don't click here

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Saidian, Feb 12, 2012.

Which version will you be getting?

1. Xbox 360

61 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. PlayStation 3

43 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Wii U

52 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. Nintendo 3DS

23 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. PlayStation Vita

12 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. PC

116 vote(s)
    51.3%
  7. iOS

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. Android

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I was all geared up to try the 3DS version, got the demo and couldn't believe how bad it was. And this is after is got delayed for months. The fuck, Sumo?

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It was obvious the 3DS version was an afterthought. Damn shame. They had a solid contender with against Mario Kart 7.

Even then, though, Transformed's online (on PS3) is slowly dying off. I couldn't find a populated matchmaking game for the life of me earlier.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Well yeah, the DS version of the original was rather shitty. But I thought things would be better this time around.

4. Abominal Taz

Abominal Taz

Writing a story currently...
    Oh yeah. Now that's what I'm talking about! There's nothing I hate more than those rage quitters that have to keep their ratings.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I entirely disagree on that point. The DS version was extremely competent, albeit quite heavily downgraded visually to account for it. But I mean the source was a quite impressive PS3/360 game so I'm surprised at times that it turned out as well as it did.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, as an owner of the DS version of ASR I can confirm it's a solid game that does very well conveying the feel of the main version while still working on DS. ASRT dropped the ball in this regard.

Played the Vita version this weekend though, that's quite nice.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, I figure the 3DS was made from the same engine as all the other handhelds, and it's just not quite powerful enough to keep up, certainly not when 3D mode is on (although it seemed to pretty framedroppy even with it off, which is quite a disappointment).

8. Abominal Taz

Abominal Taz

Frame dropping along with, and I don't know if I'm the only one, random freezing.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Actually, they made a different engine for the 3DS version iirc. The Vita version runs on the same engine as the console/PC versions.

10. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Yeah, it has several framedrops, making it even freeze sometimes. Especially at Nights track.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Gonna have to disagree then. I though ASR DS was pretty poor, and it felt like it cut corners. What bothered me the most about it was that jumps were completely automatic. You could approach a jump at 1mph and once you hit the invisible trigger your car would just fly through the air like magic. I just don't think that sort of thing is acceptable.

12. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Scripted jumps are a staple of the Sonic franchise.

13. Abominal Taz

Abominal Taz

That seems to happen on the Nights track and the Race of Ages track, which is even worse. Those aren't the only tracks the freezing occurs on. It seems to happen at any given time during races, even online and that didn't happen until last week.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    370 MB PC update just got released. Info:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/212480/discussions/0/828935361130122025/

15. WOW, WOW

This is really cool, I kinda thought they had completely forgotten to update the game.

I might actually buy the metal sonic DLC and play the game more online now, if it's more stable.

16. SwissCM

SwissCM

S0L has been ridiculously supportive on the Steam forums, popping up in almost every thread. There's PC-only titles that have gotten far less after-launch developer support than what SASRT (which is clearly a console port) has gotten. Sega may not give a shit about it but Sumo have been wonderful.

17. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Sumo doesn't typically do ports of other people's games, do they? It's a shame, because I feel they would've done far better with Sonic Generations than Devil's Details did. For them to have some kind of involvement in future Sonic platformers, even if just porting, could only be good.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    They did the home console versions of Outrun 2 and Virtua Tennis 3. Also the PSP version of Split/Second and the 3DS/PSVita version of F1 2011.

19. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    So, who wants to be the first one to find out if this will ban you from Steam for trying to use model ripping programs like Ninja Ripper?

20. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    "Banning you from Steam" is a huge exaggeration, the only thing it'll do is give you an engine-specific ban, ie: If you get VAC-Banned on ASRT only ASRT (and future games featuring the same engine with VAC2 support) will be affected, if you get banned from a Source Engine game then all Source games are affected.

The ban only prevents you from playing the game online, offline play should be unaffected.