don't click here

Sonic Adventure Generations

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dude, May 6, 2012.

1. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    No offense, but how can anyone get lost in SA1? (not counting the hubs here, especially that horrible rain forest maze)

Honestly, the levels were pretty on-rails, at least for everyone but Knuckles and Big. Even then, those last two were generally restricted to somewhat small sandboxes.

2. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, I wasn't talking about SA's levels. Rather some hypothetical version of this game where everything is incredibly open-world. Not saying it couldn't be done well -- just that I'd rather see Dude put his efforts into making sure the existing level design is fun and tight before tackling other stuff. Going and seeing Peach's castle in Mario Kart 64 was AWESOME, but ultimately just an easter egg, y'know?

3. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I wasn't even suggesting that. I'm talking about the overabundance of invisible walls like in Emerald Coast when there's plenty of areas that appear to be perfectly accessible. Either remove those places, or lighten up on the invisible walls. There's invisible walls blocking places that AREN'T just wanderable patches, but still stay well on track with no other paths to take, so the amount of restriction is excessive. Even so, like I said, visual cues to keep you on the right track would work well, and even the larger areas where you could wander are not that much, so you'd have to be really thick to get lost in that scenario. It doesn't subtract from the game, it only adds to it, because the option exists and it isn't at all forced upon you. Did you seriously ever get lost playing Emerald Coast in Sonic Adventure? Come on. This would be even less explorable than that, at least give us some elbow room in this level.

4. SaviourDCX

SaviourDCX

Oldbie
    Great work Dude as always. I really enjoyed playing the 2 new levels Mystic Ruins and a playable level of the prototype Windy Vally :D! A competitive spot for the Sonic hacking contest for sure!

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    All right, I can definitely agree with that. There are some particular times in Emerald Coast where it seems like I should be able to take a shortcut, but invisible walls prevent me from getting onto the platform properly after I've ALREADY crossed the water.

Here's a more skilled playthrough, after several hours of mostly bouncing around Mystic Ruin over and over again. I realized that my friend's melatonic-riddled session made the hack look much worse than it really is, and figured I could rectify that.

6. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    http://shc.hapisan.com/entry/25

The update is out! You can download it off of this page, there are also screenshots and videos of the updated levels. Check out the pretty new lighting and play with Emerald Coast's... new collision =V

Please vote for the mod if you like it!

7. synchronizer

synchronizer

Was your mystic ruins playthrough supposed to be cut midway?

8. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC9RXQZGnvo[/youtube]

I'll upload Mystic Ruins and Windy Valley tomorrow, but they didn't go nearly as badly as before.

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

Your annotations are informative and hilarious!

10. Blivsey

Blivsey

Personally, I think my first EC video was better. Thank you, though!

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

Well of course, the earlier versions had more bugs, but I really like your style. You should make more videos.

12. Faseeh

Faseeh

Dude...

Mystic Ruins is so spectacular with the new lighting! It really feels like a huge update on the original and really just blows the mind since you have really made it look amazing. The first impression is great.

I would like to ask if you did lightfield for it too or if it's only GIA. It does seem like GIA only to me but I can never be sure on this haha.

13. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    As of yet there is no lightfield I'm afraid. I don't have any means of generating lightfields, or it would be there. Hopefully in the future that will change.

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Do you think we should give the new version one more playthrough on the channel as part of our SHC Roundup? I mean, I'll try it out regardless, but are there enough new/interesting things you think we'd find?

15. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    The lighting is the major change, the other things are mostly bugfixes and re-designs to make things more playable. If you want to, go ahead since I appreciate the coverage but it isn't really a huge change.

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm not really any better at the levels, so I'd say we'd struggle to keep a conversation moving around the game at this point, and I don't really care for playthroughs that run off on tangents and never come back, haha. Regardless, we'll definitely play it again for the next content update, and I'm looking forward to checking out the lighting improvements!

17. Blivsey

Blivsey

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG-ZYAxLQ4Y[/youtube]

If anything's weird with this video, blame Youtube, it gave me a hell of a time trying to annotate this.

Incidentally, the mod is Adventure Generations and not Generations Adventure, right? Somecallmejohnny kept using the latter.

18. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Officially the mod is "Sonic Adventure Generations". The logo takes some word-re-arrangement liberty as some logos do, due to the 'adventure' text curving down. The word order was changed for a more visual appeal.

Also thank you for the new video, I'll review it after dinner.

19. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    So I totally disabled the pipeline shaders and tried to run the new update. Horror ensued.

http://I.imgur.com/0SDYZlz.jpg

[​IMG]

The actual cool thing that came out of this was the disabled boost effects. I think using the new running animation and disabling the visual boost effect makes it look more like Adventure Sonic.

20. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Sonic Generations.exe