don't click here

Ecco just got easier

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by JaxTH, Jun 19, 2013.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It adds in a "Super Ecco" mode that make Ecco invincible so you can enjoy the story without going through any of the hard stuff.

Japan only so far. But since stuff like Sonic was released I don't see why it WOULDN'T come overseas.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/18/3d-ecco-the-dolphin-has-super-dolphin-mode/

2. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I remember having to do the debug mode cheats to ever get far in the game, so this is a welcome feature.

3. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I always loved the story, atmosphere and music of Ecco.

I too, never did get very far though. I think I always got stuck in 'Undercaves'. I know it's only like the second / third level but it was just the slippery controls when trying to control the shell that always got me.

This had better hit west :)

4. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Godmode as a feature and not a cheat? Blasphemy, I say, blasphemy! If you want to experience the story, watch a longplay of it or something. Literally removing all risk from a game kinda defeats the point of actually playing it.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Not really. Ecco was a beautiful game. Beautiful enough to sometimes make you forget that it was a game with rules. And those rules often got in the way of enjoying the beauty of the game.

6. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    I got to like.... I think a level or two after Tube of Medusa without using passwords to skip levels and only to continue from where I left off. Took a good while to do that though. This is an okay feature but I might play it with it off if it comes to the US.

7. Tanks

Tanks

Ecco really is an experience. This only facilitates its relaying to the masses. I like that. Even I've never been able to get too far in Ecco because of how hard it is.

8. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Because to get overseas Ecco has to travel through warp rings.
    [​IMG]

9. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    Bet Super Ecco still won't get you past The Machine in a jillion years though.

10. gold lightning

gold lightning

I guess I'm in the small minority in not being too keen about this. I always felt the difficulty was part of the game's charm. This might have to do with the fact that I actually beat it a few times though. Still, I felt that the unlimited lives and the password system more than made up the incredibly difficult levels.

On the other hand, I guess this is kind of a good thing since it will help expose more people to the game.

11. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    God mode doesn't help make those tricky jumps in Atlantis.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    please please please please please have the sega cd soundtrack

13. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Remember, this feature is still completely optional. Its presence does not detract from a standard playthrough in the proper difficulty mode at all.

I'm having flashbacks to Fire Emblem Awakening's release, when everyone was bitching about a the presence of a similarly optional casual mode. Apparently people get offended that others might enjoy things differently than they do.

14. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    All games are, but they're also games. The difficulty is a part of that experience. You're meant to feel dreadful because of the odds against you, Ecco is a pretty dark feeling game. Especially how sad he sounds while whimpering when hit. Let the player be invincible and you take that vital part of the experience out.

Do you think I'm actually mad about this or something? Of course it's optional. I just find the concept of it rather absurd. I always considered the difficulty to add to the experience, to help set the mood.

15. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    It'd be pointless to play with god mode IMO...

The game really isnt that difficult if you practice. Hell I play it on difficult all the time now.

16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I've tried playing Ecco on multiple occasions via Ultimate Genesis Collection, and I still have absolutely no idea what the hell I am supposed to do. I need a waypoint marker or something.

17. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I have beat both games multiple times. The trick is to keep using the map to find fish and air, after you do that the game really isn't that hard.

18. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Since this is the most recend topic, the whole series is coming to the west "soon".
    The games are:
    - 3D Altered Beast
    - 3D Ecco the Dolphin
    - 3D Galaxy Force II
    - 3D Shinobi III
    - 3D Sonic The Hedgehog
    - 3D Space Harrier
    - 3D Streets of Rage
    - 3D Super Hang-On

19. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Anyone play the Japanese versions of these games? I'm curious which ones benefit the most from 3D, and which the least. I'll obviously be getting Sonic, and probably Space Harrier and Super Hang-On, but I really don't see, for example, Altered Beast as really having much to gain from the extra depth.

20. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I played Space Harrier at the MCM Expo in London a little while back and the 3D effect was really nice. Almost feels like the 3DS was made for this game, or vice versa. That was the only one they had there though so not sure how well the Mega Drive games benefit from it.