don't click here

The 2013 Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Send me the image, please. I'll see what's wrong.

Edit: problem is fixed; a stupid mistake in code. It was accepting only images with lowercase extensions. Silly, silly me.

2. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
  3. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Personally, I'd say anything that goes beyond slightly modifications to existing code; creating a new object from scratch, creating a new screen mode, playing with the interrupts, rewriting the sound driver..

I'm sure others can explain it better than me, though. If you think you've done this, just set it anyway. Nobody is going to have a go at you in the comments for saying you've set it when they think it isn't. (This isn't a challenge, anyone else; you'll be muted on the comments should you do so. :P)

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

No Knuckles Trophy this year? There goes even my "Honorable Mentioning". :P

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can't wait to see what Robotnik's revenge's creator has in store for us this year

6. ChaosRinger

ChaosRinger

Sonic The Hedgehog and The Holy Rings
    Read through the rules and no joke hacks, so unfortunately I won't be able to bring in a "Sonic 3 As You Truly Imagined It" or anything of the like. XD

I'll try to get myself these last few trial posts in and get registered, though, I've been working on something in the background that should be a shoe-in for one of these trophies at least.

7. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    While you need to be through trial to enter normally, you could just ask. :P We can make exceptions.

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Ah yes... ColinC10 has become the #1 reason for me to check out the Hacking Contests... I too look forward to yet another great entry from him.

9. ChaosRinger

ChaosRinger

Thanks, Cinossu. :D
    How should I get it to you when it's done?

10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Try logging in now; it should let you in to be able to add it all yourself.

11. ChaosRinger

ChaosRinger

I'm getting the same error that someone else got earlier, the images won't upload and I get an error.
    Edit: Alright, it's suddenly working now. It might have just been my popup blocker screwing around. Sorry.

12. Gah, I'm working on something I'd really like to enter, but it's extremely unlikely to be ready on time in any shape or form. Maybe next year.

13. Oh man this is gunna be a fun little week, I for one enjoyed Robotnik's Revenge when I played that. I wonder what will steal the show this year.

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Is there a way to add small images of new monitor art within the hack description, like you can on the wiki (next to said monitor description, so that the player knows what the monitor they are hunting for looks like), or would I simply add images of said monitors in the gallery? The latter would only be less convenient because of the small size of the images (with them being monitor art and all).

EDIT: Also, out of curiosity, what is the actual deadline time? As in, is the deadline 12:00 AM August 1st, and if so what timezone?

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    You can't add images to the description, no; it'll have to be in the gallery. As for the exact deadline time.. I'd assume 31st July 23:59:59, but I could be wrong.

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Right, I've spoken with the judges this year, and because I'm not submitting anything, I thought I'd do something interesting.

If I recall correctly from a previous contest, there was a cash prize offered, but from what I've been reading, it was never actually issued out, or it wasn't real, or whatever (I don't know, I wasn't there). So, this year, I'm offering 250 US dollars to the Hidden Palace Zone trophy winner. Now I'm serious about this, and I'm also aware that some of you may not trust me to cough up, so I'll try to ease into your confidence by mentioning that, I have in fact done a mini contest on SSRG before offering a cash prize, and the winner did actually recieve it. Now unless I end up being hit by a car between now and the end of the contest, the winner will definately recieve it.

A few details to note are;

• If your currency is different to U.S. Dollar, then the prize will be converted (I.e. if you want to recieve in Euros, it'll be converted to about 192 Euros before being sent to you), of course, the value conversion will change between now and the end of the contest, so be aware of that.
    • I will note that you must have a paypal account of some kind, I'm not posting via envelope.
    • This prize is only issued to the judged trophy, not the community trophy.
    • If the winner is a team with multiple people, then the cash prize is divided up between the members of that team, each member, must have a paypal account to recieve their portion of the prize seperately.
    I'm not part of the judging team, so I won't be able to nudge the prize to anyone specifically, this will give you a fair chance. I offer you all good luck!

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Just added the images to the gallery, and the thumbnails thankfully enlarged and fit the image to the established frame, so that worked out fine.

18. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Don't know if this has been asked, but can't be arsed to read 4 pages. Can I submit two hacks? Say, "Sonic 2 Recreation" and "Sonic 2 Time Attack"?

19. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    "People can submit as many entries as they want" - Sonic Hacking Contest - About Page

This can also be helpful to others as well - I'd recommend checking there first for any other future questions; it covers a great deal of common questions that may come up.

20. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Just a reminder that you have two weeks to submit your entries to the Hacking Contest. After that you'll have one week to update these entries.

If you have a problem where you are having issues with submitting your entry, let us know and it will be fixed. If you are not a full member of Sonic Retro or SSRG and would like to submit, contact a judge and we'll sort it out for you.