don't click here

Atlus' parent company going into bankruptcy

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Candescence, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Which, by the way, is hilarious. Sega just can't ever stop leaks.

2. For those of you who don't know, Index Corporation, the parent company of the developer Atlus of Persona/Shin Megami Tenshi fame, has been going through serious financial trouble as of late, the least of which is being accused of fraud and being 2.4 billion yen in debt. And recently, probably because of this, 20 or so companies in a race to buy Index Corp and their assets. Among the 20 of those companies, the only one that's been revealed/translated has been SEGA-Sammy, NOT the gaming company but rather its parent company. The current highest bid is around $200 million (note, SEGA-Sammy is not said to be this highest bidder) and that by next week, the bidding shall be streamed down and Atlus and all of their assets shall be given to the highest bidder. If you want more info, here are a number of articles to check out regrading the topic.

So, the question I wanna ask you guys is this; if SEGA-Sammy did acquire Atlus, would it be a good thing or a bad thing? I've heard a lot of people go against it the idea for several reasons (tardiness to localisation, a general ignorance of any IPs that aren't Sonic the Hedgehog etc.) but personally, I think it could go pretty well, all things considered. Remember, it's the parent company, NOT SEGA, buying Atlus so the development team will more than likely just operate as another developer under SEGA-Sammy, as with SEGA themselves. If there is some kind of interaction between the two, it could go quite fine as far as I can see.

Atlus's presence in Europe is barely discernible so having publisher support from SEGA could help get their games noticed better in the overall PAL market. (Yes, SEGA's advertising in Europe isn't too great to begin with but it's better than what Atlus is up to over here at the moment!) As for localisation, it's not like SEGA's going to stop Atlus games from being released in the West, which many people have suggested, because here's the thing: Atlus IS a localisation company too! They do all this stuff anyways and I don't see why SEGA would want to prevent them from simply doing their job! There might be a better company to buy Atlus (again, we don't know any of the other companies that bid on them) but nonetheless, I think SEGA-Sammy's at least a decent place for them to go.

What do you guys think of all this? Could Atlus do better or can SEGA-Sammy actually positively affect Atlus and vice-versa? Well, I'll leave the rest of this debate to you guys; have fun!

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31640

4. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Bump but Sega confirms that it has taken over Atlus' parent company.

Source.

Well... this is kinda.. I'm not sure what to think here :v:

EDIT: And I just realize I don't check General Sega enough. Disregard this post

5. Due to what happened it might be best to merge this into the General Sega thread.

Interesting that Sega did this. Perhaps they're pretty secure about their financial state after all?

So, how do you think Shin Megami Tensei x Shining Force would go after SMT x FE?

6. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Considering the current state of the Shining series, very poorly.

7. I would wish Sega/Atlus would use such a game to try to rebuild Shining's relationship with it's foreign fans, rather than burning the bridges further. :P

But eh... the stark contrast between how Sega handles localization and how Atlus does... the biggest fear here is the potential changing or dissolving of Atlus USA. Let's hope Sega understands Atlus' fanbase and doesn't decide to treat them like foreign Shining and Phantasy Star fans.

8. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Giving credit to JaxTH for calling it right off the damn bat.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    <3

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Moved to General Sega Discussion - for the sake of having one thread on this, let's keep the discussion to the new thread, I'll lock this one as such. Head over here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=32070

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.