don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Roy Mustang can't see the light for having his head so far up Penders arse. That's both hilarious and fucking annoying all at once.

2. I do not think Penders can win this battle. Not only is his logic very shaky at best, but Sega has a lot more money than Archie. As does EA. Granted they shouldn't have to spend that on legal counsel.

3. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Wow this posts sums it up nicely. If Freedom Planet and Mighty No. 9 are anything to go on, he could have taken a very different route with this, instead of dealing with a nasty legal battle. I can't believe it's been three years since the whole fiasco started, holy crap.

So I don't get why he wants to keep himself in the courts over covers in a video game. He already has the characters he fought so hard to win back, he doesn't the need pocket change from this too.

4. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Weren't the covers put in the game back when he worked for Archie? I mean, Mega Collection is from 2 console generations ago

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    If I remember right, Mega Collection came out '02 or '03, and he was with the book until '06. But I think what he's trying to do is make it apply to his secondary objective (I.e. allow artists to receive royalties for re-prints or re-creations of their artwork) but considering I don't think Sega is making any money off of those collections anymore (and haven't been for at least 8 or 9 years) this is all just a pointless cash-grab.

6. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stM8TJK-Zi0[/media]

+ - Why isn't the media embed option working? Did I miss something?  

7. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    This whole debacle is just hilarious.

8. About the Mega Collection idiocy, I did a brief Wikipedia trip, and my initial research gave me this:

The Collection first released for the 'Cube on November 10, 2002. The Plus version for PS2/Xbox was on November 2, 2004. The PC release was March 31, 2006 for Europe, and March 9, 2007 for America. So, I'll be generous and say that the latest possible year for this is 2007. Ken's last issue as a writer was 159, which was the February 2006 issue. However, he apparently did letters/inks for the backup story in 169, the November 2006 issue. So, it's already strange that he wouldn't have already had at least an inkling about the covers loooong before now, especially while he was WORKING FOR Archie for THREE TO FOUR years after the compilation initially came out.

More than that, wikipedia also states that
    So, if the court determines that he should have known by the time his last main story went to print, that would put the last year he could lay claim in 2009. 2009. It's the tail-end of 2013 now. (Admittedly, Wikipedia does also say that "The criminal copyright statute has a five-year statute of limitations", so that applied--I'm no law student--would only extend to 2011. And that's me being generous.)

Either way, it's been over ten years since the initial release. There's little to no money to be gained.

And that's not touching the general stupidity of the whole thing.

9. Tylinos

Tylinos

Pretty much this. The most it could be stretched outside of criminal infringement (which this doesn't even apply for by its definition) would be saying the latest that reasonable discovery could be put is his public announcement of copyright in July 2010. That's still over three years ago. The reasonable discovery clause exists to protect people from well-hidden infringement. This was an advertised extra (on the box, even!) in a game by a company he spent over a year looking into copyright infringement from with Chronicles while his claims were being put through. The reasonable discovery period's over. He's got nothing except maybe digital sales of Mega Collection Plus for the short time Sega had that up in 2012 before taking it down.

10. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    [​IMG]

Well, this is insane. Not the "Penders' attornies sueing Sega over covers" thing, but that someone is actually on Penders side for the lawsuit.

11. Tylinos

Tylinos

A few people are. Not many, looks like, but still some. Doesn't bug me if someone wants to support him. It's just different tastes. Though those overlong hashtags gave me a laugh.

12. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    "And though I'd rather negotiate than engage in a lawsuit"

Well sure he'd want to try and negotiate, he's got like, no case. trying to squeeze some money from the people that he created his fan character off.

Covers that contain his characters? Doesn't that just fall under Fan-art, fan-art of fan characters, this isn't even SEGA's issue, surely Archie gave them permission to use the covers, and the art is drawn by other Archie artists, why doesn't Ken go back in time and complain about this 11 years ago?

13. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Without bothering to look at his previous posts, I almost wonder if the enabler guy is just a troll. Seems an easy way to do it in this situation.

14. Mbruno

Mbruno

Hmm...Penders's website is down, I wonder if that means anything?

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That his hosting package is at the same level of technology as his webpage creator? :v:

16. Tylinos

Tylinos

This, basically. It goes down pretty often.

17. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I'm going to go off on a bit of a rant.

I remember when this comic was good, and I also remember when Ken Penders wrote for it. And honestly, complete honesty here, his time as the script writer was the absolute worst in the entirety of the comic. He left so many of his half-baked plotholes and loose ends for Ian to clean up, and he did a fantastic job cementing over them for a good while, but thanks to this lawsuit, the comic is far beyond saving. Reboots are like the kiss of death to any form of fictional media.

I have never in my days seen a man with such unwarranted self-importance, he thinks everything he touches is gold. I could honestly get away with comparing him to CWC in every conceivable aspect. I really fucking could.
    Even his new unlicensed fan comic-- scratch that, ESPECIALLY that garbage screams nothing but parallels betwixt the two.

Before Genesis, I was expecting a really awesome climax to the events unfolding, and what do I get instead? Some shitbrained autist touting a lawsuit with a big, red "ORIGINAL CHARACTUR DO NOT STEEL" stamped on the cover page. That alone ruined the whole 20 years of this comic for me. I bought Issue #0 NEW, and this is what my two decades of continued patronage has to show for it.
    Absolutely fucking unacceptable.

I'm not fantarding, I made an investment in a decent enough continuing storyline for a huge portion of my life, and this fucking wanker has to ruin it all. I just can't wait for the prick to get into a plane crash. The worst part of all of this is that Penders won. His case was a fucking joke, his "graphic novel" will be a LEGALLY PUBLISHED fucking fan fiction, god damned near everything he has attempted is pure and utter shit. Look at the movie he's trying to make, the background in one of the scenes is a motherfucking Unreal Tournament map!

The man is entirely shit.
    And he WON.
    There truly is no god.

18. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Tad inconsistent, no? :v:/>/>

Although, still, I agree with you on what he's done wrong to the comic and professionally. To clarify further, not on the punishment, joke or not.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh it's terrible. I mean, any reasonable person should have saw that his characters were nothing more that recolors of Sega designs. The man had no case, and somehow he won. I loved what Ian did with Pender's shit, and now it all has been erased. Fuck, even things that were irrelevant to Penders got fucked up, like the Mecha Sally arc. Nope, fuck the grand finale of that. She's no longer a robot, just because. I'm sure Bunnie had an excellent plot at some point, but that was also thrown out, or at least horribly simplified. Antoine just got better. No reasoning. Shard no longer exists because Mecha Sonic 2.5 was a Penders creation. And Geoffrey doesn't exist either due to Penders meddling. So many good plots ruined. And now there's this reboot. Granted, some things needed to be changed as it had nothing to do with the games. But it was too much too soon.

Normally I would not wish this on anyone but I hope Pender's is killed in a horrible fashion. Not because of this comic being screwed up, but because he is just the worst kind of person. He thinks his stuff is original when he himself stole ideas from other mediums, and instead of trying to be creative and thinking of new things, he's a brat and sues people to get his fan characters back. Horrid.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    >Wishing death on a man because he's a brat.

Now you're getting a little silly.