don't click here

Sonic Boom 2013

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skyler, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Rainbow bacon

Rainbow bacon

I am a Cat eating waffles atop a tree next to Jesu
    Wherever the hell I want.
    Learning to do stuff.
    Welp, I guess I'm not going this year.
    Or ever.
    Nothing ever happens in Oregon. Nobody lives here. :(

2. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I'm actually really shocked they brought it here to Missouri... seriously we never get this stuff. I can't believe all the butt hurt over the event coming here, the coasts always get this kind of stuff leaving us here in the Midwest in the dust... I can understand that some of you guys won't be going this year due to the price of the tickets and the location, but some of the comments over on the Sega Blog are just people belly aching over the fact that it's not coming to Cali again, even though it was in California the past few years. (Of course many of those posters are probably naive kids but still...) You never know, it could end up going to Oregon one year Rainbow bacon. xP Seriously since St. Louis is getting the event this year anything is possible. Anyway did anyone else get tickets? I believe I saw one other member saying he got his but anyone else? The more the merrier of course. :3

3. Tanicius

Tanicius

Las Vegas
    http://www.sonic-revolution.net/
    Actually, this whole moving eastward may have very well given rise to something I've always wanted, Ravenfreak. In the event one's in California and can't attend this, it seems Retro isn't the only group holding an alternative meetup in response. The team behind SonicRadio.net and SonicAnime.net have gotten together to hold their own fan meetup. Details are as follows:

They've actually organized a group so as to supervise further meetups. Styling itself Sonic Boom West, with the intention of organising more meetups in the future. They are hoping (based on their about page) to one day follow in Summer of Sonic's footsteps and go from small meetups to an actual convention. A further goal seems to one day have similar conventions in multiple regions across the United States.

Sonic Boom West has opened a site for people to register so they can get an idea of headcount and to coordinate future events. They also have a Facebook page for the event itself. I'm eagerly following their progress, not just because there is promise to it and the fact I'm in the Western United States, but that this movement began only two days ago.

Given that SonicRemix, one of the major backers, is a radio personality at Sonic Radio and Radio SEGA, there's promise I believe. Regardless, just figured I'd let people in on it so that those who can't get to Boom can at least get something relatively close this year. Who knows, maybe I'll attend eventually; I can't go this year though because there's already time conflicts with Boom alone.

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I prefer Retro's style of meetup since video games usually aren't involved and it's just us socializing and drinking it up.

Of course, if someone brings a long a Nomad (and a miniature nuclear power plant), laptop, or a PSP, I don't think people would mind...

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    SonicAnime.net still exists?

6. Tanicius

Tanicius

Las Vegas
    http://www.sonic-revolution.net/
    My friend requested 6 days off, but since he had 4 or 5 off earlier this month he may not get them. Well drat, this puts me in quite a difficult position.

...guess it's time I stop being so dependent on others and just fly out alone. I'll meet up with friends over in St. Louis and go from there. My mother will be overprotective as usual, but I will say that nothing will stop me from going. Sonic Boom 2012 was perhaps the best night I've ever had in my life, and no schedule conflict is keeping me down!

It does sound like a different type of meetup overall, yes. From what I gather the Retro meetups just use Sonic as a medium (via this website) rather than being necessarily about Sonic; SonicRemix' goal is very different given the desire to assemble enough Sonic fans that at some point in the future, an actual convention of sorts (hopefully eventually gaining SEGA sponsorship) would be doable.

Thus far it's only looking like 8 people, 10 if my friend and I can find the time to go. Humble beginnings or what?

The place looked fairly dead.

Its radio show is still alive and kicking however. The various Sonic and SEGA radio groups all do work together from what I see.

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I've only been to SonicAnime.net TWICE after the Crystal era was over and found that it had been reduced to a forum and then later some kind of furry site.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The love of Sonic is there, yes, but it's so back burner that it doesn't really play a factor for more than a few seconds. That and a fair bit of us have known each other online for some time that it's more like, "Oh, so you're not a sentient server/creepy 40 year old guy. k."

Except Skyler. He's totally a creepy 40 year old guy. Ruby Eclipse can confirm but won't. He'll sit there with a sheepish smile.

Don't think I don't see you. :colbert:

But that's also what made last year's Retro meet up so weird. We went to a YardHouse near House of Blues, got some appetizers and a beer and most of us just shot the shit. We DID have some people who showed up that apparently weren't from the site but were all like, "Hai, it's RETRO!" And while they were fangasming over Sonic and doing goofy shit like quoting SA2 in public exaggeratedly, some of us would stare at them like, "...seriously?"

Then we had one guy who was there with his parents (I think?) wanted a photo op with us. It was... quite strange.

I'm sure they all may be reading this too! So yes, protip guys... simmer down with the Sonic stuff. Otherwise, you look as silly as some of those validation posts that never get validated.

HINT. HINT.

But otherwise, hanging with Retro U.S. is pretty all right. Apparently Retro U.K. is much better? I'd say this goes without discussion since Retro U.K. has the enigmatic Overlord and our beloved Queen Blanche.

9. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    I hope one day I can go to a Retro meeting, because seriously meeting you guys in real life would be awesome. I think it's cool that their goal is to maybe have multiple meet ups for everyone in the US and possibly outside the country as well. Their view is correct, this event really shouldn't just be held in one city once a year... But for now I am going to celebrate since it's finally coming to my hometown. :3 I wish more members lived closer to myself though as we could all just meet up at a pizza place or something and just have a good time. There is one member who lives like two towns away from me on SSMB but that seems to be it... :v:

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Why do you think I go by sonic_lover_42 in all the chat rooms?

11. You're not the only one that lives close to St. Louis. [​IMG]

Guess I'm going to go after all, some friends have already requested off work so we're golden. It sucks that there aren't as many Retro members going, but it makes sense. Outside of Boom, there isn't really anything to couple it with sans maybe a Cardinals game or doing more touristy things like visiting the arch. But if that's not your thing, it makes sense to save money and stay home (or go to Retro's own meetup in California.)

12. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Partially why I'm tempted to fly to the UK sometime :V

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Please. Last year, they read the most asinine questions, such as:

"How come no one's ever drawn Sonic and friends without shoes? Do they have toes?" (an off mic response of Iizuka going, "...are you fucking kidding me?" was uttered in Japanese.)

"Fans want Marine back! Will you bring back Marine?"

"Please make Sonic Adventure 3!" (this isn't even a question... but if it was, the answer should always be '"No. A thousand times No.")

14. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    "SA3! SA3! SA3! SA3! SA3!"

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It's funny because their cheering lead to nothing and will continue to, like the Shenmue 3 cries.

Both are lost causes. Valkyria Chronicles 3 fans have a better chance of getting a digital release since it can also go on Vita.

No "insider Sega" hints here, so down journos. This is just common sense.

16. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Those questions make me cringe... I still have yet to submit my questions. I'll do so tonight though. I really hope some decent questions get asked this year though.

17. Sapphire

Sapphire

It's like boo! Member
    So I'm actually gonna get to go to Sonic Boom! I'm pretty pumped. Though I don't hang around here much and don't really know any of you, it'll be beyond awesome to meet some uber Sonic fans like yourselves in person.

I submitted questions to Sega to ask Iikuza, too. I can't even imagine how many people have asked about Sonic Adventure 3... :rolleyes:

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Heavily considering going to this, who knows if there will be one this close to me again. (No, I don't consider 500 miles "close", but you know.) It'd be cool to meet up with some Retro folks and not be there awkwardly alone after an 8 hour drive. Haha.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Aww, I would have loved to see you.