don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Holy shit, is Sonic part mummy now? I actually wouldn't mind those designs as much if they'd have kept the shoes the same. Sonic's shoes are like the Superman emblem, you can give it a tweak, but changing it outright fucks the whole thing up.

2. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

Wow. I take an extended break (I actually should have come back after the holidays), and here we are with all this.

What to say, what to say...

Well, Tails looks fine, Eggman's good, and Amy looks GREAT! I do miss Sonic's tan arms, but it's not as weird as seeing Fingers the Beefcake. Also, BANDAGE WRAPS!!! Seriously, what's up with that? They make the characters look injured. Isn't this suppose to be a comedy/adventure cartoon? Maybe they've been touching those laser whip things from the trailers too much. :rolleyes:
    Also, does EVERYONE have Super Speed now? I remember when that was just Sonic's thing...

And yet, I still wish the best for this series, and hope that the quality of Sonic Boom improves. I want them to design Sonic a bit more game accurately before they release anything, but that probably won't happen.
    I liked the trailer for the game! Really, I did! Love that music too. Where is that from? Are they saying "Boomerang" in that song?
    Either way, I know, I'm repeating what everyone else has said, big whoop. I guess it's hard to think of anything to say since it's been confirmed that this cartoon won't replace or affect the current Sonic we have, so I guess we should all just relax and enjoy the ride? :colbert:

...Also, how long until Eggman officially changes his name again to Egghead? :)

3. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    In S3K their speed is pretty much equal. Keeping their speed on par is the only way co-op would feel fair, and it ensures that playing the game as each character will feel balanced (unlike in, say, Adventure).

It's Skrillex's "Bangarang". Personally, I think it didn't fit in the trailer at all, and I think Skrillex sucks. But that's me, and I'm not going to yuck your yum or anything.

4. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    At this point, besides the designs I'm 50-50 on, the only thing else that seems out of place here is those weird lazer-whip things. They don't really make much sense in why they exist besides gameplay gimmick.

Also, Eggman totally reminds me of P3DRO's fangame design, and I just realized that Pender's future Tails has a very similar design to this Tails as well (don't say anything though, he may try to sue them too :rolleyes: )

5. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

Thanks, man! :thumbsup: ...Your username sounds familiar. Do you sell Mexican food? :)

6. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    Someone noted in the trailer when they all fall down, Amy Rose is the only one who manages to land properly, rather than kissing the ground.

I really hope that means we're getting an Amy with more sass and independence. You know, the Amy Rose that her Adventure ending promised us back in 1999, before Sega flanderized her back into "SONIC MARRY ME" mode.

I also like that the cartoon has Tails being useful and not babbling for the sake of babble. He just gets his electric whip going and acts, rahter than narrating every little thing being done.

To be honest the only thing I don't like about this still is Knuckles, though maybe I can grow to appreciate him. Knuckles was never a character I cared much for anyway - but can't help but feel they could have just subbed him for Bark the Polar Bear really.

7. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Man these designs are well beyond ass-level, but at least the trailer looks okay. I could tolerate the different shoes, the scarf was an okay design choice, but why the weird smaller spikes that look way out of place on the model but not in the concept art? Why some stupid energy power rope Macguffin? Why bring Sonic back to 2006 posture? Why the sports tape abuse? Why the blue arms? Why the steroids? Why the center mouth? Amy has an okay-ish design, same with Tails and Eggman, but there are some small details, specifically facial, that just look way off.

This is some Skylanders/New TMNT marketing bullshit for sure. They Westernized Sonic again and it's just as much of a downgrade as it was in 1991-1995.

8. corneliab

corneliab

People actually like the idea of a show with Colors style humor? That sounds like a nightmare.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Reminder that the sharks are circling and looking for flesh to chew into. =P

10. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    So after about two hours of feeling utter despair, I managed to scrounge up enough anger to care about this again :P

The game looks very fun to play. It's in good development hands, too.

The series' preview didn't woo me much in terms of writing- didn't like how gimmicky the chaotix ring thing felt, and it felt all too forcedly cheesy. The descriptions given for some of the future eps are brilliant though.

... so if only the art design didn't go pretty much 100% against everything I like in this franchise and in cartoons in general I'd be very happy :P

However, with the clarification that it won't be replacing the actual canon, I can deal with it. Heck, I'll probably even buy the game. Not so sure on watching the show, harder to ignore the art in a show than in a game.

Also have to say I'm taking some joy on having been told that the silhouettes weren't enough to form an opinion on this, and well, now it's revealed it's everything I feared when I saw the silhouettes :v:

11. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    I don't know. I'm optimistic about the game, perhaps mainly due to the fact that more than Sonic is actually playable for once. Though it probably has a lot to do with ex-Naughty Dog (Crash and Jak era) working on it. What I find interesting is that we actually already saw the game forever ago in a CryTek Engine 3 Licensee demo, but no one noticed it.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Fun fact: footage of the Wii U game was actually shown in a Cryengine 3 showcase video one year ago. It's the first game shown:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8T3pe9G4Pc

13. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    You didn't trash Sparks' beautiful Shadow concept art yourself, did you Overlord? Don't break my heart.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I didn't personally, no. However the point stands. =P

As for the CryEngine footage - it's blatantly it in retrospect, but seriously, how could anyone have seen that in advance? There's nothing specifically Sonic about that footage at all.

15. corneliab

corneliab

Another fun fact: that's been pointed out a handful of times already.

16. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    I don't know, maybe I just expected someone to pick it out considering people here are wizards. I didn't actually see this CryTek video until now, so of course all I have is the "well that's obvious".

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    What's the possibility that Sega had Big Red Button turn what they had into a Sonic-themed game?

18. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I dunno, what little they've shown has already proven itself to be considerably better than Colors' writing, IMO. I liked Sonic being a cocky dipshit to Egghead Eggman. It worked, in exactly the way Sonic failing to pronounce "wisp" didn't. The story ideas they've shown are also very un-Colors. This seems to be aiming a little more for deliberately immature, rather than just weird and random.

19. Conando

Conando

Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    I don't think it's likely, the interviews make it sound like this was the intention from the start.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    So now he's Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, otherwise known as Egghead Robuttnik?