don't click here

Question regarding SMS/MD adaptors

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by MooMoo, Jul 30, 2013.

1. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    Thanks to the many rabbits I've owned over the years, some of my adaptors are chewed to shit, and I need new ones. Sadly, it's cheaper for me to buy a whole console package on some ebay auctions, rather than a plug by itself. :specialed:

I specifically need an SMS plug, but I've just been wondering. I've interchanged the Mega Drive and Master System adaptors for many years without problems, but I've always known that the outputs on both adaptors were different, the SMS is 9V, 1.0A, and the MD is 10V, 1.2A. I've seen plugs listed which are designed to fit both consoles, and they list the latter specifications.

So what I was wondering is, would using the Mega Drive plug affect my SMS in any way? I use both I and II, so would it affect one over the other? I know the plug I have is likely to have come off the model II, so I'm not sure if the I does indeed match the specs of the MD plug. I'm hoping it wont matter, so then I can go ahead and get the Mega Drive plug (there are more of them) as opposed to the more expensive SMS plugs.

Sorry if I've made this more convoluted than it should have been. :psyduck:

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Both the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis use 7805s internally in order to reduce the power supply voltage to 5V. This requires an input voltage of at least 7V in order to work properly, but will usually handle up to 15V without overheating.

tl;dr SMS adapters should work with MD1s and vice-versa. The amperage difference shouldn't be a problem. (As a point of reference, one of my sets of Genesis 1 + Sega CD 2 systems included an SMS MK-3025 adapter, and it works fine on both the MD1 and MCD2.)

3. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I use MD1 and SMS bricks randomly between MD1, SMS1/2, Game Gear and MCD1/2. MD2 brick has its own plug that fits for MD2, 32X, CDX/Multimega, Nomad and US Game Gears.
    For MD2 likes you can safely use PSone or PS2 brick. For MD1 likes you need at least 7V and 1A or more. 12V 1A bricks are very common and very cheap, you have to look out if polarity is correct (center negative) and that diameter of the barrel and hole is right (I don't remember on top of my head what they are).

4. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    Awesomesauce. I was just concerned incase the higher voltage would eventually fry the SMS. I'll just buy a few spare MD ones in that case.

5. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    SNES plugs work too IIRC, used one with our SMS2 back in the day.

6. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Is there a way to get a MD2/32X compatible AC adapter with the brick in the middle of the cord instead of on the end? I'm guessing not, because that would be a godsend.

7. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    I got myself one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-DELTA-ADP-50ZB-9V-4A-SWITCHING-AC-ADAPTER-/230569291133

Split it off 3 ways on the end and you can power an entire MD/MCD/32X combo on it. I got the tip from this Youtube vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f__C_wDMmSw

This dude even adds a 4th for his SMS

(NOTE: remember to wire the polarities correct, centre negative for SMS/MD1/MCD, and center positive for MD2 and 32X. Otherwise: Paff!)

8. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    This may be a dumb question, but why didn't they just pack a 5v brick in there and not use a downconverter?

9. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    Nah, maybe it fits a MDII, but it certainly doesn't fit a I or SMSII. :/

10. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Sweet, thanks for the info. Incidentally I didn't think of running them off of one supply till your post, so I googled around and found this: http://www.retrogamecave.com/the-sega-trio.html. Sold out though, damn!

11. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Christ knows what kind of freaky ass SNES he had then, but it fitted the SMS2 we had no problem, unless our SMS was the freaky one....

12. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I was just gonna swoop in and suggest one of these, since the topic's deviated from Master Systems to Genesis/CD/32X combos.

I've got a Duo coming in for my Genesis 1/CD 2 combo. I'll let you know how well it works at some point; gonna be moving within a few months, it seems, so might be best to try it out then.

13. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    7805 isn't just a downconverter; it's a voltage regulator. It can smooth out minor dips in the voltage that would otherwise get passed on to other components, plus it has protection against overcurrent situations.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/78xx

14. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Yeah, those Trios sell out FAST. I've been after one for several months but every time he adds new stock I miss out (the last batch sold out in less than an hour), which is why I ended up buying a Delta PSU.

The Trio is the more traditional block on the plug end though, if that is an issue.

15. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I have specifically put off buying a Mega CD because I don't have the plugs available (I plug everything in at once and I am quite OCD about having things left a certain way- also my plugs are hard to reach) but now I've seen one of these baby's, I'll invest in a Mega CD if I can get a Trio as you guys say they're quite elusive... so I'm not getting my hopes up.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Bummmp.
    I'm considering getting a Trio adapter for my model 1 when I have the money, just to free some needed space. For those who have ordered one of these, has the picture or sound quality suffered from the change as in the following quote?
    (I'm also in PAL territory and will have to use a power pin adapter)

Or as in this issue, in US territory:
    Also, is this thing really needed when the 32X is not plugged?