don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Nice idea... I was wondering how to do the arm over the object deal... that could work... only thing is I'm trying to make this something feasible for flamewing to port over... so I hope one extra arm object isn't a stretch.

I've gotten hold of the Chaotix disassembly in an attempt to observe how the arm object works, though I've no idea where to even begin to find it. I've got the .idb file opened up and have the open source code right in front of me... Thx andlabs, BTW. But IDK where to really look. While this moreso belongs in Q&A... I might as well pose the question since I'm already on about it... anyone have any idea about how to find the object in the disassembly?

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Out of all things on this forum, that video might be one of the most nostalgia-inducing. Man does that look good! 8D

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It never fails to amaze me what you manage to make that hardware do, Markey.

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I love seeing stuff like this because it reminds me of the Amiga demo scene (stuff like this blew my mind in the 90's).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5kuYfTCGLg

Also if you like visuals, Milkdrop with Winamp or Foobar 2000 is the best I've ever seen.

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    As much as I enjoyed that from nostalgia, I'm generally not a fan of demos. I find them to be too linear and direct, I mean, you get the same result every single time you run them, they're never different. What I'm really looking to do, is have visual effects that change based on the music playback. This'll help to give it a little more varienty to improve replay value, if that makes sense. Making it more a visualisation, than a demo.

I'll see about posting another video once I have more varied effects and have them responding to the music nicely.

Edit (to save a post):

It now has more effects, and this time it actually responds to the music playing (unlike the previous version). Unfortunately, YouTube has screwed up the visual effect at around 0:33 during the conversion, probably because the frame change is too sudden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P76b9Wgocs

6. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I wonder if anyone would have a use of a Sprite Editor that could load tiles directly from ReGen VRAM dumps... I certainly would so here's what I did today:
    [​IMG]
    Silly me... it's labeling the file as an Enigma-compressed file. That's not right, I''ll fix it... [​IMG]

7. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I see two sides to this.

A (Pro): The idea is fantastic. It could help in many ways.
    1. Easier way to rip art from other Genesis titles
    2. If needed can be used as a last resort to recover art from a hack you lost the disassemby for

B (Con): Could be used by some not so honest people to easily steal assets from others. Yes, I know that was already possible. I mean this makes it tons easier to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and would use it myself.

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I definitely see the CON side to the argument... and gave it a little bit of thought before implementing this... but that argument can really be made with just about anything on this site. That said, I think the meaning behind the term "your ass is banned for life, bitch!" is enough to scare many people off... those who aren't bothered by bans are usually driven away by the painful cold shoulder delivered to them by the entirety of the internet. I trust that this power will be used by the hands of good.

Glad you like the addition though!

EDIT: I will openly admit that I am using my powers to obtain sprites for my Mighty project... but then seeing as how I'm only using the ones that were already directly taken from Chaotix, and no custom ones... I trust that this won't be frowned upon. If that's not the case, I trust that someone will show me the error of my ways. :D

9. FireRat

FireRat

Nah. Fuck it. Banned
    Chile
    Mobius Evolution 2
    Hello everybody. I'm a trial member and it's my first post here, so I don't wanna start with the left foot.

So, I have been doing a pretty simple hack, that I plan to release around December's 14th, called Tails Into Dreams. I can't do art for shit, so some months ago I copied a random source code to practice some pixel art there, and I think it's decent enough to make it a full hack...

[​IMG]

10. Welcome back, Trox! I missed you! And I wish you well on your project. I'm back working on my special stage project, with much improved help.

11. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Hmmm, that's cool. I haven't had the chance to play the Sonic 1 "Prototype" GHZ cause no one has bothered to make a ROM with it, so I'm Looking forward to it.

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Got a bit of a conundrum here... Trying to get the 7th emerald in Sonic 1 for part of the REV C hack (as well as for another project with Prof. Neo... actually)

The first screenshot is a cyan emerald... that we'd like to have in the game as a 7th emerald. It's on the far right. It's not the exact perfect colors but its along those lines:
    [​IMG]

Now, here is what I have at the moment:
    [​IMG]

BOTH of these are possible for the Results screen. However, it is not possible to have the first one in the actual Special Stage due to palette limitations. The second one is possible and the art has been made.

Do you think that this is a good idea for the 7th emerald color? Does it look good? We really wanna have this done WITHOUT conflicting with any other colors in the Special Stage. Wanna get thoughts on how it looks.

13. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I know for the results screen there's plenty of open palette space, but with a little bit of playing around you can actually get 4 colours free on the Special Stage palette in Sonic 1 too. Off the top of my head, it's the greys on the second line (I'm at work right now and can't check specifically), meaning you could easily set something up to have a dynamic palette in the Special Stage itself and use the same VRAM art for every emerald.

I'll double-check on the specifics when I get home from work and edit this post with more info.

EDIT: Had a bit more time than I thought on my lunch break, so here:
    [​IMG]
    The three greys and the black on the end outlined in red aren't used anywhere on the Special Stages, meaning we can use them however we want.

[​IMG]
    For example, the above, which I use for the Cyan emerald in S1EE. :P

14. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Yep! Did notice that, and those are used for Knuckles' Red colors. I make a standard sprite of Knuckles and the life icon, and they turn out blue using the top line. I then use those spaces as an overlay to give Knuckles his whole palette

15. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I felt it had been a while since I'd shown off anything so have a few screens from my hack. It's still alive and it's coming along steadily:

[​IMG]
    Knuckles running through his own waterslide path in Hydrocity Zone 2.
    [​IMG]
    Sonic taking a tricky platforming section over some fallen icicles in Icecap Zone 1.
    [​IMG]
    Sonic coming out of the rising sand section of Sandopolis Zone 2.
    [​IMG]
    Tails flying around the pillars and remains of Sky Sanctuary Zone.

16. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Are you planning to keep the palettes the same as the original? Personally I think you should stick to the originals. Palette edits can make a hack feel fresh, but in all honesty I've never really seen them done very well apart from a handful of levels (which funnily enough are one's you did in Sonic 1, Coral Ruin and Tech Engine act 3). If it's your plan to edit them then I have high hopes for some extremely good choices even if they are subtle.

17. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    New palettes were originally on the agenda but I have a habit of making them look de-saturated.
    At the moment, I have all of the original palettes in place (except Mushroom Hill and Marble Garden Zone) but I may get around to attempting new ones again at some point.

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    [url="http://mrjester.hapisan.com/01_Public/PapuruIllusion.PNG]Papuru[/url], a logo using 8 colours! (If you don't count black of course)

19. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Awesome logo !

20. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Sick of SonMapEd? Me too! I've got something coming soon...

[​IMG]
    Sprite Editor - Art, Mappings, DPLC and Animation Editing in the works... Currently 85% finished with Mappings Editor portion.
    Palette and art editing affect your sprite in real time, and I'm also working on implementing real time cycling palettes...
    [​IMG]
    Palette Editor - Some have already seen this. Now offers support for FAR more than 3 palettes. Scrolling menu being worked on for loaded palettes... Not all functions are viewable in this shot... namely Many of the extended color editing features... but they are there and working... Preview mode works, as well as VDP Shadow/Highlight... and converting to SMS/GG palette files.
    It's still a bit early, and has a ways to go... but it's getting close to a release. I'd say early 2014 look for an early alpha release. Suggestions on the UI? I WILL be sticking with the Sonic 2 theme I have for this.. I know some like it and others don't. I DO plan on adding other themes as options... such as a Sonic Retro theme UI... BUT that's for later on... I'll focus on function first... How about layout? Do you loke how everything is placed?