don't click here

Sonic Boom 2013

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skyler, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Depending on when the meetup happens, I could do SF.

2. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    That's way too late to request time off work etc. :( My coworker said he'd like to go with me but I'd truly only want to go if I knew some Retro members were going.

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Why not have it in Florida ? ;p We Got beaches, bitches, and Orlando. (Our Disney is bigger than your Disney)
    Sarcastic blasphemy aside, I guess traveling to the middle of the states is better than driving all the way across to CA. I think MO is the best choice for placement to be fair to everyone.
    I could be there in a day from Florida. Can fans open there own booths for fan games?

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'll keep this in mind. =P

(No, I'm not going to Boom, before anyone asks =P)

5. Kilometers Prower

Kilometers Prower

no mater wot medoner ses Oldbie
    USA
  6. Tanicius

Tanicius

Las Vegas
    http://www.sonic-revolution.net/
    For some reason I had a feeling SoS and SB would jointly announce tickets on the 13th. Seems they might have some coordinated efforts this year after all! Or it's just convenience.

I'm just glad they finally got tickets out; I was really concerned they were going to cut it close.

The ticket info is really vague, though... where are they being sold? How much are they being sold for? And why wasn't this information posted on SEGA's blog? As much as I love this event I think SEGA's been very poor with setting it up this year.

7. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I'm in OC and next to Los Angeles, so I'm game for those.

San Francisco would only be if I had somewhere to crash that didn't cost big bucks.

8. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Christ, I forgot you gotta buy tickets for this sort of thing. I hope they're not uber-expensive as my bank account has been taking it hard enough in the past few weeks. >.>

9. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    My guess is they'll be $20 again like they were last year, but judging by what went on last year all the food and prizes were free. Depending on how far you live from St. Louis, you wouldn't necessarily have to get a hotel room but if you needed gas well then... (I'm guessing you live somewhere out here in the St. Charles County area since you buy stuff from V-Stock...) Thank Christ I get paid on Wednesday when they do go on sale, perfect timing I must say! :D

10. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Also some info that may or may not be interesting to SS or others, some other fan-run meetup is happening in September in Orange, CA: http://www.sonicradio.net/home/2013/06/sonic-boom-california-september-14th/

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Well then tickets are going to be a little bit more expensive this year, they are $23. The Pageant just added the information on their events list on Facebook. Remember tickets go on sale at 10 am CST tomorrow! I'll go ahead and post the link here.

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    It's an 8 hour drive for me. If I could get a friend to go with I'd be all for it but I don't think that'll happen. :/

13. Tanicius

Tanicius

Las Vegas
    Minor correction; they're 23 dollars with a 6 dollar fee, so 29 dollars in total!

It's a lot more than last year, certainly... either they had to put more down for this event, or they wanted to break even more easily.

Regardless I'll be prowling at my computer the moment they open for sale!

If nothing else the price tag is justified by all the stuff you get for free upon entry. I'm actually curious if they'll have the same hat/shirt/keychain/comic combination as last year or change it up. I guess I'll found out.

14. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Just bought my tickets and my gf and I are going to sonic boom! Just got to print them out once we go to her parents house. Can't wait to see you guys! Go get them now!

15. Tanicius

Tanicius

Las Vegas
    I have acquired my tickets as well! I'm actually quite eager to see how many sell this year... I presume they won't sell out if last year is any indication, but that's why I'm trying to aggressively promote the event.

I'll need to find some way to make myself distinguishable, I suppose. Had I the time and money I'd probably build some sort of cosplay suit... I was torn between Dark Enerjak from the Silver Saga of Archie or Fleetway Super Sonic, but I never got around to it, unfortunately.

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    $29 a ticket is ridiculous.

See you in San Francisco.

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    >$30 to go stand around for a few hours with some Sonic fans of questionable quality

Is it too late to re-book for Retro Barcade 2013?

18. Nova

Nova

I'm eyeing up a November date. I've been meaning to talk to everyone about this.

Though I fail to see the logic in avoiding a $30 US-based convention and attending a UK meet-up where you'll probably spend over that in alcohol anyway, putting aside travel costs. ;)

(Psst, that said, it would be awesome to have another US member show up. So far we've had SS and Dark Sonic turn up to a couple and it was awesome)

19. Yeah, I'm fairly close to St. Louis and the only real draw is getting to try Lost Worlds. That's definitely not worth $30.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The $30 is actually the smallest part of it. It's more that there's nothing to really pair it with. With 2011, you were basically at E3 (and some of us snuck in.) For 2012, it was an extra event of San Diego Comic Con, which was a little more liberal than E3. This made the $20 somewhat better to take (and Ruby explained the reasoning for ticket pricing better as well.)

But with St. Louis, the only extra I can find to justify the trip is to eat barbecue and go watch the Cardinals thrash the Cubs. I can pretty much go watch the Cubs on the cheap at Wrigley any old time, though.

tl;dr: the lack of any major event around this this year makes it a harder pill to swallow when you consider Sonic Boom is pretty much a bunch of Sonic fans trying to peacock themselves as the #1 fan. It's fun shines in if you go with friends, get a little drunk (to stomach some of the fans, because damn some of you are irritating), or both.