don't click here

Will this processor work?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Blue Emerald, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    I'm planning to load Blender to my Win7 computer since my copy of Autodesk 3DSMax is incompatible with Win7. It looks like I meet all the minimum system requirements, except for one I'm not sure about.

I need at least a "32-bit dual core 2Ghz CPU with SSE2 support" to run Blender. I have an AMD E300 APU, and looking it up tells me that it has 64-bit AMD technology in it, but with only 1.3 Ghz.

So is the 64-bit tech enough to qualify it, or is the 1.3 Ghz a problem? Here are my other specs, in case that somehow makes up for it:

Required (minimum):
    32-bit dual core 2Ghz CPU with SSE2 support
    2 GB RAM
    24 bits 1280×768 display
    OpenGL-compatible graphics card with 256 MB RAM

I Have:
    AMD E300 APU
    4 GB RAM
    1366x768 display (How do I find the "bits" for this?)
    AMD Radeon HD 6310 with 256 MB RAM

2. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    The CPU will qualify on all aspects but speed, and that will mean your models(when they are complex) will chug as you move them. It'll run, just not very smoothly

3. winterhell

winterhell

How old is your 3ds max? For example version 9 works fine on Win 7.

4. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Damn that program is over 3 grand and 2 grand for an upgrade. That is a lot money. Whew. I can understand why he doesn't want a computer that is too new.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You can tell Autodesk a little white lie and say you're a student. Grab 3dsmax for free.

6. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I don't like lying. It feels way too wrong.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Me neither. But let some people tell it and you'll think that that's what Autodesk wants you to do. Hook you in with student copies of their software then, when you're good and practiced with it and ready to move into professional work, you'll have no choice but to purchase a proper license.

Again, I don't like lying. But some things just don't have free alternatives in the end.

8. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    That's actually how I got my copy; got it through one of my college classes. But in order to make anything for profit that involves anything I make through the program, I'd need to buy a license, which IIR is stupidly expensive. =/ Also, my copy is the 2010 edition, which from what I've read on the Autodesk site won't run on Win7, which is why I'm opting for Blender. The speed thing sounds like it'll be an issue, but then again I ran into similar problems when I was running Max on my XP computer, which led to a lot of annoying graphical hiccups. =P

Is there by chance any way I can externally improve my processor speed without overclocking it or taking my computer apart?

9. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member

10. winterhell

winterhell

Most people are running 2010 on Win 7 fine. Its not "officially" supported because it came out while Win7 was still in beta.

And no, you cant accelerate the CPU without either OC or replacing it altogether(if thats even possible).

Post what error is 3ds max 2010 giving you when you try to run/install it.