don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Still alive and still working on stuff btw.

http://youtu.be/2fAkw7kcQPw

Gonna quote the description here:
    Just showing off my progress so far since the last shaders video (2 months ago). Remember that this new branch of SonicGLvl is a complete re-write from scratch, so this version of the editor does not have as many features as the last stable version just yet. Currently I'm trying to finish everything that is related to object layout editing, and once that's done, focus on everything that has to do with Terrain/GI/Materials.

Features that have been worked on since the last video:
    • Object Palette and Object Placement
    • Object Property Editing: Only common properties will show up if objects of multiple types are selected, and they can all be edited at the same time, making stuff like enabling shadows or tweaking ranges much easier.
    • Object Property Interfaces: Each property type is being given much more control with its own type of window pop-ups when editing. Vector and Vector Lists have nodes that show up in the main Viewport and can be dragged around, changes to properties can be easily undo/redo'd.
    • Visibility Toggles for Collision/Objects/Terrain
    • Graphical Options and (partial) Framebuffer effects support: stuff like water/glass refraction shaders works now.
    • UV anim support: animated textures such as sky, objects, waterfall, etc.
    • WIP Camera Manager with priority system to handle camera previewing along with transitions as accurate as possible. Still in very early stages, but with enough research into the cameras, it should be possible to get good playback.
    • Havok Skeleton and Rigging support for the .model files used both in templates and the ghost. Previously the Ghost's model was just a custom Ogre .mesh. Now it uses the original chr_Sonic_HD.model, which is why his shading looks pretty similar to in-game.
    • Omni lights support. Now stages like Chemical Plant with its multiple colored lights look much more accurate.
    • Gizmos have been reworked to move much more accurately.
    • Paths now properly use the tangent vectors included in the game to give an accurate and smoothly curved representation of the splines in the editor. They're also colored differently depending on their function (2D, Quickstep, Dash, Guide, Grind Rail).
    • The ghost attempts to keep track of when it goes through mode changers or objects that affect its current movement mode, since it's pretty much needed to get accurate playback of the cameras. Whenever the player is not affected by a camera, it will try to use the "default" camera that the game calculates for it based on the current movement mode. (If it's in 2D, it'll change to be a sideways camera, in 3D it's a forward camera, etc.)

As always, update coming out "When it's Done" (tm) and once it reaches feature parity with 0.5.7.

Probably not gonna have the time to work on something for the hacking contest since I need to keep working on this and help Melpontro for the next episode of the stream. We'll see how it goes, working on the editor has been taking much longer than expected as the code-base keeps growing, but I have a much more solid base to work on now.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Will performance be better with this version? I was all excited when I figured out how to load levels into SonicGLvl till I could barely do anything with it.

3. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    It should be actually. The terrain streamer will hide/show stuff that is far away from the camera depending on some configuration settings, and the graphical settings can be switched from the In-Game shaders to the regular previewing if needed, since Ogre supports easily switching from one rendering technique to the other for all materials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    I keep seeing model replacements that put the Dreamcast sonic model in generations but I see no download links. Does anyone know where I can get that? Sorry if this is the wrong place.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wait hold up they got the dreamcast model working in generations?! :O

Do show us.

6. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Timey-Wimey detector.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Gene wants. :colbert:

8. Falk

Falk

Brianuuuu is so going to love that messed up boost pad animation for his 2006 mod

9. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Timey-Wimey detector.
    So does screwdriver. :colbert:.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9OkTe_R6g

11. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Wouldn't be worth trying to use their skeletons and just rerigging it myself. It doesn't take that much work, but I'm in no rush to do anything with it.

12. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

13. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over 100,000 polygons in Generations and it still runs fine, unless you run it at over 4k then it gets a bit sluggish. But I just did this because way back Lobotomy wanted something like this done, and I did a half-arsed version of it for Generations. I spent a whole day today and reused the Unleashed models vertex colors and alpha for the eyes to make it look correct. Also higher poly rings and reused the vertex coloring from Unleashed to make it like that instead.

Honestly the only other thing I would need is better resolution and detail textures for Sonic himself honestly.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    What did you do exactly? Put the Unleashed model in Generations?

15. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed model is 17k poly, this is 100k poly. I already ported the Unleashed model to Generations way back. I just did this for Lobotomy(and I was bored) since I did this before with Generations Sonic but it didn't turn out well since I didn't know how things worked back then. Now I actually know how the inners for the models work now so things don't get blurry and messy with the weights of the skinning.

So basically, its Unleashed model very smooth with my own shoe models.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Oh. Ok. Impressive work.

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Be cool to see how TZ's 100K poly Sonic model compares to a XBO/PS4 Sonic model later on...

You are one craaaaaazy son of a gun, y'know that? XD

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Those dead, dead eyes... =P

19. JansenM

JansenM

Devon, UK
    Generations mods
    Finally progressing with this once again.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQhXOlOqFwE[/media]
    (Why is this not embedding?)

GIA mockup:

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    HTTPS links don't embed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQhXOlOqFwE