don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    So I just finished playing through this, and of course, Hidden Palace Zone.

Honestly I was expecting it to be only accessible via level select. When I found out (didn't really look at this thread until after I finished playing) you had to go into the Mystic Cave pit, I couldn't stop laughing to myself. I dunno whose idea that was, but it was brilliant. :v:

I love all the gimmicks added to Hidden Palace; the rocket, the expanding and contracting platforms, water geysers, maces. Even some areas of the layout remind me of the old screenshots (mock ups I think?) from way back. I was a bit confused why the layout didn't start like the S2B Hidden Palace, but you didn't leave me disappointed (it came in later).

The design and architecture of the stage is really great, it helps keep Hidden Palaces layout unique from the other zones (those are some good looking loops!).

Makes me wish I could see a full map of the stage though. :(

With all the special features that Sonic CD, 1 and 2 have had, it makes me wonder how you can even top this if a Sonic 3K iOS port were to be done. There isn't much to "restore" there.

2. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I would imagine a Sonic 3&K port having some of the features of Tiddles' Sonic 3 Complete hack (which is very impressive by the way). Among these would be the ability to customize which versions of the invincibility, miniboss, Knuckles, etc themes play, selection of which Sonic sprites to use, putting Flying Battery back in its original level slot right before Ice Cap, and other goodies. Although I guess it depends on whether or not Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are released as separate games, and they probably would be, considering that Sega kept them split on the Wii Virtual Console.<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://rchan.sonicretro.org/_junk/audioPlayer2B.swf" id="audioplayer" height="1" width="1" style="position:fixed;top:-1px;left:-1px;width:1px;height:1px"><param name="movie" value="http://rchan.sonicretro.org/_junk/audioPlayer2B.swf"><param name="FlashVars" value="playerID=audioplayer&autostart=yes&initialvolume=100&soundFile=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35092772/hiddenpalacewtf.mp3"><param name="quality" value="high"><param name="menu" value="false"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></object>

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Oh I see you guys changed the logo to Simon Wai--OH JESUS MY EARS!!

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Oh god, did I start another war, what's going on?!

5. Barry the Nomad

Barry the Nomad

Site Staff
    Chicago
    SEGAbits
    My ideal scenario of Taxman/Stealth's future with SEGA: Next up, Sonic 3 and Knuckles in one iOS/Android app followed by Sonic 1-3&K released as one collection on XBLA and PSN (and.... I guess, Wii U). Then, have them lead a Sonic the Hedgehog 5 that takes place after 4 and features graphics similar to Sonic 4 Episode 2. That way the classic series gets finished, they don't waste their time remaking Sonic 4, and the 2D Sonic series continues with a fresh start on a new sequel.

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Hidden Palace is masterfully done, I felt like a kid again playing it, which is a lot more than I can say for Sonic 4, even at it's best. I'm just curious about how much of it is culled from the original design documents and how much of it was newly made.

7. Skaarg

Skaarg

[​IMG]

I noticed when restarting special zones as I was about to fuck up things would start to mess up a bit. Most obvious one being the background which gets messed up when going into corners. Also the camera really starts to get wonky going into some corners. I'm not noticing these problems when I first enter a special zone. It's only if I restart because I suck with touch controls. =P

8. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Finally got around to trying this, and my God, the special stages are beautiful. But of course, that's not the only thing that's beautiful, the whole presentation and everything is masterfully done. I've barely played it so far (studying for finals) but I am sure going to play the shit out of this.

If a Tax-Stealth S3&K remake is planned, I certainly hope that they acknowledge Sonic 3 Complete's existence. And after that, I would love to see an original Sonic game by them, I mean, with these Tax-Stealth releases of Sonic CD, Sonic 1, and Sonic 2, it really feels like the classics aren't dead and are still thriving stronger than ever.

Heck, I don't see why SEGA can't continue the classics as a separate series (isn't that what Megaman is doing?) What I mean is, they should separate it in to two series, the "Modern Series" and the "Classic Series". Sonic Team can continue making their weird "Modern Series" games, while StealthTax should handle the "Classic Series" games (please keep Dimps away from any of this), not being limited to Sonics 1-3K, but also their own "remake" of Sonic 4, a Sonic 5, etc...

My main point is, thanks to Taxman and Stealth, it really feels like the classic games are still fresh, new games.

9. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Simon wai discovers Sonic 2 beta, simon wai creates sonic 2 beta page,sonic 2 beta page creates sonic retro, sonic retro destroys simon wai.... Sonic retro restores Hidden Palace....TaxStealth inherit earth.

10. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Oh God, that sound effect caught me by surprise, I almost fell out of my chair from laughter! That was too good.

As for talk of what might come next, I'm still not getting my hopes up for another Sonic 4. I imagine we will sooner see an original Sonic classic being produced with Taxman and Stealth's tech than another take at that. But first thing's first, getting the rest of the original trilogy running like a dream, if SEGA's up for letting them do that. I'd like to think Sonic 3's special stages would be something else in true 3D.

Pixel art can look great at any resolution if it has enough contrast and careful color choices, although I think going from a 64-color palette to a 256-color one alone would look really vivid and colorful at higher resolutions, like what Freedom Planet is doing.

11. Jason

Jason

Everyone seems to have forgotten that they Taxman, along with Slingerland and Hunter Bridges did at one point intend to make a pixel-graphic Sonic 4 of sorts with the Retro Engine.

Anydangway, you guys might want to stop thinking two steps ahead. Buy Sonic 2, get Sonic 3 & Knuckles when it is hopefully announced and released, and then worry about what's next for the Retro Engine.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  13. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    I would say with 90% confidence this is a Bluestacks problem.

14. Jason

Jason

Keywords "did at one point intend". You can play demos of the pre-merged games Taxman's Retro Sonic and see a video of Sonic XG from SAGE 2012 here to quench your thirst for a "proper" Sonic 4. My point of trying to extrapolate to a hypothetical fifth Retro Engine game of fully-original content not being very productive still stands. It all depends on sales of the original trilogy and willingness for Sega to relinquish direction of Sonic to a non-Japanese developer for the first time in almost a decade.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah, right. Well yea I guess but that's only like, what, 3 levels total?

16. Anyone spot any Knuckles/Tails routes?

17. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Wow, 2P mode is cool...except I keep getting matched with pussies who disconnect when they are doing bad or lose in act 1. Jesus Christ.

18. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    Really enjoying the port but man - I don't remember being this bad at special stages, thank goodness I can just exit and redo special stages till I get it right, I don't think it helps that I've taken Tails along for the ride too, but it doesn't feel right to do a proper play without him in tow.

19. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Okay, I think I'll repost this here since this thread gets more traffic than the bugfix/suggestions thread: Has anyone else had problems getting a gamepad to work with the iOS version? I have an iControlPad, it works beautifully with Sonic 1, but does not work at all with Sonic 2. And I don't have the funds to rebuy the game on Bluestacks so that is out of the question. So is gamepad support broke? Or do I need to invest in an iOS7-compliant gamepad now? Or am I just doing it wrong (and if so, what am I doing wrong)?

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It happened on my phone as well so no.