don't click here

Oh god. Again...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Lapper, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Hope I don't get shot for making this, but I just came across this video, and may be interesting talk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct5zLRzn8J4

So apparently he has a rom. Looks like it's being played on a flat-screen PC monitor to me anyway, and it does say.

...is this one real? I know that the ol' hoax from before was fake and anyone who thought that was real was silly (me included), but this actually does look just like those new screenshots we came across. Although the welcome sign and the enemy never appear.

[​IMG]

Even my remake I made after the old hoax ago wasn't this accurate at all, and I thought I did rather well :P

Obviously I'm guessing fake, but this is amazing even so.

2. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    It's fake, all these hoaxes have the same rookie mistake of using the same head shading from the final game. The screens of the toy show demo have a flatter shading style, with the highlights being around the edges of his head, not the top centre.

[​IMG]

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Easily fake. Look at the shape of the head of the tree. In the screenshots it's rounded, in this hoax it's no different from the rest of the stem/bark.

4. Mly

Mly

Not to say I'm thinking this might be real; in fact I figure I'm as skeptical about this as anyone else. And I'd also like to point out that this is merely what I'm seeing when I look at it, and surely I don't have perfect perception. But, playing the devil's advocate here:

@Taxman: I'm not really seeing an artistic style on Sonic so markedly different as for it to be impossible to blame on the difference between how it was captured. One is a somewhat grainy and sloppy comic scan which is sharp, but very brightened and seemingly possibly a bit too contrasted; the other is captured with a blurry camera, and seems even brighter, but much more ... er, the opposite of contrasted, sorry I can't remember the word.

@Blue Blood: Actually, I'm seeing blurriness on the sides up there that looks like it might be the slight roundedness blending with the sky due to the camera.

I'm wondering about two problems, though. The guy ran pretty far and there didn't seem to be much, so where's that enemy? If I understand correctly this is a very early testing version, seems like they would put him just a little bit off to one side (seemingly off to the right) if they wanted to make sure his AI, movement, etc. was working properly. Also, if this is on a PC, why isn't he recording with a screen recorder on the machine itself, and instead using a physical camera of some kind, unless he wants to purposefully make the screen blurry and make it difficult to make things out?

5. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    Not a definite debunk, but this

[​IMG]

should be the same as this

[​IMG]

and seeing how repetitive the mountains are and how often that specific group of tiles are used here, while the circled tiles from the magazine scan are nowhere to be seen when there is a clear spot for them to appear, I am going to say that I am not convinced of the authenticity of this video.

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I don't suppose the scans can really show the shading on Sonic too well, and perhaps the guy doesn't know what Fraps is?

That mountain part is rather odd though, yeah. Still clinging though!
    ...a little. :P

7. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    There's also the fade; for one, it's too quick in transition from title to level with little to no "loading time", for two it doesn't give that blue-tint fade in every iteration.

No point having another speculation topic. Locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.