don't click here

Running .exe files on Mac?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by JaredAFX, Feb 16, 2013.

1. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Now, I DO have a PC, but I only have access to it half of the time (yay divorced parents). I'm not looking for a Boot Camp substitute or anything; I'm looking for a program that can play .exe files on my Mac. What I really only want is FamiTracker. Do any of you know good programs for this?

2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    wine (for FamiTracker you may need to raise the Buffer length in the Sound tab in Configuration to get smooth sound)

3. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Thank you! Now I can finally work on stuff whenever I want!

4. dsrb

dsrb

Which doesn't provide a compiled package for OS X.

Solution: Wineskin

5. Vangar

Vangar

I remember seeing a hacked version of cross-over-chromium that would run EXE's, dunno if that would help.

6. dsrb

dsrb

Sounds a bit weird. Crossover is just a paid version of WINE. Crossover Chromium is an abstracted implementation within Crossover of a browser for non-Windows platforms that now have officially compiled versions of it. Since CC is free whereas Crossover Chromium isn't, hacking CC to run EXEs seems like it must just be hacking into the underlying engine of Crossover's WINE and having it run something other than the intended/bundled EXE of Chromium. I question whether Crossover has enough great features that WINE doesn't to justify that much effort on an ugly hack just to use Crossover 'for free', which I imagine is illegal in reality.

Anyway, Wineskin allows the user to create their own bundled, self-contained package of WINE and the desired application, provides a bunch of options, and doesn't require strange, legally questionable, and presumably functionally limited hacks to do it.

7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    You can also have a look here, but those methods above should work.
    http://alternativeto.net/software/famitracker/?platform=mac

8. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    What you are looking for is called WineBottler for Mac.

9. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Shame this stuff doesn't work for FlashDevelop - I unfortunately have to have a 26gb Parallels install just to do my work :( That's literally the only Windows program I use too...

10. dsrb

dsrb

I'm aware of that but could never get it to work (without freezing) when I was on OS X, so I never mention it. I haven't tried it for ages as I'm now back on Windows, so maybe it was a peculiarity of my system or a temporary fault in their code. Anyway, Wineskin does effectively the same thing, and I have good experience with that. It's good to present all the options, though.

11. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    You can always run Windows on a virtual machine. Also there's no such thing as an .exe emulator.

12. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Fixed. Sorry, it was a derp moment.

13. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    You may also want to consider running Nerdtracker II under DOSBox.

Alternately, there's also NTRQ, made by Neil Baldwin (whom you may remember did music back in the day on both the C64 and NES). This one runs on the NES itself and stores the song data in save RAM, so it should run on any platform that has a competent NES emulator available.

14. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member