don't click here

The "Sonic: Edge Of Darkness" Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Delta Hedgehog, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Ya'll wanna see mah titties?! Member
    Wilmington, DE
    Sonic: Edge Of Darkness
    No, not anything like that. All the graphics are either original, customized/ built off of other sprite sheets or are from various other Sonic games (The Rings Of from Chaotix), so you have nothing to worry about.

2. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Wilmington, DE
    Just to show that I am still working on the graphics, here is the updated Corrupted Canyon.
    [​IMG]
    Background = Placeholder

3. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Wilmington, DE
  4. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Wilmington, DE
    I know it's a triple post, but NEW SCREENS! YAY!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Wilmington, DE
    I know this is my fifth post in a row but I can't delete outdated posts, but progress has resumed!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. winterhell

winterhell

Very good.

7. Wow this looks great! And that snowboarding screen...epic

8. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Wilmington, DE
    More Antarctic Amethyst progress. Credit to SuperBliz, my lovely programmer, for adding on to the progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Wilmington, DE
    One level finished. 2 more to go!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. This is definitely shaping up to be an awesome project! I love the sprite shading going on here!

Can't wait to see more!

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I like the 32X feel you have going here. Looks great, Delta!

12. BigTheCat

BigTheCat

♥STYLISH SONIC♥ Member
    This is looking rad. I love the light trail behind Sonic, and the colors are so pleasing to my eyes.

I'm looking forward to playing this.

13. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Wilmington, DE
    Thank you! The demo will be ready soon enough.

14. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Wilmington, DE
    We finally have a gameplay video up! Check it out, and all feedback is welcome!
    My link

15. Truner

Truner

The two running and the wall jumping animations could use some work and the music is horrible (and the homing attack sound effect sounds weird), but I've never seen a Sonic stage as outstandingly good looking as the one you have there... The level layout also looks pretty good.

It looks like something that could've been in Sonic 4, if it was made for the MegaDrive/32x. Download link where? :D

16. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Wilmington, DE
    The music is being changed because we have a composer on the team but the soundtrack is really outdated and we haven't heard a peep from him in forever and a day. The wall jumping sprites are temporary and are being changed, and the sound affect is from Sonic 06, but thanks for the criticism nonetheless! We don't have a download yet, 2 out of the 3 zones for the demo are still being constructed. Soon my friend, soon!

17. This was originally going to be a YouTube comment, but I ran out of space...

The game itself looks really impressive. I was wanting to try using Game Maker to do a Sonic game myself, and this just shows that it can be done very well. I love the graphics and the level design looks like a lot of fun and seems to have a lot to explore. The art direction is very nice, with the level graphics being remarkably sharp and detailed and an interestingly unique style used for Sonic that's rather quick to get used to and looks pretty nice. The Sonic part of the signpost was the only bad part of the graphics in my eyes, something about it just didn't seem to fit. Kind of like how not all the graphics in Knuckles' Chaotix would fit in perfectly with Sonic & Knuckles, you know? They're rather similar, but different enough that it just barely doesn't feel quite right.

Other than that, there are a couple minor issues though. First off, at the end, the timer really should stop when you hit the signpost. I'm going to assume you just haven't gotten to it yet. The other thing is that the wall jump seems much too slow. You went from zipping through at a really fast pace to instantly stopping and slowly climbing up a wall. I know the classic Sonic games weren't just about speed, but they were a lot of fun to fly through really quickly once you knew what you were doing. The slowness of the wall jump segment seems like people will pass over that route on subsequent playthroughs so they can keep their momentum, regardless of whatever advantage the route may have. If you were to double, or even triple the left/right speed of the wall jump, it might be a bit better. I mean, Sonic Generations had a wall jump, but the way it was done still felt like you were moving really quickly. This one reminded me a lot of the Sunsoft NES Batman game instead.

Long story short, VERY impressive showing. I already know that I'm going to play the demo the first chance I get and most likely love every second of it (especially to see for myself how well Game Maker works for a Sonic fangame), but there's still a little bit of room for improvement.

18. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Wilmington, DE
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Here are the first screens of Corrupted Canyon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Truner

Truner

The sandhills in the background could use some variation and just a little bit of extra shading. Otherwise, the zone looks sweet.

20. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Wilmington, DE
    Thanks! It took me an eternity to find the sandhill sprites so I kinda whipped them together pretty quickly lol