don't click here

Sonic 1 (2013 - iOS/Android) Post-Release Bugs/Fixes/Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skaarg, May 17, 2013.

1. Mosqui

Mosqui

It seems only appropriate that I quote myself from the other thread here, along with some other things I have noticed:

Some other things I have noticed:

• If you press "Play" on the level select screen in Time Attack quick enough after quitting or finishing a level (as the screen fades in), the whole app locks up (doesn't recognise input) and I'm forced to shut it down through Task Manager and restart it.
    • The same applies with a seemingly random glitch relating to jumping. Sometimes when the app starts fresh (as opposed to starting from some sort of sleep mode), the jumping is replaced with a horrible static noise. The only way to rectify this is to force close the app in Task Manager (not standard close, as this puts it in a sleep state and doesn't reset the app and it's settings) and start it again.
    • There is a problem with bouncing (mentioned before) where the first bounce from a badnik or enemy projects you to the correct height but subsequent bounces decrease that height (instead of increase) a little each time. This is most evident in Star Light Zone 1, where bouncing from the four monitors in the secret passage at the start doesn't give you enough height to get back up.

Sorry to be a negative nancy, I really do enjoy this version of Sonic 1 immensely, but the little things get to me.

Thank again for this, guys.

EDIT: I'm running this on Android by the way, if that makes any difference.

2. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The bounce height thing also makes getting all the rings in GHZ1 from the pipe really hard to get, because as you bounce from a buzzbomber you can't reach the top row.

3. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I too noticed the Goggle bit... funny enough it ONLY appears when underwater... not above water. AND it protects from damage like a shield... WHY?
    As for the camera bit, My guess is that the DLE's are not coded 1:1 with the original.

4. SwissCM

SwissCM

Because they goggles.... they do nothing.

I mean really, I would think a snorkel would probable be more useful.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Never heard of this, but being able to pass through a narrow path while ducking doesn't sound like a bug... Is Sonic's height being shortened while crouching, like in the original Sonic 1?

This also happened in the Past levels from the original Sonic CD. I'm guessing they're just trying to make the Classic series a bit more consistent.

Also, why those polygonal-looking palmtrees? Make them realistic! =P

6. corneliab

corneliab

Um, it totally was a bug back on the original game. This "narrow path" was only large enough for the block to pass through. Ducking basically let you pass through a wall.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh okay, I hadn't checked it out yet so please disregard.

Now, as for the raising pillars that Sonic can get through in Green Hill 2... They were made solid in Sonic Jam and that was made by the original devs, so they might have intended to be solid in the first place, I guess?

EDIT: Also... Is it just me or is one of the DAC sounds being played too loud in the music tracks?

8. Machenstein

Machenstein

That... wasn't what I was insinuating. Green Hill Zone was obviously their first try at a background, which is why the backgrounds for the other zones got better the more they practiced. An ideal GHZ background for me would be something along the lines of Palmtree Panic Past, but with triangular mountains instead of the cylinder-shaped ones.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Changing the Green Hill background would be overstepping the boundaries of what this remake does. I don't see anything wrong with in comparison to other zones and games. The only think I do dislike is missing chunk of rock:
    [​IMG]

That could be fixed very easily.

10. Montblanc

Montblanc

International Galaxy SIII i9300:

The camera seems to be locked at a wrong height when you are at the end of MZ act 1

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31061&st=810&p=744408&#entry744408

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31061&st=810&p=744447&#entry744447

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31061&st=840&p=744665&#entry744665

And a suggestion... please add the possibility to copy the save file to the sdcard (like the Sonic CD SGame.bin). Or the new Google Play games services, so we can have the game save synchronized between all our devices.

11. Sploit

Sploit

Dunno if this has happened to anyone else but...something odd that happened to me, was that after completing the game with Knuckles...
    ...during the credits where the game shows you clips of gameplay in between various parts of the credits...

...during the clip of Labyrinth Zone (where Knuckles is being sent by a current through on of those tunnels and grips onto one of those bars, to slide down, so that he can avoid the spikes)...

...the clip ends with Knuckles hitting the spikes (as he hasn't slid far enough down the bar) and he dies...but instead of going back to the credits...the clip restarted and kept doing this after a few deaths the continue screen appeared, which I had control over and tapped to continue. Then rinse/repeat, the same thing happened again, the games was basically stuck. So, I close it and re-booted the game.

This was one the iOS version running on my iPad mini.

It has not happened since.

12. corneliab

corneliab

Yeah, this has been mentioned a handful of times. It's already been fixed in the Android release and will be squared away with a future patch, assumingly. Not sure what you mean by it not happening since though- it happens every damn time for me.

13. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Getting that horrible static sound every time Sonic jumps on the Nexus 4...

14. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I got that at first on my Galaxy S3. Uninstalling it and reinstalling it might help.

15. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I get it on my HTC 1 V, static when jumping or sometimes on another random sound effect. Don't uninstall it, you'll lose your data. Just exit the app fully and stop it running in the background, and then re-open it. It fixes it for me. If not, turn your phone on and off.

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Hate getting stuck at the end of the level if I pass the post in debug and don't return to normal mode before the controls disappear.
    - but that's the only fault I can notice!

17. dsrb

dsrb

I agree that no changes that would represent a departure from the original should be made. Still, didn't someone make a hack where that background had been upscaled to be at the same resolution at the rest of the level, rather than simply being magnified 2x and hence all blocky? Something like that could be good if done well (I can't remember how good the hack was, but I think it looked OK).

18. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Playing the Android version on PC via Bluestacks, and this is the issues thus far:

- You can't roll while pressing left/right and down simultaneously.
    - Debug mode is inaccessible without a touchscreen monitor (the S,E,G,A part works fine, I haven't been able to perform the second requirement, however).

Probably a minority of Android version users would use Bluestacks to play this game, especially if a native PC version eventually pops up, but just saying.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Not a huge nitpick, but some of the added sprites for Knuckles and Tails look like garbage (The ones at the end cutscene with the emeralds collected). Might want to see if someone would redraw those (Chimpo did a good job with the Tails SCD sprites, but he obviously has disappeared)

20. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Not a bug, try it in the original games and have your mind blown!