don't click here

Would someone please recommend a few sonic fan games/hacks for me?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 1337rooster, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Ones that I would recommend are the trilogy of Amy Rose hacks that E-122 Psi made simply for how Amy's creative gameplay style gives those classic titles an extra life. Really worth checking out.

2. DTX

DTX

A fellow w/a name fit for nary a man save himself Member
    And let's not forget Jamie Bailey's Sonic: Time Attacked, an oldie but a goodie. If you haven't played that yet, I dare say give it a shot—you may like it. It's a tad bit creaky here and there, and some level design is questionable at parts, and the final boss is a bit on the overly tedious side, but it's fairly well polished overall and has a good length to it. Granted, it's not too much in the style of classic Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic games but it's pretty close. Yet for that reason alone you may be uninterested in it... All the same give it 15 minutes of your time before passing judgement ...Unless you've already played it, in which case I assume you have already passed judgement.

Project Mettrix is another older fan game, but also worth checking out. I don't think it ever got finished. I mean, the last time I downloaded a demo might have been 5-7 years ago, so if it has been finished since, then I guess I really wouldn't know, now would I? [​IMG] But I never heard anyone say it got finished. Regardless, it's significantly more "classic" in style than Time Attacked is, and the developer(s?) took a pretty interesting approach to the gameplay in terms of level and character selection. It's a fairly interesting concept, so I recommend the game if you haven't played it yet. I assume its name is derived from both "metrics" and "matrix", though the only sense that I can find in naming it "Mettrix" with those two words in mind would be to convey that the game's main aspect is its being a work-in-progress experiment. Which kind of leaves me to believe it may not have been intended to remain as the title once the "project" was finished, but again, what would I know? /: We probably have a page article here on the site that I should have read before making this comment. Well too bad—even if we do, I'm too lazy to edit my post now! Whatever I have to say on the matter is probably far more awesomely put and much more profound anyway. You'll just have to make do with this feebly written pathetic excuse for a post and hope I never once again make the blunder of speaking up before having all the facts straight in my head.

3. Falk

Falk

Eggman Hates Furries

4. dsrb

dsrb

Sonic 2 Retro Remix

Thank me later.

By which I mean 'several sleepless nights and unquantifiable levels of frustration that nevertheless do nothing to stop you from loving every genius minute of it' later.

Why does this hardly get any love? Are y'all too casual? :v: I sure as hell ain't a skilled gamer in any normal sense of the word, and I almost completed it (no thanks to seemingly buggy SRAM not saving one of my Emeralds, oh, and of course MZ). Anway, it's the right kind of punishment! Besides, the difficulty has been made tremendously more balanced in the latest version(s). The great new spin on the gameplay and the fact that there's finally a genuine impetus to explore and learn levels make the game enjoyable, even when it's kicking your ass, and more so when you finally win. Overall, S2RR is in a league of its own as far as hacks go, and I really hope Thorn and co. release a new version soon.

I should get paid for this

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That's a thought has Thorn entered anything this year?

6. nesboy43

nesboy43

Another hack I had forgot the name of but wanted to mention in my earlier post is Metal Sonic Hyperdrive, a really fun game with unique level design and lots of really interesting characters such as Kirby and Somari being playable, plus there are many configuration options. For the most part the levels are well designed but there can be some annoying parts, either way it is a ton of fun.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Metal_Sonic_Hyperdrive

7. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    I'd just wish that instead of creating those kinds of threads, people would actually take a look at the fangames' board and lurk in more than just the Generations hacking thread. It's a shame seeing such great projects getting only 2~3 replies for dozens of days, and this applies to both fangames and hacks. I've talked to a few guys who are in the verge of cancelling their projects for lack of anyone giving a fuck and some who have cancelled because of that. I'm not giving names, of course, but you can probably figure out a few.

It just makes me sad, because we're talking about people that spend their time, resources, skills and even some of their sanity, just to give the community some enjoyment and the community can't spare a couple of minutes to post some words, give some feedback, etcetera.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Sonic Fusion was my favorite ongoing sonic fan game till it was canned. I actually stayed up till like 6 Am playing with a few Skype friends.
    ( this for me as seasoned game player whos been there done that by owning and completing well over 1000 physical copy games is pretty amazing)( now, I just get bored easy with games. I guess it comes with age)
    The levels were designed perfect for online multiplayer which gave it lots of replay value. I hear that it was canceled because no one seemed to care.
    What a shame that this happens with so many great games, many of them even more fun then the official Sega crap, because they were built with heart, not cash.

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I'm sorry but no one should blame others for their lack of passion and you shouldn't expect the community to stroke your ego when you feel unappreciated. Not only that but some of us here only care for a certain flavour of Sonic. You could do the best 3D Sonic hack ever but you won't get me interested because that roller coaster rubbish just doesn't cut it for me.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    You mean the modern gameplay ? Yeah I'm not a fan of that myself.

11. Speaking of forgotten projects, what happened to Sonic Zero Remastered? I remember playing the demo, loving it and being left craving for more.

12. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
  13. nesboy43

nesboy43

I understand your point. While feedback should be a great encouragement to anyone making a game/hack it should not be the sole reason for one to continue working on their project. People should be making games because they think it will be a great game, it is not the responsibility of the community to keep them motivated by praising them. No one can take away someone's gift to self-motivate, and if someone is only making it based off of other's feedback they were making it for the wrong reason in the first place. I've played a few Sonic fan hacks that I have really enjoyed but did not feel the need to find a thread and say "wow you are amazing this is the best game ever." Let someone's passion drive them and give feedback if you feel like it, but do not blame the community for people not completing their own games.

14. Hukos

Hukos

I know virtually nothing about hacking, so lurking/posting in that part of the forum does no one any real benefit as I can't really contribute to hacking things.

I just bullshit on the general Sonic and gaming forums instead :v:

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Progress slugged to a standstill due to varying factors. There has been talk recently about rounding up the resources the team has, filling in the remaining gaps, and finishing things up. Nothing really worth reporting.

16. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    http://www.dimensionwarped.sonicfangameshq.com/

It's a one level game. It's not a demo since it was never intended to be more than a single level really, but give it a shot. It's classic style with a few minor twists like being able to curl after using springs (complete with being able to use shields/fly/glide afterwards) and being able to use shield moves multiple times in a single jump if you bounce off an enemy between (which isn't really put to much use, but still, concepts). It's really more about the enemies and gimmicks that I threw in than making a game, but yeah. Most people who played it thought it was pretty cool when I posted it.