don't click here

Pokémon DarkViolet

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Chaos Rush, May 28, 2013.

1. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    [deleted]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  2. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Okay, turns out I didn't have a clean image the whole time, so no wonder that wasn't working. :specialed: I'm really amazed by how much deeper this hack's story feels already, it's giving me the same vibes Pokemon Black did with the seriousness.

And that's interesting to know. Looking forward to the fixes on the off chance I bump into any of them while playing the rest of the current release.

3. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    [deleted]

4. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    [deleted]

5. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    Exciting progress! I've been keeping an eye on this as you've been working on it. Great stuff.

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I haven't taken it for a spin yet but I definitely plan to when my controller mount for my phone comes in. Any day now, hopefully. I'm pretty excited to play this.

7. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Last night, I got as far as beating Pewter City Gym, and scaring off Team Rocket afterwards. (Already have a Wartortle at lv20, those extra battles really help.) This is already far more engaging than the original game, I'm loving it a lot and look forward to playing it more tonight. It feels like a legit special edition, Chaos Rush.

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    The more I see of this, the more excited I get. I'm still waiting for the final version before I play it, but this looks like great work so far.

9. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Please give me your feedback when you try it out! One of my favorite things about posting this hack online is reading everyone's reactions.

Thank you! I hope that you're training more than just your Wartortle, because I specifically want the boss characters to be +1-2 levels above your team, assuming you're training a team.

Why wait until the final version? You can use the same save file for future releases. And it could take awhile for the final version to come out.

10. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Because if I get to the current end point and it takes a while, I'll have trouble continuing where I left off. I'm not good at continuing JRPGs (or really any game that doesn't have individual, distinct stages) after long periods of time without getting confused and lost. I'd rather wait so I can play the whole thing in one go.

11. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I see, that makes sense. I've never finished Twilight Princess because I'll always get to a certain point and not play it for awhile, and then if I play it again I'm confused as hell as to what to do so I always restart and the cycle continues :v:

12. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I've done that so much with Metroid games in the past, I know the feeling. :specialed:

An extra challenge sounds nice. I could definitely tell that Brock's team; almost didn't get through Omynite's defenses with water gun, but a few lucky critical hits got me through it.

I usually build teams of three Pokemon that get properly trained, (Might go for a Flareon and whichever other favorite I find along the way.) and three others are HM slaves or a legendary, so this is going to be a wild ride for sure. Kanto's gym leaders are no pushovers, so my bag's going to be exploding with lemonades when I reach Celedon City.

And I swear, if there are any vendors for Moomoo milk in this hack, this is going to be me!

13. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I can tell you just from the sound of it, I really like the idea of this hack. I have only ever played all the way through Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold and Leaf Green. Having an expansion of the one I am actually familiar with will be great. I also like being able to get all the Pokémon in one game instead of having to self trade (unless you have to still do that with the choice Pokémon, most annoying being Omanyte/Kabuto because you have to get to near the end of the game to actually receive either one)

Oh I know what you mean about Metroid. For the first game I prefer to complete it in one sitting or not at all because I hate restocking on health upon continuing. It takes way too long.

14. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Just a minor glitch warning: Please do not equip the Quick Claw to any of your Pokémon.

Some people have been reporting that battles freeze when sending out certain Pokémon, and I found out that it only freezes because they had the Quick Claw attached. There was a minor conflict with Quick Claw's code when MrDollSteak added the new abilities for me, but it's already fixed for the next release.

The current release is Beta 2.0. I am already working on Beta 2.1, and the Quick Claw freeze glitch has already been fixed, and I'm adjusting a few other details.

So to avoid people reporting, "The game freezes in battle for no reason!", please don't use the Quick Claw. In fact, don't talk to the lady in the green dress in Pewter City at all, that way you'll never obtain the Quick Claw :v:/>/>

(when Beta 2.1 comes out, you're all free to use the Quick Claw however you want)

And also, please be aware of the No Guard ability's function. Someone actually reported that their Machoke was hit while it was using Dig, but that's actually not a glitch because the No Guard ability assures that every move used by or against that Pokémon can't miss. It's understandable why it's easily mistaken for a glitch, seeing as how No Guard isn't even in FireRed to begin with, and that very few Pokémon can have No Guard in the official games.

15. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    [deleted]

16. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I've been playing this in half hour spurts whenever I can. I'm really loving the depth this story has, and the plot twist I already bumped into was great. All the little references like "Bruce" the hiker, and the Rocket member who forgot his suit, made my sides sore from snickering too hard. (Can't exactly laugh out loud during the evenings.) This special edition has a great sense of humor where it counts.

Haven't beaten it yet, (Or at least gotten to Saffron in the current beta.) still gotta take on Koga, but wow am I impressed with how necessarily scary Team Rocket is now. The grunts don't have crappy Pokemon anymore, great for EXP gains, and their schemes reek of "shit just got real man", especially on the S.S Anne. I feel like the dialogue used "blow up" a little infrequently, but that can be easily remedied with more variety in the vocabulary. Besides that, the story has peeks of happiness and dark seriousness very well balanced, like Shantae Risky's Revenge does.

Also, my fancy was tickled so hard when the shops had Ethers in stock, and the surprise egg having an Eevee inside, like, you have no idea. The lack of Full Heals suck, (I always need them for curing Confusion.) but Lava Cookies work too. I nearly broke the bank happily stocking up on 31x Lemonades, though, it takes quite a while to get to Celadon City.

