don't click here

Sonic 2 (2013 - iOS/Android) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by D.A. Garden, Dec 12, 2013.

1. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    No idea if this has already been mentioned, but on the Android version of the game, having just reached Wing Fortress Zone I've noticed the letter "W" on the title cards has a few pixels of red attached to it. Having checked the original game, these pixels should be transparent. Thought I'd better mention it!

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Interesting about this is that while this occurs in Time Attack, it DOESN'T occur in normal game modes. At least for me... (iOS version, latest version update)

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    My Nexus 7 has informed me that it has installed a new update for Sonic 2. No changelog was attached to it though.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I just bought both Sonic 1 and 2 for android for use on Bluestacks. Hope you still get the money for that.

Anyway, I wanted to point something out. It's really minor, but Knuckles's hanging sprite (like when Tails is carrying him) has some screwed up shading on his shoes. Some of the red starts to turn pink when he turns super, and they just looks kind of ugly overall (at least near where the gray part of the bottom of his shoes should be).

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    When I tryied buying through bluestacks it said I didn't have a compatible device :/

I've ordered an Xperia L anyway. I hope I can buy play Sonic 1/2/CD on TV with it :)

6. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I'm not sure if this is a common problem for some of you guys, but occasionally Sonic's jump sounds become garbled up just as I start the game upon booting up the phone. This happened to me on my first time playing the game, and this was before I installed an update but I still thought I should mention it.

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    [​IMG]

The waterfalls in Aquatic Ruin have glitched bottoms like the genesis game. The tiles inside the circles seem to be from the air bubbles. The waterfalls don't have this glitch on the Simon Wai proto, though!

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Will capture video later, but there's a pretty nasty bug playing either this or Sonic 1 with a Lightning -> HDMI Adapter, using an iPhone 5 on iOS 7.0.4. All the sounds play at a fraction of the speed for some reason. It's not out of sync - for instance, the jump sound plays the moment I jump, just very slowly and a bit distorted. Sonic CD plays fine.

9. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    No need, Diablohead posted a video earlier on:

I switched from OpenAL to Apple's AudioUnit (lower level library) from Sonic 1 onwards, so there might be some setting that needs to change when using HDMI out. It sounds like the sound buffer is only getting filled at half the rate it should be, creating that dirty sound. EDIT: or even duplicating the same buffer chunk twice, since the music is playing slow as if it was put through a bad tempo filter.

10. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Ah, missed Diablohead's post. Thanks for the explanation.

11. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    This wasn't as much of an issue in Sonic 1, but is it possible to have the d-pad be 8-way capable? It's really glaring in Sky Chase when you're trying to move up and either left or right, as when you start moving up, the character stops moving left/right. That is, unless I'm doing something wrong.

12. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Probably not without making the Virtual DPad less precise, which we wouldn't want to do. It's particularly important for things like Spindash, where you quickly press down and jump. Since the player isn't looking directly at the D-Pad, and there's no tactile feedback, the chance of pressing a diagonal instead of the intended up or down is high.

If you have access to a physical controller, 8 directions work fine though.

13. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    I finally got a 2P match that works on iOS, and was having an awesome 2P match until my phone popped up with the "20% battery remaining" alert box. After that I was booted out of 2P mode. It was unfortunate.

Also, I cannot figure out how to accept an invitation to play in Game Center. I'll tap on the Game Center notification that I receive when someone invites me to play, and it'll open up Sonic 2, but nothing will happen.

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I'd like to suggest changing the loop point of Green Hill: from 635970 to 635050!

You cut of the very beggining of the drum sample so it sounded a bit weird, give it a try!

You also seem to have forgotten to remaster the drums on the Sonic 2 credits, was that intentional?

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Would it be possible for the d-pad to work 8-ways in specific cases? I know what Effexor is on about with Sky Chase, and I just remembered that 3K has Doomsday...

16. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Sure, I thought he was speaking in general. The solution here would be to make the Tornado get its touch input data separate from the Player Object, so it can be 8 way without interfering with the player's control.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, while you guys are implementing that stuff, 8-direction debug please.

18. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I just noticed on the Android leader boards someone has a time of 0 for the boss attack.

19. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I beat the game with all the emeralds as Knuckles, and the ending was different from KiS2. Tails' cutscenes didn't show up, and Knuckles just glided in the sky the entire time the cutscenes should have been playing. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be, but I noticed it's different.

Also, on my Droid 2 Global, all of the Retro Engine games run sluggish, like 50 or so frames per second. I could tell with the credits themes ending 10-15 seconds too early. I don't think there's much you could about it, considering it's an old Android 2.3 device.

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Not a bug or anything but I have to say I'm disappointed we didn't get brick drawings in Aquatic Ruin u.u

[​IMG]