don't click here

Cycle accurate Mega Drive emulation

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Nemesis, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Works decently on my Phenom II X4 quad core with 8GB RAM. I'm getting a consistent 50-55 fps.

The realtime VRAM viewer will be useful for when I get back into MD programming. Has there even been an emulator with one since Genecyst?

Are there any MD-based systems that could be emulated with only the addition of a new xml thing, like Mega-Tech for instance? Might be a nice way to show off how versatile Exodus is.

2. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    I gave this a go on a Core i7 970 Gulftown 4.3GHz Hex core with 8GB RAM. Runs quite well at 59 ~ 65 fps. The only thing I found was that games that used the Z80 to drive the sound (Sonic 2 in particular) seemed to have slight synch issues with the music tempo.

EDIT:
    That aside, this is a pretty amazing achievement. Well done on getting it this far!

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Speaking of Genecyst, the default keybinding was familar. =P

4. Sintendo

Sintendo

Really weird, I thought my Intel Core i7 920 was getting pretty old, but it's somehow able to get full speed, with an occasional drop every now and then. I'm guessing Exodus really benefits from Hyper Threading?

EDIT: Well, okay, ALMOST full speed. Around 58FPS most of the time. It's not even overclocked too.

5. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Jesus.
    Makes me glad that I ultimately didn't bother to overclock my 3570k, beyond 4.2ghz it needed extreme voltages to stay stable. So I undervolted it instead - it now runs at 0.9-1.1v at 3.8ghz.

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Okay, plugging my laptop in and putting it on High performance, I am getting around 58fps now. But still issues and sometimes drop. But my laptop is whirling away like mad. I think for now I will stick with Regen until next release.

7. Guys, try going to windows power settings and setting CPU to run at 100%. My CPU didn't bother to come out of power saving mode =P

That said, only extreme DMA and CRAM abuse slow it down for me. Otherwise a solid 50fps (yeah I'm a palfag).

i7-3820 @ 4.6GHz, 16GB

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    My i5-3570k at stock speeds has no issue with maintaining a solid 70-80fps in Sonic 2 when throttle is turned off, but with throttle it's a very stuttery 58-62fps. Am I doing something stupid, or is it like this for everyone? Is this something that could be resolved by disabling DWM, as vsync issues often are (which I can't do, since I'm on Win8)?

9. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 (AMD FX-6120, six core, 3.5GHz), AMD 970 chipset, 4 lane 5GT/lane, 10GB DDR3-1600 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7450, and this thing chugs for me. I know my rig isn't super high-end but it's not shit either. Testing both commercial ROMs (Sonic 1) and some homebrew (my ROMs, etc) I get about 2-4 visual updates per second depending on what the MD is doing, and the FPS in the corner of the main image window varies wildly (running my First Time Out demo, I saw it report well over 120fps while visually chugging). I tested both my ROMs and commercial ROMs to see if there was any appreciable difference between the code busywaiting on the HV counter (my old, shitty code) or properly using interrupts, and I saw no real difference in speed, as I'd expect from a proper CE emulator. Kudos on the release, Nem, even if I can't run the damn thing right now lol :P

10. Skaarg

Skaarg

Athlon II X4 640 3.00 GHz with 8GB RAM and I get about 40FPS while playing Sonic 2. Just looking through menus though it's pretty awesome stuff. I anticipate future releases and me upgrading my CPU. =P

11. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Shit, my Athlon 64 x2 2.7GHz is destroyed by Sonic 2, just 20-22FPS :(

12. I get 38~46 fps in my modest i5 laptop, not so bad for debugging.

I do miss something I consider crucial for game development though, which I haven't seen in any MD emulators yet: a tile map viewer. Seeing how tile maps are updated is pretty important for scrolling games. Do you think it would be possible to add this? BTW, I did suggest this in the idea page.

13. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    My recently upgraded PC can play even the unholy Sonic 2 at 60fps, give or take 1. Still, it's very stuttery on any game, not fluid at all. Unthrottled, I get 70fps +/- 12. I'm loving all the debug features, and I'm sure we'll get a lot more cool stuff in the future. Is anyone else experiencing input lag? It's like I'm playing Sonic Jam on SSF.

Setup: i5-3570 at 3.40 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 7 running off a SSD

14. Try Comix Zone, I suspect that'll be a proper test.

15. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    So my friend has an i7-860.

For whatever reason Sonic 2 runs at 5FPS on his PC.

What the actual fuck

16. I've noticed this as well. From what I can tell, it seems to be related to the desktop window manager compositor (Aero) on Vista/7/8. Of course you can try turning off Windows Aero in Windows Vista and 7 to see if the tearing and stuttering issues subside, but anyone using Windows 8 can't disable Aero at all anymore.

Kega's one of the few emulators I've seen that handles the DWM 'issue' nicely (without turning off Windows Aero, I mean) with no tearing at all.

17. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    The site is down... got a 503 message. I assume it will be back up in due time. In the off chance it will be down for a long period of time, is there a mirror to be had?

18. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Yeah, my webhost is down, happened a few hours ago now. I'm hoping they'll be back up soon.

19. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Oh, I'm at work :v:
    I'll try this when I come from work on my i5 3570k and 8GB DDR3 I guess, I can surely OC'it if needed on my Maximus V Gene too.

So, what's the most demanding MD game released to date? And which one is the "standard" for benchmarking it? Sonic 2? I remember trying Bsnes and struggling on Yoshi's Island title screen with a Phenom II x6 for example :v:

20. Athlon 64 x2 @3.0GHz and a ATI Radeon HD 6770 running Windows 8 Pro, roughly 27 FPS with Sonic the Hedgehog.

One hypothetical question though:
    How would the performance change if Exodus would use the GPU instead of the CPU to emulate the Mega Drive?