don't click here

I Hate PCs

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Captain L, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Once again, I must say, I hate PCs. Now the problem is the internet has points where it barely works. I mean, it doesn't cut out or anything, but it's slow. As in, Speedtest is giving me 91ms Ping, .28mb/s download speed. YouTube videos are a pain to watch, and Blip/Springboard is even worse. I haven't even played any online games on Steam for a while because of it. I was hoping the problem would go away on its own as they usually do, but this one goes away for a few days, comes back, and so on. So, what's the problem here? It's not the wireless in my house, because my iPod runs fine. And the icon on the toolbar is telling me my internet speeds are 52mb/s. And standard internet browsing is usually fine, except for Know Your Meme image galleries.

And just for any future reference, my system is as follows:
    Windows XP Professional SP3
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4GHz
    2GB RAM (I was sure I had more)

And I'm not going to replace this computer. Not only do I not want to buy a PC, but aside from the problems this one faces, the only thing it can't do that I have is play Assassin's Creed II. Other than that, it's better than my 6 year old Macbook Pro, which runs fine mostly.

2. Captain L

Captain L

And new problems keep popping up! I've since gone to college, and I've get a new laptop with it. It's actually really good, runs any of my games on Steam without problems on high settings. It's been having a variety of issues, but they're mostly minor and fixed by now. Except for one that I just noticed today. Like I said, games on Steam run just fine, I've still tested that. My emulators are just fine now (had some issues with some of them running slow, but switching it to OpenGL fixed those). But fangames I downloaded from the internet run really slow. And even then, not all of them. Sonic Before the Sequel works fine, but Mega Pony and Continue? Philly Under Fire don't.

For all future reference (again) if I ever need other help, my current computer specs are
    Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
    8GB RAM
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

EDIT: Okay, I fixed the problem with Continue? Philly Under Fire by downloading an updated version.

3. It fucking grinds my shit every time I see people who have absolutely ZERO knowledge of computers giving advice on computers....

Not really

No

NO

ARGHHHHH *explodes*

So much faggotry in this thread. certainly comparing a fucked up 2nd hand machine to a first hand macbook is a very fair contest.

Also, your laptop probably has a "run with dedicated GPU" or something option where the GPU is only used if it's really necessary. Check that. Most of the things running slow are probably running on the integrated graphics unit.

4. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Excuse me? Quite rude.

5. Rude, but more importantly: the truth. The truth is never polite.

6. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    And everyone's experiences with computers are different.

EDIT: I saw your post on SEGA-16. You come as hostile and just mean. So I'm done with this. No more. I'm quite pissed you feel the need to say that to my face. To be honest. We were all newbies at one point, but to say I know nothing about computing is rude to me. If I don't know something or it's inaccurite you are welcomed to politely point it out. Otherwise you got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Learn some manners. Their people out there that can't even turn the machines on without having problems.

7. winterhell

winterhell

There are 2 main reasons why people are having hardware problems.

A) They are being cheap(getting the CPU, RAM and GPU first and then having the "oh well whatever fits the budget" mainboard and PSU). There is a reason there can be 2 different 520W PSUs with 5 times the price tag difference. Same with motherboards "fitting" the same CPU.

B) Being greedy. Overclocking your CPU to higher frequency than most reviewers can achieve and then leaving it with little cooling, because silence is golden. No wonder why 12 months later one of the cores bites the dust. Or installing promising drivers or updates for hardware that works just fine without them.

The past 16 years I've had 5 different PCs, very heavy usage, and the only hardware problems I've had were 1 busted core and 1 GPU, both due to the greediness( though they gave me a full refund on the GPU because the drivers were defective anyway). If I had only bought Apple products I'd have only 2 macs with the same money, and I wouldnt be able to do anything with them. No diverse games, no diverse programs, just the few "elitist" content creation exclusives. Its a full blown joke when I cant open 2 text files so I can compare their contents.

8. After reading all of your posts that are relevant to this issue, I can wholeheartedly say: Fuck you. (You will probably stop reading here.)

I have done two things in my post above:

1) Tell people to GTFO if they don't know anything
    2) Tried to help Captain L with the actual issue he's still having.

For some reason I guess you thought I was being mean to you, directly. No, I was being honest and telling all the people I quoted that they don't know a thing about what they're talking about. If the machine hangs at the POST screen, a defrag CAN and WILL NOT HELP. No matter what you say, Chibisteven, you are WRONG. So, so WRONG.

Neither FORMATTING or REINSTALLING WINDOWS will help either.

And that is what pisses me off here. Nobody in this thread except for a few people actually have a clue on what they're talking about.

If you think that's mean, well what's mean? 10 people who don't know shit wasting the topic creator's time? Or someone with real knowledge telling everyone else to shut the fuck up and help him instead?

You need to grow some balls.

EDIT: About the sega-16 thing, you were being very assumptous and trying to catch me off guard on a subject that I actually spent the last several years of my life doing. Are you sure you're not the rude one? ;)

9. Nova

Nova

Considering the lack of information presented by OP, I'd say you also are being assumptive at best, Oerg. Maybe good assumptions, but assumptions nonetheless.

I also wanted to point out that your way with people, as Chibisteven has mentioned, is fucking terrible. Certainly, there's merit in what you're saying and maybe you do know better than some other people - that doesn't give you the right to be an absolute cunt about it, particularly when they were just trying to help the best way they could in the first place.

The truth doesn't have to be rude, especially not so explosively so. You're acting like a 17-year old with a superiority complex, dude.

10. Maybe you're right. But my point still stands. Don't try to help people if you know absolutely fuck all.

The OP clearly says it's not a windows problem.

11. Captain L

Captain L

I don't think the discussion should be about the BIOS issue I had on my old computer that fixed itself over a year ago. I'd also like to keep it off who may or may not be an asshole. The thread should just be helping me with my multitude of problems.

Also, minor problem I have the feeling is causing a lot of accidental clicks in Firefox. I don't like how tapping the trackpad counts as a click, so I turned it off in the Windows setting. It still does it, and I have no idea how to turn it off.

12. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Some touchpads have a manufacturer driver available (like Synaptics stuff) and you can override all settings from there, including but not limited to - tapping, sensitivity, scroll zones, extra button zones

13. Well what about the graphics issues, did you fix them too?

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The latter of these is perfectly fine, and I encourage you to do so. The former... not so much. A civil thread is much better than a shouting match.

You need to stop backseat modding. Don't be an arse to people for no real reason.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

15. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    It feels to me like a lot of your problems are coincidental, and you might be jumping to conclusions blaming the machine all the time. Don't forget that the MacBook you have has the same class of hardware as that other laptop. I run OS X on my desktop I built quite happily. (http://I.imgur.com/7zcOmOH.jpg the iMac delegation is simply a closest approximation to my hardware profile)

If you have stuff like toolbars to show your internet speed it sounds like you might have just installed some crapware. Running a speed test every time you connect or open your browser sounds kind of inane to me, so I'd recommend uninstalling any toolbars or any unnecessary browser extensions you can.

The speed issues might be easily solved by decreasing the wifi autonegotiation speed on the PC. The iPods are engineered to stay on wireless-G and at 11 mbit/sec or as low as possible all the time. In the settings for the wireless adapter I would recommend lowering your wifi adapter from N to G and see if your performance online improves. Wireless interference can be an incredibly tough problem to correct.