don't click here

Would someone mind clarifying the first few games' hacks for me?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Nomz, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nomz

Nomz

So I see a lot of discussion about Sonic 1 hacks, and the older games in general, but I was wondering: How would I get my hands on it?

Is it free?
    Do I buy it online? From Steam?
    Are they simply mods for the Steam version?

I could go on for ages, so could someone point be down the right path?

Thanks.

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Try here http://info.sonicretro.org/Category:Hacks

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Typically, a Sonic hack involves editing and/or rebuilding an original Sonic 1 Mega Drive ROM image, which requires an emulator to run.

A list of Mega Drive emulators is available on Sega Retro: Category:Mega Drive Emulators The most popular MD emulators right now include Kega Fusion, Regen, and Gens/GS, all of which are free to download and use.

The Sonic Retro wiki hosts a number of Sonic hacks, which can be viewed here: Category:Hacks - also, Category:Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit) hacks for Sonic 1 hacks specifically. To run a hack, download the ROM image and open it in one of the aforementioned emulators.

Note that while these hacks are freely distributed on the wiki, they are technically derived works of Sonic 1, so you should only download them if you have purchased a copy of Sonic 1. (Realistically, no one really cares about this, and Sega doesn't enforce it. :v:)

4. Nomz

Nomz

Oh it's this simple? When I heard Mega Drive I thought I had to buy a new storage device *facedesk*. Alrighty then, this isn't anything I haven't done before, so I should be good. Thanks guys :D.

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    "Mega Drive" is the international name (I.e. outside the US) of the Genesis. See Sega Mega Drive for more information.

6. Tanks

Tanks

Gonna point out that this is the best argument for why the name 'Genesis' is superior. :v: *runs away before even more 'non sequitor' happens*

7. Nomz

Nomz

Wow... I'm ashamed, I should've known this D:! Bah oh well, agreed Tanks.

8. But Genesis always makes me think it's about the bible or something :V

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    World != United States. =P

Either way, topic has run its course...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.