don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (the Sonic OVA Fan Game)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by P3DR0, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Honestly since you're going for slight redesigns, being a bit off from what people expect here and there should be exactly what you should aim for. Sonic only looks a bit odd from facing him dead on IMO, but I can appreciate Sonic and friends in a different style. I love "what if" alternate universe takes on things, sort of like what Marvel did with their Ultimates or DC in their Earth-2 comics if you follow.

2. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    To be honest, essentially as said above but reworded, with redesigns Sonic will look off to everyone except the redesigner. I think it looks pretty sweet to be honest, though the tail seems rather...long, in my opinion.

3. Flipside

Flipside

It's a lot of progress, but it looks really weird. Sonic OVA looked like an anime super sonic when you look at him head on, but this design looks different. His shoes look so wrong, but they match the concept art. Maybe concepts just aren't enough. Stan Lee told someone about his idea for a hero named "Spider-Man", but the guy hated that idea. No one likes spiders and no hero was a teenager at the time. Then Stan Lee actually did it and Spider-Man's popularity is still through the roof 40+ years later.

It looks odd, but it's probably going to end up being much better in game, then somehow magically match the concept art. If it isn't already, this whole thread is going to be retroactively awesome.

4. VizardJeffhog

VizardJeffhog

Sonic Stadium Staffer, Gamnesia Writer Member
    Ottawa
    Just dropping by to say that you're on SS:R/TSS, P3DR0! Your Aerial Ambush theme got featured!

Love the music you have for this fan game so far, and I definitely can't wait for the final product!

As for my thoughts on the model, it's just the tail and shoes that are a bit bulky, but I like it!

5. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    'Sup guys. Some modifications as well as the diffuse texture done:
    [​IMG]

Nice to know, bro. Thanks a lot.

6. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Looking much improved! That lower spine looks much better :)

The mesh is looking a little wonky at the tips of the spines, or is that just a shading thing? Either way, loving the improvements :)

7. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    LOVE it. Much better than Classic Sonic from Generations!! I love where this game is going, keep going P3DR0!

8. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Probably; Max shading system sometimes is a bit weird as you can see how sometimes the same spine looks different in other views.

Oh boy, this sure as hell feels good for our egos. Thanks a lot.

We're still open for feedback, so... Honor the "Sonic fan" title that all of you carry on and start bitching. :3
    Oh yeah... Almost forgot... If you read this and don't make a comment about the model, your family will be murdered by ninja assassins from hellz using laserz gunz, and after their dead, the ninjas will teabag their corpses, you will be bankrupt and won't be able to pay for kung-fu lessons to avenge your dearest ones. xoxo

9. I feel the shoes look a bit too big oh his stubby legs. Other than that, it looks awesome!

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's not bad, but honestly now that I've seen Sonic models having side mouths for so long, going back to in the center just looks derpy.

11. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    It looks really good. The shoes look weird though. I'm not sure what it is, but they just look... wrong.

12. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Can you try to formulate due why they look weird? I'd believe that people are thinking that because they're rounded like OVA's instead of the triagular shaped shoes that Sonic usualy have, but I can be wrong.

Oh yeah, has anybody seen the model with all the modifications that people complained and the diffuse texture applyied on the previous page? Oh man, that looks so awesome, right?

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Well, really they are still triangular in the OVA, but with rounded tips instead of pointed.

[​IMG]

I think the big issue people have is taper. Your design has no taper whatsoever, so his feet just seem unnaturally blocky.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing what you're going for, but maybe a little taper would help. And if you want to make his shoes look heavier and more solid than they are generally, maybe add a thicker sole.

14. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    I heard that you guys in here like Sonic...

[​IMG]

We've redone our model, there ain't any textures yet, nor does it have any sort of rig (so we can't pose him) but it's pretty much done, and looking lovely. We've taken criticism in consideration and everything else, and we're very happy with the final output.

Lemme know what do you guys think, hate it, love it, just shoot it away. :3

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The center-mouth bugs me a bit, but otherwise I think it looks great!

16. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    That looks ace. The mouth is a little weird, as stated above, but everything else looks excellent. I've gone from not being a fan of the shoe shape to really digging it.

17. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Much better in most ways. The eyes to mouth area shapes are a bit too far wrong, and the quills general shape/size balance is messed up. The distortions aren't much, but they are noticeable.

18. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Thanks for the criticism, boys. We're refining the model as best as we can. The center-mouth is necessary and won't change, and here is why: First reason it's technical, unlike SEGA, we're not aware of how to change the mouth's position acording to the camera and having a mouth on a side would make us very limited about what we can and cannot do, cutscenes-wise and even ingame, perhaps. Second reason is that we dig the crap out of middle mouth, I'm not sure why you guys don't and I'm sure you all have your opinion on that matter, but sometimes we gotta put our feet down for what is best for the game we're designing.

Other than that we'll be fixing the mouth area and the eyes, we're going to give the quills some attention too, but as I told ya, the model ain't rigged just yet, so things may look a little bit weird at the beginning, but trust me, they do get better when everything is done. If you want an example of that, just have a look at our very first model without a rig:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2mcgloAcNI
    (Oh gawd, we've come a long way)

And the same model in motion:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRsuk9FPP2g
    /watch?v=ccwKZRIx5pU
    (Can't post more than 2 vids)

I'm not saying that there ain't room for improvement at the quills or anything else for that matters, just clarifying that the when rigged, it probably will look different, for best, I hope.
    Thanks a lot, guys. It's great having feedback, specially when it's positive criticism, sometimes we can't see the bad side in our own creations so this helps a lot, way more than those "cool I like it" sorts of comments.

Keep 'em coming. <3

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    The shading for that model looks really weird, especially the bottom part of his quills, but it looks really impressive for a fangame character model. The mouth could use some improvement, but I like the fact it's in the middle so I'm glad you're sticking to your guns with that decision.

20. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    It's a viewport render. There are no textures or shaders, those will be made at UDK once the model is finished, no worries, it won't look like this in the end.