don't click here

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 15, 2009.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Puyo Tools can extract and create PVM archives, and read and write PVR textures.
    Some models additionally use material colors, which right now can only be edited by SADXMDL's material editor.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, I've been seeing people doing this a lot on Steam.

Does replacing the executable mess up the shader effects / cause them to stop working? I'm too far away to check and my initial suspicion is "yeah, the old one wasn't even designed to look for them".

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Of course it does. It also causes music to stop seamlessly looping (WMA instead of ADX).

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    If only someone knew shit about getting the second release to run in custom resolutions because it's otherwise so much better than the first release.

EDIT: Only thing I ever saw with that was a custom directx intercepting DLL that caused a ton of graphical glitches in the process

5. Nomz

Nomz

I actually haven't had any problems with my game so far. Perhaps it is GPU oriented?

6. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Random question: Where can I find some of the better texture mods that have been released to date? The only stuff I can find so far is random junk made by 10-year-old kids. (Interestingly, I've found some rather nice-looking model hacks that import body parts from Unleashed/Generations/SA2/etc.)

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    SA Tools update, fixing some horrible bugs in model and level file saving. This bumps their internal versions to 3, any level or model files that have been made can still be read by my programs, but they're probably all broken, so you should resplit/extract them...

8. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    With all of this SA1 Beta stuff I've been getting the itch to replay the game again, and I figured this might be as good a place to ask as any

Was there ever any mod that restores the Dreamcast character models/textures in to the PC version?

I also feel like I might've asked this before? If so, sorry. I have a terrible memory for this stuff.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    There's Dude's old hack. I guess it would be rather simple to export the data from SA1 and import it to SADXPC with my tools now...

10. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Bookmarked that page, thanks.

If I knew anything about digging in to where the textures were kept, or knew how to unpack/re-pack them, I'd actually consider doing the texture hack myself, but I'm way too busy to even consider thinking about that right now, and even after I get done with this game project I have a to-do list that's a mile long :P

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Another update to SA Tools. All tools (except GVM2PAK for reasons) are using Puyo Tools 1.1.0, and buildPE will now read all texture lists, check the corresponding PVM/GVM file, and if the length doesn't match the one in the exe, it makes a new texture list in the extended area.

If you don't resplit your exe before using build, it'll end up thinking every pvm has changed sizes, so you should probably run split.

Edit: fixed bug that prevented animations in 1ST_READ.BIN from being read properly.

12. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Just a recommendation I thought of a few days a go. Sorry if someone mentioned this before.

But how about adding a feature in SAMDL that will scan any file for some object structs by searching for the common scale value (00 00 80 3F 00 00 80 3F 00 00 80 3F) and then moving up 0x20 bytes, as long as the user specifies a key of course? Then you can just list all the object structs the program was able to find (with information provided by the struct) and allow the user to put a check mark next to each individual object they want to display in the viewer?

13. darkspines35

darkspines35

It's Easy Actually. No, seriously. Tech Member
    .V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Since MainMemory suggested it in the IRC, I've been working on making a much easier way to import your files into 3DS Max.

[​IMG]

Wala! I present the first iteration of SA1LVL file importer! It's coming along, but not at the rate I was hoping...still working on reading rotation data. Next is the face and UV data. Then it should be ready for a first release.

14. Catley

Catley

Bit of a bump here. About a week or so ago, I was helping Darkspines35 with textures for Proto Valley. I redid/recolored/merged about 47 textures or so and I'm quite pleased with the results.

Part 1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Part 3 (because the Tornado section doesn't exist in the Autodemo):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now you may be wondering if the level is actually playable in SADX.

Well, uh.
    [​IMG]

In short, no. Darkspines is currently ironing out some issues with his SA1LVL maxscript at the moment.

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    The textures are coming out pretty close to the original, keep up the work! :thumbsup:

16. darkspines35

darkspines35

.V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Just to continue with Catley's update on where things are at. We can't figure out why the game dislikes the file, so we're trying some different stuff to at the very least, make it playable. Once we do that, fixing other issues shouldn't be a problem. We're feeling ambitious in hoping we can restore several of the original objects, but that will not be easy at all. Plus most of the original objects won't have their original coding...so it's not gonna look right regardless of what we do exactly, but we can at least get some objects in there so the game will feel somewhat like it once did.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    [​IMG]

Weird as it may be to suggest, from this angle, this chunk of the level reminds me way more of the second area in Twinkle Park than it does anything in Windy Valley.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No I feel ya, I can definitely recognize the section you're talking about.

19. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Looks very nice. Odd how it's not working in SADX. Any idea why? :\

20. darkspines35

darkspines35

.V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Absolutely none. Morph helped me test it to see if we could get it working through many of the ways we thought might work, and still no idea why it just crashes the game. So I'm finishing up my sa1lvl importer (And will release it) and gonna do things in an ass backward way, but hopefully it will work doing things this way.