don't click here

New info on MJ involvement?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by serpx, Oct 4, 2013.

1. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Well to be specific, Sonic CD (and several other Sega soundtracks) use samples from the infamous Datafile CD sample libraries. So what's more likely is the company who produced the libraries created "sound-alikes" for popular riffs and breaks. At least that's what they would tell you, since it's meant to be 100% cleared.

2. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Basicially stuff that is royality-free stuff. :)

3. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Chances are that the Pet Shop Boys tunes sound similar because they were composed on the same hardware. Do we know what synths they used for the Sonic CD soundtrack? I believe Very was made mainly with Akai S1000 and Korg M1.

The drums in particular sound IDENTICAL to the ones in Sonic CD.

I can't draw any parallels between the tunes themselves but Pet Shop Boys' early 90s work all use the EXACT SAME instrumentation as the JP Sonic CD soundtrack.

I believe the first clue that made me notice this was when Pachuka called the JP soundtrack "shitty europop".

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Are you talking about the zero g datafile libraries? In which case, according to that page, many of the samples were indeed from copyrighted works.

5. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Yeah, hence the "infamous" tag. It's a real grey area as far as whether or not Zero-G legitimately got clearance on everything, but so much stuff in the 90's / early 2000's has used stuff from them that I don't think anyone cares. I've recognised samples in everything from Sonic CD, Jumping Flash, Jet Set Radio, Wipeout to even the Japanese band Capsule's earlier works.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, good old Viewpoint from Sammy has a bunch of them.

Remember that funky tune at the "Press Start" screen, once you insert your first credit? Well, that's just one of those samples looped endlessly.

EDIT: And of course the "One, two, three, four, hey!".

7. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I believe, in the American soundtrack, Spencer Nielsen used a Roland D550, Korg M1, Emu's stuff, likely Proteus 1, and Kurzweill were used, along with live percussionists.

The Japanese OST sounds a lot like my M1's libraries, especially the famous choir, house piano and drum sounds, so I'd peg the M1 on the Japanese OST, too, with grey area sample use. [​IMG]

If anyone wants a sample of the piano/organ/pad sounds, I'd be happy to provide. Or, you can check out Synthmania's stuff

http://www.synthmania.com/m1.htm

Especially this sound, the Piano16":

http://www.synthmani...0Piano16%27.mp3

This one too, Piano8":

http://www.synthmani...20Piano8%27.mp3

And I believe the Proteus 1/2/3 was used heavily by Koji Kondo. Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, also Super Mario 64, are great examples of this, though a lot of his early SNES work seems to have been M1 as well. A lot of SNES stuff used the M1/Wavestation, come to think about it, like Chrono Trigger.

Trevor Horn, one of the producers of the early Pet Shop Boys, Seal, Yes, Art of Noise, and Frankie Goes To Hollywood, also used the Emulator II, which the Proteus sounds were based off of, and, later, M1, alongside the Fairlight, and the Roland Roman God synths (Juno!) You hear the Proteus a lot on It's A Sin and Two Tribes, such as the orchestral interlude at the beginning here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7oGn3V-GqJc

And It's A Sin here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J-4gAetwNkw

For extra knowledge, you'll also hear the Linn LM-1 in both of those songs. Michael Jackson and Prince both used the same drum machine, or its close cousin, the LM-2.

Returning to your regularly scheduled post. [​IMG]

8. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I thought that under US law you can legally sample up to 30 seconds of another work. Dunno about other countries.

9. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Actually 3 seconds. You should always check with who ever owns it to avoid trouble.

Be careful with brand jingles you could get yourself in trouble for using them. Say you use a radio station's call sign jingle, you could get sued as it is their trademark regardless of length.

10. I'd say this mash-up takes the cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyVhTwDKWG4

11. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    That mix actually kind of hurts to listen to. Too many things are going on in the music.

Anyway, I found the latest lyrics posted almost 100% perfect, just one little that needs to be changed:

That's what it sounds like to me.

12. Retroman

Retroman

Now according to the whosampled it website, Ice Cap Zone was made by Brad Buxer, Bobby Brooks, Geoff Grace and Doug Grigsby III feat. Darryl Ross, Jun Senoue and Michael Jackson (Scirocco)

Reference:
    http://www.whosampled.com/search/?q=ice+cap+zone

Carnival Night Zone has a 5 second sample of Entrance of the Gladiators Julius Fucik obviously

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Whosampled is like Wikipedia, the information comes from the users..

14. Retroman

Retroman

Oh...

So basically MJ got frustrated after making some tunes, and gave up, told SEGA Institution 'I don't want to be credited, the sound-chip isn't powerful' and also during the time of the controversial scandal of MJ.

And he had those unfinished tracks and ideas that the composers then re-used. So is Scirocco really MJ? And if it is, then what does Scirocco mean?

15. It means "desert wind".

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Scirocco is the alias for the musician Cirocco Jones, Michael Jackson was left uncredited ...

17. nesboy43

nesboy43

Stranger in Moscow was written in 93 during the end of the Dangerous Tour. There used to be a clip on youtube of MJ talking about it but I can't seem to find it anymore.

18. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Was it this one?

He talks about the song in the first 45 seconds of it. The rest is usual behind the scenes stuff with some guy talking over most of it in some language that sounds like German but probably isn't.

19. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Sooo...if Hard Times had actually been released when The Jetzons were still together...would Brad Buxer have made an entirely different composition for Ice Cap zone?

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Probably.