don't click here

Amateur moments playing Sonic games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Samurai Echidna, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I'm not even sure that Episode 3 is going to happen - Iizuka said a while back that there aren't any plans for a third Episode.

2. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

I am aware of that, I just didn't want to completely dismiss the possibility of an Episode 3. Crazier things have happened.

3. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    This isn't me, but it always bothers me when newcomers play Sonic and painstakingly try to collect all the rings.

When I was a wee lad playing Sonic 3, I could never beat the fourth special stage (blue Chaos Emerald).

4. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    When recording a Launch Base playthrough not long ago to test Wii/GC game recording on an HDPVR 2, I had a few amateur moments...one being jumping RIGHT into the first Orbinaut and forgetting to Insta-shield it.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The 3 spheres with the lines of bumpers in-between them always used to give me trouble. I actually had a really really hard time with the special stages, mainly because I didn't have a manual or box to go with my copies of the games so I didn't realize for a while that you could surround the spheres to make them turn into rings. Made it a hell of a lot easier, and my first success with the green emerald was also one which I got a perfect on.

6. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    Sonic 3D Blast was my first Sonic game. I got it for PC when I was about 5. I didn't know you needed to collect the Flickies. I would run around the first section of GGZ Act 1 for an hour trying to figure out where to go next.

7. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

Some could argue that's more of a bad choice in game development than an honest mistake anyone could make. Many people have said that Sonic should just be about platforming with speed/momentum building. And seeing something like the Game Grumps messing up when they had to control Silver near the end of Sonic's story in Sonic '06 makes me inclined to agree.

8. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I guess my biggest amateur moment would be those sliding block platforms near the end of Chemical Plant Act 2. I was six years old and barely had a grip on the controls, so yeah, I drowned a lot in that flooded section. =P And without a save feature, I was stuck repeating it dozens of times. I'm super fast at getting through it now though!

Still do the exact same thing man, every time! XD

9. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    The only time I ever had problems with a Sonic game was Marble Zone act 3 when I was a kid, I'd always get lost.

My first Sonic game was Sonic 2 when I was 7 years old way back when it was released. I then moved onto S3 + K and Sonic Spinball.

Although Sonic 1 was the first Sonic game I ever played it was the Arcade version and I never got through Green Hill. So when I finally got a copy of Sonic 1 I found it to be far more difficult than the sequels which I'd become accustomed to.

These days I can breeze through every game without barely looking, something which onlookers seemed amazed by, but it's merely the result of years of practice.

10. Pigeon

Pigeon

Nothing really
    I think my amateur moment (other than random Chemical Plant mess ups as a 5 year old) was in Sonic Generations. I had beaten the game, and was randomly doing missions for the sake of it. I had also been playing Sonic 4 Episode 2 recently. I played the Tails: Toxic Skies mission in Chemical Plant, and kept messing up because I keep forgetting you have to be on the ground to call Tails. I kept jumping into the air then pressing the button. I think I died once as well -.-

11. Hukos

Hukos

It's challenging, but not impossible. You have to make some pretty precise jumps to do it (Getting past some of the spears without getting hit means you have to take a very specific jumping arc to get by it, unless you want to wait and slow down).

It's such a rush being able to pull it off! But it's probably the hardest thing you can do in Sonic 1.

As for amateur moments in Sonic games, I think BSC's run of S3&K pretty much defines what this topic is asking for :v:

12. Nado The Rabbit

Nado The Rabbit

Dork Next Door Member
    Canada
    I'm currently working on my Sonic fanfiction, Carnation.
    For the longest time, I had no clue that the bubbles in water stages give you air. Every time I touched the water I ran to the exit in fear of drowning. It wasn't until watching a commentary online sometime last year that I realized the bubbles' purpose. Since I'm so relieved, I can tolerate water levels so much more than others.

13. Nado The Rabbit

Nado The Rabbit

Dork Next Door Member
    Canada
    I'm currently working on my Sonic fanfiction, Carnation.
    This isn't really a derp moment as much as a major gameplay element I was totally ignorant about for years.

For the longest time, I had no idea that air bubbles actually did something. My entire life, I tried desperately to avoid the water, and when I did fall into it, I was in a race against time to get out before the countdown begins. A little less than a year ago, I found out that they save you some time. Let me just say, I find water levels a lot more tolerable now. I can even say that I just ADORE Aquatic Ruin Zone, and even don't mind the underwater sections so much.

I think I should be handed the crown for being the most oblivious Sonic player of all time.

14. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    Here's something that isn't too important to Unleashed (HD Version, but it does work). I found this out while I was derping around. If you get a decent amount of speed (doesn't work at a standstill), pressing the slide/crouch button and pressing the Control Stick left or right will cause you to drift. I think that's how it works in the SD version (but IDK, havent played).