don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Smiling
    [​IMG] Smiling
    [​IMG] Smiling
    [​IMG] He's literally smiling and giving the camera a "3" while Robotnik flies around burning down the forest.

Don't even get me started on all the smiling and quipping Sonic did during the adventure games.

He acts like bugs bunny/cartoon characters because that is his personality! He is quick-witted and confident. Eggman doesn't shake him because he's Eggman and Sonic is always 1-step ahead of him.

2. synchronizer

synchronizer

I was referring to how sluggish Sonic seems, as if the physics from SOnic Colors were made even worse.

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I can understand where he's coming from, though. To only act that way at every moment doesn't really lend itself to anything interesting, just a kind of stagnant character. I think he was pointing at Sonic's more determined or serious moments, such as the opening of Sonic CD, several of the tenser moments in the Adventures, the OVA, Unleashed, so on and so forth. Sure, he's cocky, sassy, goofy and quick-witted, but he could always be more of a character than a one trick pony.. which he sort of has been in recent titles.

On a different note, the more footage I've seen of this game the more I like it. I really am digging how rolling, the Spindash, the peel-out, bounce attack, and double jump are all back. Lots of variety to go around, it seems.

4. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Yes, I was also thinking about his eyes in the first games and the S3&K sprite. He is only smiling on the covers and on the celebration sprite at the end of the games. In the Adventure games, he has his moments where he makes jokes and all, but overall he takes his missions seriously (Sky Chase or Crazy Gadget come to mind).

5. Sonic Lost World watching Gamespot direct audio playthrough of the E3 Demo I just love how it sounds and how the game looks like it can be fun to play. After seeing the Nintendo Direct I am convince that besides getting myself a new PC and eventually a PS4 I want a Wii U.

6. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    ...Eh.

Sonic's a character that sees stopping his nemesis from doing bad things as a sport. Something he sees more akin to a game where he isn't afraid to do tricks and show off, even when seemingly a few moments from death. He's reckless in his nature, and I feel they've been nailing that attitude of his well recently. Hell, in Sonic 3 the only time Sonic isn't grinning is when his mouth isn't drawn (like most of the time in Sonic 1 and 2} or he's pissed at you for not pressing the controller. Either way, right from the get go he was, at least as he was being shot off as from SoE/SoA, suppose to be the quintessential my-life-is-a-game-and-I'm-winning-it kind of guy.

Does that mean he has to be a stale character? Of course not, and recently he's been more passive than anything. The way I see it, if SEGA wants to keep Sonic being the "cocky asshole" character who you can still enjoy playing as, they should make him more aggressive in some ways. He does have a lot more voice clips in Lost World, and IDK how annoying that'll get but it can't be any more than Mario's constant wahoo's now can it?

If anyone wants to see a good example of the type of character I outlined for Sonic, why don't you look at any of Sonic and the Black Knight's script? Yes, I said Black Knight. His dialogue in that game's pretty hilarious; he constantly makes banter with Caliburn (his sword, to those who never played}, at some parts of the game being his foil. Where Caliburn would shout in fear that they were about to fall, Sonic would say "I know, isn't it great!?" Yes, he said that. Word for word. He's a character who laughs in the face of danger. Is that a bad thing? Of course not! He can definitely have emotion, but at the same time he can keep being who he is to be a developed character. I think everyone's just looking at him act like a buffoon lately, just letting everything happen and explaining his jokes instead of letting his actions do the talking, that we look at what's going on screen and just scratch our heads in confusion. And I get that. But... come ON, it's a cartoon game. It'd be cool if the characters had complex personalities IF DONE RIGHT, but that's honestly the least of my concerns right now. I prefer sticking with making all the characters unique to each other, and make Sonic less of a passive happy-go-lucky and more of a yeah-I-do-what-I-want kind of guy. He can still laugh at danger and be legitimately cool (as in, not a total douchebag you'd never talk to}, but still actually be enjoyable to watch act on screen.

7. Hello Everybody! I was meaning to post this a couple of days ago but Animal Crossing.
    On Wednesday, I spent some time at E3. Most of it was playing Sonic Lost World.

First thing's first; It's 60fps. It's fucking hot.

I have to talk a bit about the game mechanics. Sonic's "geared" system is interesting, the triggers, aside from using to switch gears, they were kinda standalone moves. Here's what I gathered:

• LT — Your spindash. You hold the trigger to charge it up, let it go and you shoot off in the direction you're aiming for. It feels more like the SA2 spindash (I'll expand on that in a minute). Very quick, responsive, and can be used consecutively. From what I remember, you keep the momentum going a bit by holding forward.

• RT — The "mid gear" so to speak. This get's you into a faster speed if you're jogging around the stage, by holding the trigger. However, if you stand still and press RT, you get start your Super Peel Out Charge. Moving the joystick will have you zoom in that direction in high speed. If you let get of the trigger without picking a direction, the move cancels.

• Just moving the joystick w/o trigger gets sonic jogging around. Good speed for platforming. It's almost analogous to playing as SMG Luigi, but with precise control; snappy.

• The parkour system is interesting. There's no butting/gimmick to activate it. All you do is just run up a wall; tilting the joystick like you're going up a half-pipe. It's amazingly responsive, and if I remember correctly you can jump onto a wall if you're fast enough. Momentum plays a key role in staying on the wall; if you're good enough you can activate the geared running to get on the wall, then SA2-spindash to stay on the wall indefinitely. You can also jump from wall to wall while keeping the momentum. It's pretty nuts.

And yeah, there's some peculiar SA2 like things happening with Sonic's controls. Sonic stomp is replaced by the SA2 bounce (however you can only do it a finite amount of times). Sonic can cling on ledges automatically SA2 style; it's also pretty snappy and responsive. I'm probably speaking in hyperbole, but if you just hold RT and just go through the level, it kinda feels like you're playing SA2, but with faster acceleration/speed. Though jumping isn't as floaty as... a lot of his 3D past titles actually. Very snappy, responsive and has a lot of weight to it. You'll notice a recurring theme with everything I just said. But I agree with the poster who said that the controls may be too complex for casual/new players.

I played the first 2 levels in the demo, and watched someone played the third. Here's what I noticed:

Playing Windy Hill 1, One thing I noticed is Nintendo must've gave Eggman a lot of money because his deadly speed traps are everywhere. Spikes are everywhere, tons of badniks, even some that pop out of bushes/where you least expect it, and all of these placed in a way that "Boost(sorta)-to-win" is an improbability. However, boost-to-win/autoscripting sections are there... if you can find them. There are so many alternate paths and ways to get around. The video posted above looked like a there was a mach speed section to the game. I never found a way to get to that part, and I played the zone 3 times. Power-ups are wonderfully hidden in parts of the level; exploration is bountiful and pretty fun. I could easily spend 2+ minutes searching every path and crevice in the first stage part of Windy Hill 1 (before getting bounced up the the next part of the stage via the big springs). I really hope it's indicative of all the 3D levels. The new controls and parkour system works very well with the zaniness of the level design. This is a really really solid 3D sonic platforming.

Then came Desert Ruins 2.

As great the 3D was, it doesn't translate well in 2D quite as well. The main reason: Sonic's jump. Since his jump is influenced by the speed/momentum, and you are capped at essentially 2 speeds, manipulating your jump is hindered. I mentioned how pressing the RT starts the peel-out, but letting it go w/o going a direction cancels the move? Well that means you can't hold RT as a means to gain speed with your jump, and since holding RT WHILE going a direction shoots you off at top-speed, it gets a bit frustrating to time a longer jump. You basically have to walk->run->jump, which requires a lot of space... which I felt I didn't have in that zone. I kept using the double-jump to circumvent this, which I hope doesn't become a requirement/detriment in future levels. The slew of obstacles that was done well well in 3D feels a bit chaotic in 2D; I felt like I had to be in walking gear to progress, because I was bound to fuck something up if went too fast... which led to more double-jumping for longer jumps. And for some reason, Sonic felt a bit slower in that stage. I saw other people play that level the same way, and I hope not all the 2D parts of the game doesn't seem to be that all over the place.

