward to playing what everyone has come up with this time.

I wish everyone who has entered the best of luck in the contest!

13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I won't be posting a list of the entries until next week to avoid mentioning incomplete entries that might not make the update deadline but we are looking at a good contest this year.

14. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    B'aww, I've been really impatient about waiting for my super-duper-secret project to be revealed. :3

(Then again, I still have a lot to do and I'm really cutting it close.)

15. JojHeywood

JojHeywood

Arbitrary. Member
    I recall last year a list was made of who had entered, their hack's title and how private it was being made and posted here, were their complaints about this or am I recalling what's to happen in roughly a weeks time this time last year?

16. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    It'll get posted next week just so the ones that don't make the update deadline and are still incomplete aren't mentioned.

17. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Another question, this one's just for curiosity's sake. Is it considered by-the-rules to submit a Generations mod compilation? Like, a "pack" of mods under one project name? It seems like that'd be bending the rules quite a bit, not to mention generally excessive in filesize and other ways.

18. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Why couldn't they just be submitted separately?

19. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I'm not saying they can't, I just caught wind that someone might've been trying to do that and couldn't help but wonder if it was actually allowed.

20. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    Lolwut?

I've seen you ask some weird questions in this thread about the rules and trying to find technicalities over these past few days. Just read the rules. Literally, that is all you have to do. The rules that are in place is setup to be as flexible as possible, but at the same time, have fairly specific limits.

All in all, stop being worried that somebody is going to get an unfair advantage, or not be credited, etc.. Like, come now man, you're being too paranoid.

And to answer your above question, why wouldn't it be allowed? Let me put this into this perspective...

There is a user who wants to submit a Sonic 1 hack that has had all the level art changed. music changed, and the character art changed. Does that mean he has to create three separate entries because they are three different aspects or, does that mean he has to submit the three roms, each one only containing one change? No.

Generations mods are no different. If the creator of said hack makes other changes to Generations it is all one hack. It is not "three separate hacks" plopped into one entry. That just sounds like pure silliness.
    p
    Even if the case where it was against the rules, which it isn't btw, we'd kindly tell him to separate the entry. =P