don't click here

Penguin snowbording in Sonic 3

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LOst, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I was working with LOst Library when I suddenly saw these extra frames:
    [​IMG]

Don't care about Knuckles palette, look at the last two frame. It's the same angle as the hill Sonic snowboards on in the beginning of Ice Cap Act 1.
    Hunting Sonic maybe?

2. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    It looks like it, but I'm not necessarily sure if that's what it was intended for. It could've just been extra frames of animation for the sliding penguin, but Sonic Team couldn't find a use for it. And yeah, a good use would've been chasing Sonic.

3. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    I think you can kind of see those frames through debug mode. I'll have to double check. Anyway, all you have to do is paste that penguin sprite, watch it walk, and when it slides you can see 1 or 2 of the tiles in the frames LOst found. I always wondered what they were, and now I know. :)

4. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    That's true. I know I have seen this before.

So it isn't 100% new, but still interesting.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hah, nice find! Those would make a lot of sense in that prototype where Sonic just run down the slope instead of snowboarding.

Have you tried placing those penguins in the mountain? It's possible that Sonic won't be able to attack them in the final version, and the gameplay might mess up when hit, but it would be nice to see them going down the slope along with Sonic.

6. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Yeah nice find LOst, went into debug and placed one on the steep mountain side and it used the frame! Only for a split second though :P

Attached Files:

7. mc1228

mc1228

Take a look at this:

Go down the slope as normal. At the end when you hit the wall, use debug to go back to the end of the slope. Once there, place a Super Sonic monitor and destroy it. Now run up the hill, using debug to get past the ledges. Once at the top, you can run down the slope! Try it out!

EDIT: Fixed picture size

Attached Files:

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah, you can use debug mode to go anywhere...

9. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    1) Redundant suggestion, thanks alot. You think people on this board wouldn't know that when pretty much everything's been researched through hex and ASM, never mind debug mode?

2) What's with the attached image being so huge when the actual screenshot's so small? Learn how to use paint plz.

This wasn't intended as a flame, just incase I'm misconstrued.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Good find, lost!

11. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Things like these show up when I get closer into the source of both code and data. This time you can actually see this graphics while being in debug mode so it could have been discovered much earlier.

12. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    What do you mean by "What's with the attached image being so huge when the actual screenshot's so small? Learn how to use paint plz"?

It's a gif, so it's not huge in the first place, and if you're refering to the black bar at the top....a few kb added, but not much.

Maybe the enormous size? Poeple play double rendered sometimes, it's only 43Kb!

Bah, I dunno, I dun really care, prolly shouldn't 've taken the time to type this, I gotta get to work...

13. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    When mc1228 first posted the image, there was the actual screenshot in the upper left corner, then a gigantic white space big enough to hold seven more screenshots around it. That's what Syren was talking about. It pissed me off, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.