don't click here

Sonic Adventure Tokyo International Forum Booklet (Pictures/Scans)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Orengefox, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Imagine yourself in Tokyo, Japan. The date is August 22nd, 1998. There's thousands of people including yourself waiting in front of the Tokyo International Forum for the unveiling of Sonic Adventure. It'll be the first time the general public has ever seen it in action. You're finally in the Tokyo International Forum. As you're making your way to the presentation, you see some selling booths where SEGA is selling a couple of things to remember the event. A set of Sonic Adventure Pins and this...

[​IMG]

Download the digital copy of this book [HERE]

Was only ever sold during the Tokyo International Forum unveiling of Sonic Adventure (1998-08-22). Apart from the leaked early screenshots of Sonic Adventure, this book contains some of the earliest screenshots of Sonic Adventure during it's development. Some of which I've never seen before. You can't get any earlier screenshots than this (a really early build of Sonic Adventure can only rectify this now).

So you finally make it to the presentation and what a sight to be hold. After the presentation, you can't stop thinking about how amazing the event was. The only thing you would like more than anything now is to have the privilege of playing it before it hits the shelves. Well, the Sonic Adventure AutoDemo is as good as it gets so far. Just to further give you an idea of what it was like to be at the Tokyo International Forum unveiling of Sonic Adventure (1998-08-22), check these videos out:

FUSE report on the unveiling of Sonic Adventure & Sega Dreamcast in Tokyo ( Circa 1998 )

Sonic Adventure unveiling at the Tokyo International Forum - Official SEGA VHS (Part 1)

And there you have it. I thought it would be better to make a new topic for this instead. That way it's not clogging the AutoDemo topic up with something that doesn't really have anything to do with the AutoDemo. As for the download, unfortunately my scanner wasn't big enough to scan each page. So at the very least, I was able to take crisp photo shots of each page. I'll be getting a new bigger scanner at some point as my old one is on it's way out. In the mean time, I can scan sharp crisp images of whatever screenshots you folks would like to see. If anyone can translate all the pages, that would be amazing and all. Enjoy!

2. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Until you mentioned it, I honestly didn't realize these were photos. Pretty good as it is, although I look forward to the scans!

And until now, I never really could appreciate just how different City Hall looked. It's pretty awesome that we've got this now.

3. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    This will help nicely for the video I'm making to show off the WV beta mod. Which is coming soon btw. Thanks for the awesome pics.

4. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Very nice! It's awesome to see these. It really is interesting how different lighting seems to be in these images as opposed to the final release. There's a smoothness to the lighting that I don't feel is there in the final version. In places it looks similar to how SA2 handles lighting. But I'm not technically minded in the least, so I don't really know what I'm talking about :specialed:

Maybe people here who know what they're talking about can tell me if these lighting maps are different?

5. Linkabel

Linkabel

If you got this on YJA then I'm glad it was you that got it and not a reseller because then it probably would've been up on ebay for like $400. It's pretty cool what it has inside :D

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So I posted this on SSMB and well, turns out your not alone Orengefox:

Interested guys?

7. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I'd like someone to take another crack at getting a good rip of the VHS tape. H.264 rip pls.

Anyways, nice work on getting pictures for the book. I really like the old lighting they used for the models in these shots. I'd take these over the glossy crap in the DX versions any day.

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Crap, I convinced Soniko to join but shes stuck in "Pending Membership" until someone comes on and validates. hopefully someone does soon :\.

9. darkspines35

darkspines35

It's Easy Actually. No, seriously. Tech Member
    .V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Also, this whole image dump is great Orenge! I'm so glad you managed to find this. I'm hoping someone translates this at some point.

Plus we get to see the image Big was plastered over in the opening FMV:
    [​IMG]

"Sonic Adventure clear files?" I knew about the rest of this, but hadn't heard of these "clear files." Maybe they're something new? I dunno. Hopefully she does get validated soon though. I'd like to see what these "clear files" are, haha.

10. Catley

Catley

[​IMG]

I managed to clean Gamma's screenshot with merging the image of Big shown in the intro FMV.

Colors aren't up to snuff in some areas, but you get the general idea.

11. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Where's Gamma's '102'? These screenshots date all the way back to these?

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fixed. If you could let her know that she's got posting access that'd be great =P

13. Lady Soniko

Lady Soniko

That's Head Bitch of Honnouji, pig. Member
    Right bear with me, I currently can't find the VHS or one of the clear files right now, it's been years since I bought them and I'll have to dig through a lot of stuff to get them.

[​IMG]

Booklet, Clear File, Event Ticket and Survey card.

[​IMG]

Event Ticket Close-up

[​IMG]

Back of event ticket

[​IMG]

Front of Survey card

[​IMG]

Back of survey card

[​IMG]

Front of Clear File (gorgeous SA art works <3 )

[​IMG]

Back of Clear File (It's only one sided like most traditional clear files)

[​IMG]

This is the one I can't find currently, so I'm using an old photo of it from the seller I bought it from (or my friend bought it from, who then sold it to me lol)

This is also the design of the tote bag they gave away to carry all the freebies/stuff you bought around at the press event, kinda like the E3 swag bags you get nowadays.

So yeah, tote bag was made of tough paper with plastic loop handles adorned with the above artwork on both sides.

I do believe I have one for those Jet Set Radio fruit machines? Is anyone interested in that?

14. Catley

Catley

Oh, Jesus, my anticipation of your contribution builds with you, Soniko!

15. darkspines35

darkspines35

It's Easy Actually. No, seriously. Tech Member
    .V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    That's...actually a really good point. He has his numbers by the AutoDemo...but not here. He doesn't seem to have it in any of the other shots of him in the brochure either. Maybe they just hadn't gotten around to that just yet. I mean, the Froggy cutscene with the E-100 units are all using Gamma as the base anyway, so it'd make sense this was prior to them having done those details.

16. Catley

Catley

Anything TGS-related generally has a trend of showing material from earlier builds of the game. Like Sonic's spinball texture had a white slash in the footage, but not in the autodemo. Some differences are cosmetic, while something on the scale of Windy Valley is ridiculous.

17. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    The booklet was never news to us. We knew it existed. Why is this suddenly a big deal? Because we finally have pictures/scans of the entire booklet which no one has done up until now and will be put in the archive. Why hasn't this been covered up until now? Because we've tried approaching people in the past about archiving certain stuff and they were quick to say no because it might ruin it, the value of it decreases, someone might steal said pictures/scans to claim it as theirs and god knows what else.

If you can provide us with a better quality video of that VHS tape, new good quality pictures/scans of that other stuff, that would be wonderful.

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    There's an image of the Sky Chase Dragon in there, I'm very fuzzy on the history. Did we know about that boss before it was found by someone looking through the game? If not there was an official image of it all this time. Either way this is an absolute delight to look through and I'm so appreciative that you've been able to share this with us. This is a great time to love Adventure.

19. Before it was found in-game we knew that it had existed at one point, but much like the Windy Valley Beta we were under the false impression that it was lost to the world.