don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Over a 20+ year old game we've been able to play for....20+ years.

2. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    With new features not seen in that 20 year old game I might add.

3. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    A++ post would recommend again.

4. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    One whole level and a broken multiplayer mode. Sure was worth the wait.

5. Felik

Felik

Really? These are the only features you've noticed?
    Also nobody was "waiting" for a remastered version for 20 years. One day Tax and SEGA just decided to make it and, well, made it.

It's ok for you to not desire a PC port of remastered versions of classic games, just don't make up stupid reasons why we should not do it either.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Duuuude, it's an almost-perfect conversion that can be ported without emulation so it can use each system's native features, and can also be the basis for some fine future classics*!

*Hopefully, with the original designers on board.

7. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    ...and remastered music, and 60fps special stages, and widescreen... and if it comes to XBLA/PSN/Steam, achievements.

I think it's understandable why people want to replace their emulated versions of the game. I wish, however, that whatever SEGA's plans, they would just tell us. If they're gonna do it, say it's in the works, and if they're not, say it's not gonna happen. This radio silence is IMO far more annoying than the lack of a PC/console release.

8. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Plus unused beta content that was finally put to use in some way, shape, or form (minus the obvious, disappointing lack of Track #10).

Maybe that wasn't the best wording on my part, so I'll rephrase it: I wish they would quit needlessly keeping us in suspense. Yes, I read Stealth's post from months ago, which stated that he and The Taxman have little say on the matter, so they're not the ones I'm blaming for this. Sega of America are the ones who are at fault, here. There's an overwhelming amount of demand for these remakes to get console ports, and it still hasn't happened, even though it's been nearly a year since the Sonic 1 remake was released. There's no way they could be this oblivious, considering the fact that there are about two or three threads about it on the official Sega forums. So, what's keeping them?

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sonic 2 took a team far bigger than 2 people a year to put out. Sonic 3 also wasn't announced immediately after 2 was kicked out the door. You're being a tad unreasonable here.

I'd also prefer a console COLLECTION than every title individually - on a disk, so it can be actually preserved for the long term.

10. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    I will say, the work they did was amazing, but even after playing through those ports, they're still the same games I've played for the past 20 years. The remastered music, widescreen presentation and 3D recreated special stages are fan-freaking-tastic. Without a doubt, this is how these ports should be done from here on. But, if you really want them, there are plenty of iOS and Android platforms out there that output to a TV that you can slap a controller into. A game playing device can be as real as you want them to be.

[​IMG]

Those special stages are still boring to play.

Actually, I honestly don't like how the Retro Engine version of Sonic 1 handles the special stages. Why is Sonic able to squeeze through those areas hes not supposed to? That's way more annoying than the smooth rotation.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah.... This makes me think that it might be a good thing to re-check for bugs that haven't been fixed yet in all three released classics, before the definitive collection we're all waiting for is even considered.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    fuck, was the speed shoes bug in CD ever fixed in the PC/console ports?

13. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Radio silence, regardless of what the answer is, can be somewhat disappointing, but I'm sure they have very good reasons. They don't owe us a thing, and we already have plenty of hacks that fix things up. I'm quite satisfied with Sonic 3 Complete, mobile port or not.

Huh, what speed shoes bug in CD? Also, which version are you talking about, the 1995 Windows/Gems port or 2011 remake?

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    2011 remake. If you have the speed shoes and press a direction while in the air when the original spin dash physics are on, you hit the speed cap, which you shouldn't. Given how much of a focus the game puts on the speed shoes compared to just about every other Sonic game ever, it's a really egregious error, borderline game-breaking.

It's described on the wiki, albeit very imprecisely/misleadingly.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think that was fixed on everything but the console versions.

16. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    They aren't. It's announced for iOS and Android and they have not made even the suggestion that it will come to anything else. Assume it is not coming to any other platform until announced otherwise. Any "suspense" is completely a product of your own imagination and desire.

Fixed on iOS and Android. Not sure about Windows Phone. Definitely not on anything else.

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    So Sega has just released Sonic Unleashed on the PSN store, despite their strained relationship with Sony and their 2010 delisting of the game to "increase the value of the brand" (though I assume the likes of Sonic 4 and Lost World rendered that quality declaration moot :U). You guys think this raises the chances for Sonic 3&K (presumably a TaxStealth remastering-if it is actually in the works) finally coming to PSN?

I want to believe but I highly doubt it.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    For Unleashed they just had to put the disc version on PSN, so they didn't really have to use much effort to get it on PSN. I wouldn't take it as any indication of other Sonic games aside from those already on disc coming to PSN.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So, question, how do I get the level select to work in Bluestacks?

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I used the multitouch screen of my notebook, but that's cheating I guess (pun intended) :v: