don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    [youtube]http://youtu.be/9cG3ZWCvr38[/youtube]

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I wonder how many of you would lose your shit if it was revealed that these two would take all of Sonic 4, Genesis-ify it, clean up where necessary, and tack on a concluding set of all original levels (spoiler: since Little Planet is involved, new areas like Desert Dazzle can be possible) to wrap up the game.

This is hypothetically speaking of course. Don't everyone go thinking I'm hinting stuff.

Although this was mostly because the assets were already there, the second spoiler is that Little Planet is technically under a bad future, because SSZ was in bad future when Eggman revived Metal Sonic.

Sonic failed in Sonic CD.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That'd be lovely, but Sonic 4 Ep 1's levels would need a significant overhaul so they wouldn't be pure ripoffs of Sonic 1 and 2 (Ep 2 wasn't as bad). Also both sets of bosses would need reworking. Ep 1's are rip offs and Ep 2's are far longer and involve much more elaborate machines then Eggman would have ever used in Sonic 1 - 3K.

4. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Hm..now that I'm thinking...doesn't that end boss organ look awfully similar to one used as a background in Markey Jester's Bro-Tro hackrom? My memory might be playing with me, though.

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Hidden Palace Zone looks pretty slick indeed. Nice work! It's almost as if the intention was to say "look Sega, you can trust us with new content"...

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's what I was thinking too but I looked at a video of that hack and couldn't come to that conclusion. It did look familiar though.

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Has the HPZ layout been made from scratch or is the original layout hidden somewhere in the new routes?

8. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Some stuff hidden among the routes, like the odd curving slope hanging off the floating rock, but not all the original stuff in one section.

9. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    This is something I've wanted to see ever since Sonic CD remastered was announced. I was actually quite surprised that Sega didn't use the retro engine for episode 2.
    If Taxman and Stealth do this, the level design will need extensive reworking, because the existing Dimps levels are awful.

10. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I would say not even bother with ep. 1 at all. Too much rehash. Ep. 2 does to an extent, but they're all distinct enough on their own to pull off getting the Stealth-Tax treatment.

Ideally, though, all original Stealth-Tax levels would be my wish, though I won't get my hopes too high for that happening any time soon.

11. nesboy43

nesboy43

If they removed the boost pads, homing attack, and the engine functioned like the Genesis games, I would be thrilled.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    And get rid of the Bubbles chains...

13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I don't think there's any redeeming Sonic 4. And I'd rather not see a Sonic 5, honestly, because 4 would be a major pot hole in a fantastic line of gaming. I'd much rather see these guys get to work on a completely original classic-styled game, or even just a game in general, doesn't have to be related to Sonic. They've more than earned it in my eyes.

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Works in line with how the other levels evolved I suppose, starting off with more clunky basic layouts in the beta, then having more fluid, complex ones with extra gimmicks in the final.

15. Special Stage scoring is bugged: Each ring is only worth 1 point, not 100, leading to scores that should not be a thing like this.

[​IMG]

16. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    This is now my new favorite game on Android. Good god man, dat 3D special stage. It's glorious!

And now the long wait for Sonic 3K Remastered. My body is ready, Sega.

17. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    My thoughts exactly!
    Even the palette looks very similar.

Looking at that new boss, I think the concept is much more complex than the other bosses in Sonic 2 so it kinda feels off but it's a very good one anyway.

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I noticed that when I started my actual save file (all emeralds by EHZ, wee), the other two achievements I got while dicking around yesterday (fast emerald hill and get a Perfect Bonus) locked back up again. Also that the EHZ background clips towards the end.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Could be using the same concept: the Alexandra Palace organ.
    [​IMG]

20. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Now that Sonic 2 is out and no PC or console port has even been announced for 1 yet, I'm starting to think they're gonna be sold as a package on other devices. But if they never do, that's their loss. I'll just stick with the Android versions I bought anyway and play 'em on Bluestacks. I really do wanna double dip on this though.

That said, good work on this version, Taxman and Stealth. I only played Emerald Hill as Knuckles so far, but I gotta say it just feels RIGHT, and the special stages are a real treat.