don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sounds reasonable to me.

2. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Original the level, DO NOT STEAL

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Wow I feel like an ass... Don't have the time to work on a video as a response. Hope you'll accept my apologies in a text format.
    Thanks for taking your time in making a video response in place of a simple screenshot. and I'm sorry you had to waste any valuable time that could have been better used working on your project.
    I've had work stolen in the past which makes me a little sensitive to seeing something similar pop up, I could have sworn that was my loop model as seen in the first video's start up title before pressing the youtube play button.

When I had originally posted I only asked to see a wireframe, but my emotions got the best of me and I kept editing like a stupid fool adding all the other crap. Hell I was pretty worked up. but who wouldn't be in a situation like that?
    Normally I don't put down ones modeling ability even if its really bad, I usually attempt to give advise to help improve. in this case again I was worked up. so sorry about that.

4. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Now I don't know who to side with: The guy who wrote his argument with the worst possible outcome in mind, so he talked about a bad thing with bad words D:, or the guy that made a video and wrote a small speech about how the other's prediction was incorrect and how he was wrong by being less than happy about the possibility of a bad thing.

EDIT: Ninja'd... by 8 minutes?!

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Everyone likes drama !
    Check out the views ! Looks like we've got a little side show circus event going on over in this here side of Retro.
    Anyways hope there are no hard feelings.
    [​IMG]

6. JojHeywood

JojHeywood

Arbitrary. Member
    To be fair, this section of the forum does attract attention regardless of whether two people talking to each other is going on.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think when there are lots of posts in the Generations mod topic, people get excited because they think there is new content. Sonic Generations is the closest we have to a Sonic playground in the 3D realm.

8. Might as well post what I sent Andrew privately :)/>

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I think since Sarsion is a trial member , Maybe he should get some kind of post amount reimbursement since he's wasted some on account of my accusations.
    (Also I hope his work with the mod community should be enough to grant a full membership when the time comes)

10. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    I second that, I feel pretty bad about a similar case in the past, but it was way more than one or two posts...

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    He should be just fine. I mean, look at me, I've done jack shit and I've been here forever, posting wayyyyyyy too much.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I've had a warning from Tweaker that's still in effect. Shouldn't that be gone by now?

12. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I'm honestly surprised that brianuuuSonic couldn't let himself live without trying to refute my criticisms.

As much as I want to reply, it's pretty much a lost cause. He refuses to take even a single inch of criticism, instead throwing out both passive-aggressive and just straight-up aggressive retorts. I mean, he literally wrote off my entire response as a "hate post," which is pretty cute. Either way, I'm not bothered by the people that mindlessly approve of and support his attitude and decisions. That's why Retro has such a strict standard for members, after all; so that an open-minded and respectful community can be created, not one where everyone says "NO YOU'RE WRONG AND STUPID GO AWAY LOL"

edit:
    The only thing I'm willing to comment on is the rather blatant irony of
    when he blocked me from his channel, which is literally the reason I posted my responses here instead. Either way, this guy's a hilarious bag of hot air. The only reason I won't go into an actual debate with him is because of his aggressive attitude; I could refute so many of his flimsy arguments if he acted like a respectable human being and not a 10-yr-old with an overblown ego.

13. winterhell

winterhell

@ Neko Sol: just let him be. If he wants so much to waste his time remaking stupid things, its 99% his time. You waste only couple of minutes to watch the video.

14. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I honestly got a bit of a chuckle out of that... It's just so hard to imagine him getting official membership after the reputation he's made for himself.

That sounds more or less accurate. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was initially drawn here by Generations hacking, and seeing it develop has been a very interesting experience. I've even gotten to learn some of the broader strokes of modding, even if I've only ever gone as far as music swapping and mucking about in .ar files myself.

It's just a shame we don't have more people actively working on Generations modding. Perhaps one of these days I'll dive in and start working on a level port of my own.

15. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    [​IMG]These aren't the teasers you're looking for, move along

16. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

I'm working on something. Hacking contest release at the latest, I promise.

17. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I finally sat down to play brianuuuSonic's STH2006 Project demo, just to give him the benefit of the doubt. Spoiler Alert: It's really bad.

Speaking of which,
    http://youtu.be/fxnXShP9K_4
    I want to say "He did a good job making his port feel just as bad as the original," but if what I played was anything to go by, it's even more broken than that.

Just to name a view of the fallacies I found: Bad mod structure, bad UVs, glitchy and ugly water textures/shaders, camera issues, collision issues, automation issues, design inconsistency issues, etc. That's not even mentioning his obsessive need to port every last bit of 06, down to the in-level dialogue (Which, I shit you not, is even more pointless than in the original game. In Wave Ocean, Sonic has his little "Tails, push the gate switch!" exchange after he's already past that section). He also hacked Gens' cutscene sequence to bring us the wonderful awkwardness of 06's original cutscenes, now in lower quality. My original argument was that he was trying to port every bad aspect of 06, but at this point, it goes far beyond that. He's made 06 worse than ever.

18. winterhell

winterhell

Has he tried to artificially inflate the loading times, maybe make them a 'loading screen cutscene' ?

19. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    DON'T GIVE HIM IDEAS

20. Your criticisms seem unnecessarily harsh. Yeah, he ported a bad level from a bad game, and it's not the best port job, but it looks infinitely more playable than the original.

I understand you don't like the guy, and maybe with good reason, but there's no need to air that here.