I didn't play the Desert Ruins 3/Mach speed zone. I saw other people playing it and it seemed that they had a blast. It's more free-moving and I didn't see any evidence of side-stepping or full on boosting. It reminded me of running down tubes/halfpipes in Green Forest but polished and a whole zone dedicated to it. Alternate paths were also present in that zone.

I also played the first level of the 3DS version, but only for a little bit. It's 30fps but it's still pretty responsive. The first Zone felt like a larger/wider and more platform-y version of it's Wii-U counterpart, with less paths. I don't recall being chased by the big Caterkiller like in the screenshots/videos out there, but my hope is it's a discoverable event like the sections I mentioned before.

Yes, there was wisps (at least the lazer one), and it kind of throws you off your game, if you plan on Gotta-go-fasting; everything has to be done on the gamepad. Though it also seemed that using the wisp was crucial to progressing, which is good. In fact, when I used it, the only thing it did was put me a little bit farther into the stage, which I could've done in the same amount of time just running, because I had to stop and focus on the gamepad

Also, it's really pretty when up close. Like the little details, like animal buddies screaming for help inside the container, the way the enemies are animated. etc.

That's pretty much all my impressions with the game. I hope all this makes sense to everyone.

8. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    tl;dr, it's a fun game? Good to know.

Seems they listened to everyone who wants Adventure gameplay and decided to bring those mechanics back... though I think what they added on top of it's going to make this game work. Huh! Looking forward to whenever the demo's available for Wii U later in the year.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Just for the record, we have a clean rip the Windy Hill music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrgNq9NX-jY

It cuts off before it loops, but at 1:30 there's plenty to listen to. It's pretty gorgeous if you ask me. Kinda reminds of PS1/Saturn era music. It almost sounds like something I'd expect Richard Jacques to have come up with. It's probably Tomoya Ohtani though, since he's directing the soundtrack for the game. The Desert Ruins music (the actual desert stage) and the honeycomb stage music sound like Kenichi Tokoi. Very SA1-esque.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There's nothing really "90s" about it - it's a similar style to that seen in Sonic Unleased and its successors. Lots of stringed instruments.

11. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

I'm not really diggin' that music at all. I'm not really sure what I expected though, cause that's the type of music that we've gotten in the past couple games. Music aside, the game looks really fun, and I'm definitely contemplating getting a Wii U for it.

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    The 3DS version's sound quality is awful compared to the Wii U one. :v: I wouldn't really use this video at all to judge the music.

13. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    Just wanted to mention that I played the Wii U version at E3, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. I'm definitely looking forward to this game.

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Not too dizzying, the perspective, right? That's been the one concern I've heard from people that the game, with how odd some of the levels are laid out, would get disorienting for people.

To me, it seems like if you got used to the gameplay of Mario Galaxy, you can easily stomach this.

15. it is 100% tomoya ohtani. can't you tell from the 1-2-1-2 percussion, the violins, and the upbeat piano? :P sounds straight out of sonic colors and unleashed. as for the desert ruins stuff, I'd love to hear that as a clean rip, if it hasn't been already.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CAnz195pag[/youtube]
    [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6exsatE-DUk[/youtube]
    https://www.youtube....h?v=F2BLJZnqq4U
    https://www.youtube....h?v=L58duIzaMqc

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm confused - none of these youtube links sound like this game either

My point was the game sounds more like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDhIJV8L_sI

than this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNrC97PFH_E

18. serpx

serpx

Yes, it's been many years, but I'm still not over Sonic being on Nintendo platforms. This exclusivity is so funny because the Nintendo platform is helping to save the hedgehog, versus destroy him.

Also, someone mentioned that this is a step back for the franchise. I agree, but I also think it's a step forward at the same time. It's going to be interesting to see where the franchise goes from here -- this is definitely a highly Nintendo-inspired game, and sadly that may be best for Sonic right now.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

The music sounds like a version of Rooftop Run Modern from Generations, except more repetitive and slightly annoying.

20. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    There's a nice ska-like sound to it from the guitar upstrokes, trumpets, and keyboards that I'm digging greatly. Much in the same way Rooftop Run Classic is so awesome.