don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

How about Ristar? Doesn't it use a modified Sonic 1 engine?

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    3D? Thankfully I doubt they'd put that much effort into an iOS update. :v: I'm still thinking like 16:9 and all that kinda stuff haha. We'll see if/when it gets here though!

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I imagine we'll get something similar to Sonic CD ios's special stage updates. It'll still use sprites but it'll be a lot smoother.

Also it might be worth fixing Tails's peach arms in the special stages.

4. Abominal Taz

Abominal Taz

Writing a story currently...
    I'm looking forward to a lot being smoother and not to mention a remastered OST along with that. If it's going to be Sonic CD ios good then yes please.

Tails had peach arms? I noticed that with the Knuckles in Sonic 2 sprite but not on Tails.

5. Professor-J

Professor-J

Didn't the Sonic Café version of Sonic 2 have 3D special stages (Tails' tails used polygons in that version too if memory serves?), so there are existing assets for it that could be used. Sonic 2 had the most god awful special stages that could actually be good if you could see what was going on.

6. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    I believe that particular fangame was created by SSNTails, and according to his website, it was released prior to the Beta.

Back on topic: Both title's I'd certainly be willing to snatch up, just like with Sonic CD 2011, but they'd need a PSN release for me, as im without a smartphone (or cell phone in general...).
    As for beta level inclusions, if Sega doesn't want them in the main campaign, I wish they'd consider taking the Earthworm JiM HD approach, by having extra levels (which I believe were also scrapped levels) available as extra's that you can unlock. This way, the main game remains unchanged, but we fan's still get our beta goodness in a finalized form. :specialed:
    Even without the extra content though, these will be worth the buy, but seriously Sega, there's nothing wrong with extra's if it means more sales and a better pitch!

7. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    >Has iPod touch
    >Has Android device
    >Will double dip

Bring it on!

In all seriousness, I'll be getting this for Android. I already have the old S1 and 2 on my iPod touch, so I'll get that as an update, though if I could, I'd definitely buy it again.

Now I just need it for PC. :eng101:

8. I'll be happy if they add Tails/Knuckles to Sonic 1 and let Tails fly in Sonic 2

Hell if it gets a Vita port (Along with CD please) I wouldn't even really need VHBL anymore. I can dream anyway

9. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    There wasn't a standalone Tails flight hack for Sonic 2 released yet. There's hacks like Sonic Classic Heroes that add it, but that isn't a standalone Tails Flight hack. If you could disable partners then it'd be pretty close. There is a Tails flight in Sonic 2 hack but I think the flight code is way different than what is used in Sonic 3. It behaves differently.

10. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    You can disable partners in SCH. Sonic 2: S3 Edition also has a flying Tails that certainly feels accurate enough to me (from a quick run). Not that it'd really affect whether it's possible in the remake either way...

11. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Oh for fucks sake, I'm late to the party :(

Well, as pretty much everybody said before, I'm totally buying the game on all the platforms I have. I can't wait to see Sonic 1 on all the remastered glory of Tax's engine. Also Stealth working on it? Is this real life? Because it's amazing. Can't wait to see all extras there will be, because we know you guys.

Also, please SEGA, don't outsource the port to Steam like you did with CD, just because it's stupid and made such a mess with filters and controls and shit.

12. Oh yeah I know, my post was kinda poorly written. I usually use the Knuckles in Sonic 1 with the palette fix hack on my Vita, that's what I meant really. Flying Tails in Sonic 2 would just be a cool thing I'd expect Taxman and SEGA friends to add (And would be fun to play around with)

13. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I hope that they branch these ports out to consoles, because I've been itching for an HD Sonic 2 for a while now.

14. dsrb

dsrb

But they're not going to be HD. In any sense other than upscaling, that is. The widescreen is the big advance here, and hopefully any extras they get to put in.

15. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Speaking of widescreen... wow, the GHZ boss is gonna be really easy with corners that wide to hide in. :v:

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They'll either make the boss room wider and Robotnik faster, or just shorten all the rooms to their original size with Scrap Brain/Wing Fortress wall-beams.

That's what ended up being done for Sonic CD's last boss.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    The only reason Taxman got away with that was because they made sense in the environment they were in. That's not something you could pull off this time round the boss arenas will need to be modified.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Actually, I'm genuinely curious about how this'll be fixed up:
    [​IMG]

19. Vangar

Vangar

I'd be fine with invisible walls

20. dsrb

dsrb

So, place bets now: descending walls with appropriate environmental theme for each Zone; just plain ol' invisible walls; or simply widening platforms, gaps, etc. and thus possibly changing difficulty of the bosses? I would suggest/guess a mixture of the two. Sure, walls, whether invisible or not, are most likely to keep gameplay button-compatible with the classics (not that I'm implying the devs would be deficient for not keeping the games 100% speedrun compatible), but invisible walls would look weird whereas visible walls that have to appear at ever arena would seem too formulaic. Arenas designed to be wider are the nicest from an aesthetic perspective, but the potential changes to gameplay may be problematic (e.g. Spring Yard Zone will get considerably easier if it has however-many extra blocks on the screen). Obviously we just have to wait and see, but it's quite interesting to ponder.