don't click here

Generations PC Unleashed Porting - Dragon Road Demo

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I want to share my experience about the framerate: at first, after I downloaded and installed the demo, it was very slow, like a slideshow in certain points. Then I defragmented only the Sonic Generations folder, and as a result, now it runs smoothly at 90- 95%. Also, even the normal game now plays better!

2. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    It makes sense since the game has to stream constantly from the disk. Then again, for you to have a trouble as big as that, that disk must've been really, REALLY fragmented. :v:

I wonder if that's the reason for the severe lag other people reported from the Vanilla game though.

3. BlazyNights

BlazyNights

Too lazy to learn ASM since '06 Member
    This is pretty amazing, only a few minor issues, mostly with the camera, I turned around, the camera turns around and then start moving forward again and the camera is still looking backwards, and hitting the boat while boosting over waster probably shouldn't be an instant death. I'm very glad to see that it uses a separate save now, especially knowing that the rest of the levels are coming. I really can't wait to see how Jungle Joyride turns out.

Keep up the great work!

4. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Except it is, unfortunately. Due to the way Unleashed and Generations works, when you hit the boat you fall into the water and drown. Sucks, yes, but meh. One of the few evils I doubt we can mend. Just try your best not to screw up; it's the 4th stage after all! :P

Neither can we :v:

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I cannot wait for Eggmland Land. That's my favorite stage in the entire game.

6. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Personally, I wish we could make the Aero-Chaser sequences like they were in Unleashed. The Generations version just fires one or two lasers at specifically timed intervals, while the Unleashed ones had lasers, bombs, and tripwires. That, and I'd love to see the stomp carry momentum like it did in Unleashed. I'm not saying it's achievable by any means, but it'd certainly be cool if it was.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd love to see Eggmanland sort of cut into pieces and changed so that it can have all the daytime sections flow as if it were one day time level.

8. Dario FF

Dario FF

One weird thing about Eggmanland is that the path files are in binary format instead of XML, so it needs to be cracked and converted. It's not TOO hard to crack though, I just haven't figured it out yet. The geometry and lighting works fine though. It's a shame there was never DLC for it, so there was never any extra GIA files of such high quality. Although Eggmanland DOES have a PFI that references one, it was just never released by Sega.

9. Falk

Falk

Guys

Guys

We can render our own hi-def GIA

Really

This isn't anything like the mice belling the cat.

I promise.

10. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I have no idea how to render your own GIA.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So why is this not bumped? Isn't this the Unleashed Project's main topic?

Just. wow. I'm soo amazed by the level of quality in this mod, you officially blew anything SEGA could've ever brought out of the water. Congrats Dario and the rest of the SGU Team, you guys did fucking awesome.

Now to wreck my sleep cycle! Tally-ho!! :D

12. Squidgy

Squidgy

Downloading now, but dang this is a big file and my internet is unusually slow today. Can't wait to play it.

13. Dario FF

Dario FF

We'll make another thread tomorrow, I'm really tired and I appreciate all the feedback so far, it's quite amazing seeing this thing shoot to the top in ModDB for the first time. But yeah, releasing a Tuesday night wasn't my best timing choice. :specialed:

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Got it, played it, beat 'em all in one sitting. I always thought I was pretty good at Unleashed, but compared to Generations, I'm really quite terrible at it.

Amazing job, guys! It was everything I hoped it'd be! I'll be playing this for ages! And I also adore that you got the Retro logo in before the title screen.

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Glad I could see this project actually come to completion. I still remember writing up the first post when this was still just "Lookie! We got Apotos Act 1 kinda sorta working!"

Very proud of everyone on this project, and I'm glad that I could help generate a little buzz for it.

This is not a closed offer too, to everyone else. If you got a project you're working on and want a little spotlight, hit me or any of the other site staff up. That front page isn't just to sarcastically mock Sega, you know!

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Have no hope of playing this for ages but I just wanted to chime in and say that music. THAT MUSIC! Also love how the trailer kinda threwback to that E3 Unleashed trailer where four different squares were showing footage at once. Don't know if that was intended or if anyone else would have caught that but I know I sure did. :thumbsup:

EDIT: On that note, I had my suspicions...went back and checked out the E3 trailer again. Footage throughout is very similar, now that is very clever. :v:

17. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    I

You

You noticed.

Someone noticed my hard work ;-; <3<3<3

18. One of the greatest mods ever to come out of the Sonic Fandom.

It is polished, expertly crafted, and a blast to play. The Generations controls excel where Unleashed's failed, and make these levels fun to play instead of fighting the controls to get past that one obstacle. The Werehog and medal collecting are gone, and not only can you play as Super Sonic in these stages,
    you can also play as Classic Sonic after the 1st run through!!

This is what Generations DLC should have been. It's that good. Congrats Dario, Chimera, Falk, and all the rest of your team! This is truly an achievement to behold!

EDIT: I also noticed that video editing was similar to the E3 trailer of Unleashed. Very well done.

19. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I pored over the Unleashed trailers like religious texts after not playing any games since Heroes, what can I say? Haha!

20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Hey, I found Professor Pickle!

Still looking for that red-hatted man mentioned in the HUB, though...

EDIT: Got what I assume is a bug to report:

Using Classic Sonic, the training stage and Windmill Isle Act I HUB gates are switched. On that note, not having any access to the homing attack is seriously weird when trying to control him in 3D. I'd really like the full alternate track list opened up as well. Mostly I just want to remove the boost mode music, which is very, very hard to do on the original tracks without the game crashing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.