Surprisingly, I've bumped into a game-breaking bug, and that's pretty rare for someone like me. My team so far consists of Mismagius, Blastoise, and Espeon. (I nearly unloaded all my money with glee on that stone merchant, no kidding.) Espeon's Magic Bounce ability is hilariously epic and I love it, but it might have a couple of issues to iron out.

[​IMG]

While fighting an Altaria in Pokemon Tower, it used Sing, which bounced back on itself, and it got stuck in an infinite loop of the special effect not stopping. So the battle could not continue and I had to reset. This is pretty easy to avoid since the ability is Espeon's, all I had to do was fight Altaria with Blastoise and Mismagius instead, but it still made me ragequit until the next day.

EDIT : TYPOS SUCK

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Awesome hack!

One nitpick: WHY DID YOU CHANGE KANTO'S SUPERIOR GRASS TO HOENN'S :(

I like the new songs and HGSS imports :)!

18. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    lol was the plot twist you're talking about
    1. That the purple rock is Deoxys, since people doing LP's of this hack on YouTube all think it's Mewtwo until they get to that part, which makes sense because Mewtwo is still the mascot

or

2. PLOT TWIST! Go back to Viridian City after Pokemon Tower

Either way, I hope you stay tuned to play the final release so you'll see how Mewtwo ties into all of this. I've already planned out the entire story on a word document prior to starting this project, though I will admit that parts of the story were revised as the hack progressed (which is common with many video games).

Haha, thanks. I will admit that my vocabulary isn't that great, but of course, this is still a work-in-progress so nothing is final yet.

The Mart sells Full Heals after you get 5 Badges, just like in the Gen IV, V, and VI games.

Just out of curiosity, are you playing the latest version, Beta 2.1? There were some problems with Magic Bounce in Beta 2.0 that were fixed. If you are indeed playing 2.1, well, thanks for reporting that anyhow. A fellow Pokemon ROM-hacker at a different Pokemon-oriented forum inserted the new abilities for me, so I will notify him of that.

Well with my logic, it's not Hoenn grass, because Emerald canon supersedes Ruby/Sapphire canon. Yes, it's grass from Ruby/Sapphire, but Emerald had different grass. Also, this hack's art style is specifically meant to mimic R/S/E's, hence the R/S/E-styled overworlds. The FR/LG grass is a pain in the ass to map out anyway, and it doesn't really fit the style I was going for. Anyhow, thanks for the comments!

All of the music that's neither from FR/LG nor R/S/E nor HG/SS was composed by me, except for Giovanni's theme, which was composed by someone named giradialkia at PokeCommunity. I'm a huge fan of the Mother games, hence why I snuck in a musical Mother reference in Green's theme (Red's theme if you're playing as a girl).

19. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I was feeling pretty depressed today, so I wound up soaking three hours straight into this thing so I'd be frustrated at something else, (As much as I love Pokemon, I curse violently in my mind when an opponent critical hits my babies- er, Pokemon.) and went on an eevee catching spree in the Safari; now I have all the team members I wanted. Screw logic, I evolved a Vaporeon despite having a good water type in Blastoise. I'm already close to getting through Silph Co with the whole team at lv40 and above, so I can't wait to see what happens in the last gym. This hack almost pisses EXP at you because of Team Rocket having decent Pokemon for a change, I love it.

Yeah, definitely the first plot twist, and then the second one as well. I also liked Professor Oak's approach to the Saffron guards. This really changes how you explore Kanto a lot, I like that. Still haven't found that darned shortcut in Viridian, so I took a stroll down the biking route.

I can't wait to see how Mewtwo fits into all of this, this should be worthy of every popcorn gif in existence.

Yeah, it is a beta, so little things like that are expected, but I didn't see any grammar or spelling errors at all, something that can be pretty rampant in other hacks. (ALTTP : PARALLEL WORLDS I'm LOOKING RIGHT AT YOU.) The quality really shines in this thing.

Ah, I had no idea, then. I'm seeing full heals now that I've beaten Koga, and bought 20 of them first thing.

Yeah, I was playing an older beta since I hadn't bumped into any of the bugs so far, but I quickly upgraded because of that bug, and I haven't seen it again yet.

However, I did bump into a new one involving Magic Bounce, and conveniently while fighting Kamon again too.

[​IMG]

His Porygon2 traced Espeon's Magic Bounce, so when he tried Discharge, the move kept on bouncing around like a never ending game of Hot Potato, so I had to restart that battle. I laughed too hard to be angry at it, honestly. It's more of a logical conundrum than a bug, so how would you go about fixing something like that?

20. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Wait, what? Could you elaborate what you mean by that? The "shortcut to Viridian" that NPC's are referring to is Diglett's Cave. You're not supposed to be able to access Cycling Road until you defeat Daisy.

The intended order is supposed to be:
    1) beat Pokemon Tower
    2) head south to Route 12
    3) head west onto Route 11
    4) Catch/Defeat Snorlax that's blocking Diglett's Cave
    5) Go through Diglett's Cave
    6) Arrive at Route 2, head south from Route 2 to Viridian City
    7) Defeat Viridian Gym
    8) You just got Fly from Blue, so Fly back to Celadon or Lavender and choose which way to go to Fuchsia

I thought I made sure that you can't access Cycling Road until you have five Badges...