don't click here

Just remembered why Sonic 1 is my least favorite of the Genesis Four

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dr. Corndog, Feb 13, 2013.

1. dsrb

dsrb

Sonic 2 removed the speed cap when Sonic is on the ground but omitted to remove it when he's airborne. Sonic 3 removed it fully.

Actually, there are some physics-y arguments for having a speed cap when running, not rolling: any of us could move at 'any' speed if someone rolled us up into a ball and pushed us down a hill, but we'd be hard pressed to reach very high speeds if we had to stay on our feet. :v:

Having said that, the air speed cap doesn't make sense in any context, so it's ironic that it was the last to go.

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Any of us, are not Sonic... you see ;)

3. dsrb

dsrb

Well, I was trying to put it in the general context of a bipedal mammal, but yes... I acknowledge that the comparison is never going to be very reliable. :P

4. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Wat.

Mach, I'm not saying you have limited reading comprehension, but;

Emphasis mine. Only way? No.

Jasonchrist is correct in that rolling is faster that running; kinda. A roll can go faster than even running with power sneakers, but it has a pretty mean deceleration factor on anything but a decline, that has to be jumped out of to maintain speed; and roll-jump aside, jumping is slower than running. And so, it's up to the player to cleverly work out which method is fast -- it is not as cut-and-dry as "one is better than the other" which is why I present the opinion that Sonic 1 actually offers more depth than subsequent iterations. But I guess you missed the bit where I said that.

Woah, stop right there? Did I say I wanted players to keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'? No way, homeboy. I talk of a 'deeper knowledge of the movement' and you're all "derp, roll". No. Should I extrapolate conclusions from your own missives that make no sense and were never said in the first place?

Oh, so you want rolling to be an all-encompassing speedy death-move? How's that Sonic Rush boost working out for you?

As it stands, the balance of the roll move in Sonic 1 is perfect. Defeats enemies and can reach a higher top speed; two strengths. Outweighed each by the negatives of it's awful flat/incline deceleration and the way it fucks up your jumps. Give and take; it's not a stable strategy to be used in all scenarios; but instead is one tool in a palette. Choose your weapon wisely.

You see, dsrb is an intelligent man. This makes a lot of sense, although I argue in terms of game balance the air speed cap should stay -- jumping (when not from a roll) is already super-controllable and Sonic's primary form of attack. Potential higher speeds could tip the balance so it becomes a game of jumping wildly and trying to stay on the ground as little as possible; a bit odd for a character known for his running.

Please don't quote me and then draw a conclusion from the toilet bowl you just defaced, Mach. I'd hate to get Internet-angry and threaten to shit in your ear for it.

5. Machenstein

Machenstein

You didn't have to get so pissy and vindictive with me. All you had to do was point out what I misread from your post. Sorry I assumed that the only way most people circumvented the speed cap was through rolling. I don't know anyone who "free-wheels" when it's natural for everyone to simply hold down the direction they're going in.

Just so I don't provoke your ire any further, I will say that since you pointed out rolling's poor acceleration on anything that isn't a downward surface, I now agree more with your views on Sonic 1's mechanics than before. Happy?

6. "I don't do this therefore nobody else does either."
    That's what I'm getting from that.

That aside, while Sonic 1 isn't my favorite game in the series most of the complaints of the first page page or two equate to "I am not good at this game therefore it sucks"

7. Machenstein

Machenstein

Don't fan the flames. The fact remains that rolling is the most effective way to break the speed cap. The only error I made was saying that rolling was the only way to break it. That's nothing to attack me over.

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This is partially why I'm being such a staunch vanguard of the game and its physics. It's a different beast to what came after in the series for sure (even Sonic CD, although fundamentally similar, is very different), but that doesn't invalidate it as a game in any way. I prefer the original game out of every other game in the series because it offers more to me, in spite of everything it 'lacks' (spin dash, uncapped running-on-a-surface speed, Super Sonic, et cetera).

It's fair not to hold Sonic 1 on the pedestal I so obviously do. It's fair even to dislike the game. But when the main reasons for this stem from popular falsehoods (MYTH: Sonic 1 is slow. FACT: Go watch some time-attack videos on YouTube and you'll see that it's fast, just not as automatically-fast as subsequent games) I kinda boil under the collar a bit. It's a little like branding someone a bad person because you've never heard of the organisations they invest money in, only to have someone point out that they're charities. Or something. I don't know, metaphor isn't my strong area.

And I didn't get "pissy and vindictive" Machenstein. Please stop gaslighting and putting words into my posts that don't exist. Thank you.

9. Machenstein

Machenstein

You just went on a lengthy tirade against my posts all because I misinterpreted something you said. I still think it's unfair to enforce a speed cap in any circumstance, especially for those who want to earn speed as a reward. That's all I should've said, but I just had to put more content into my posts. I won't make that same mistake again, not here anyway.

10. dazzsheil

dazzsheil

Ireland
    Haha, me hacking games? GOOD ONE!
    Sonic 1 is definetly better than Sonic 2 I think, but that's just me :L I prefer it's aesthetics and music over Sonic 2's. Sonic CD is the worst though, I'll get into that another time though.

11. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Final Verdict: It's fair to say that some people don't like the game mechanics in comparison to the sequels, but it's not fair to say that Sonic 1 sucks because of this. Fair enough? [​IMG]

I gotta say though, I saw free-wheeling being mentioned above. I can't help this... but I HATE free-wheeling. I just feel compelled to push the buttons...

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.

Fairest.

I've said, I don't mind people disliking Sonic 1 - but if you're going to hate on it, "I don't understand/am bad at this shit" is the worst kind of reason to give.