don't click here

New Sonic 1 proto footage

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Here, courtesy of Epicenter.

Featuring a buggy (non-looping?) Labyrinth with something that seems to be a different scrolling background when you reach certain depth, a l? Marble Zone. The screen size is very small, but there's something at the bottom that looks somewhat like a sunken ship to me (it would be so nice to have a better quality video of what's going on in that small window).

Oh, and Sonic earned a 1-up with just 50 rings.

2. Weird Person

Weird Person

You lost two seconds reading this Member
    Who knows?
    It's nearly impossible guess what is in that BackGround, The picture is REALLY Blurry. (look at Sonic!) If you're saying about that "Big Blue Spikes", now I see, it looks like a Sunken Ship. (looking in Horizontal)

And the Bottom of The Background is much similar of the final.

[EDIT] IF you're talking about that two blurry white lines, Looks more falling water than chains.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm talking about the very last things you can see on the bottom left, when Sonic's still falling. They move faster than the normal LZ background you see in the rest of the sequence, and it looks like there's some big diagonal thing and a vertical pole on the right, both over some solid ground. It would make sense that they just removed this as soon as they decided to loop the level vertically.

It looks much better in movement than in still pictures, of course.

EDIT: Just noticed that the RINGS counter is flashing in yellow only (appearing and disappearing), instead of the usual yellow/red stuff.

4. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    If you ask me, they look like some remnants of a building. Ruins perhaps?

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    1. Getting extra life at 50 rings.
    2. Blinking rings counter (visible/disappearing).
    3. Wrapping in Labyrinth is not masked correctly (leaves garbage in foreground, tiles disappearing).
    4. Collision maps are not correctly set in Star Light Zone (Making Sonic run inside walls at some slopes).

But the most interesting for me is the backgrounds. Since Naka had problems with the backgrounds until the very last minute, that's whare you can find the most stuff:

Green Hill Zone only has two different moving layers (clouds-top mountains/waterfalls-water). No line scrolling water making it 3D.

Star Light Zone is probably a static bg image. No star field line scrolling (I can't be completely sure since the quality of this video sucks).

6. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Wow. interesting. Where is this from?

7. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Sorry folks, but the rings counter is flashing red. I'll have a pic up shortly to prove that (it is, however, difficult to notice, given that it'd be red on a dark yellow surface... with the compression, it looks like it's disappearing).

8. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    He's right. I can clearly see a smudge of red on the part where Sonic's sliding down in LZ.

Also, isn't that Andy Dick? It sure as hell looks like him to me.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, it is. "I'm Andy Dick!"

That old LZ BG looks a lot better than the shit we were given. This cut one makes the level feel bigger, and more like a labyrinth, as it is called.

10. LocalH

LocalH

I'm trying to see if I can track down who did the ad campaign pre-WELCO/METOT/HENEX/TLEVEL (I found this page talking about the WELCO/METOT/HENEX/TLEVEL campaign, but nothing prior.

11. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    I noticed that the TM wasn't next to the Sonic intro banner, but would that be there at this point in time?

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Sega is not trademarked in Japan or Europe. Changing the region will give you the same effect.

13. LocalH

LocalH

Yeah, but this is a US commercial. Which means to me that Sega recorded the footage and sent it to the production house, rather than allowing the production house to generate their own video with a Genesis and a proto cart. Because, if the US-based production house had used a standard US Genesis, it would have the TM there (unless they hadn't added it yet, but Sega was trademarked long before this was produced, I'd assume, so it wouldn't be a last-minute change).

14. mc1228

mc1228

Here is something else I found on the page with the commercial.

15. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    No, the TM marks are only removed when the country code is set to Japanese, both at the Sega screen and the title screen.

16. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Don't mean to be rude, but is it possible for someone to screenshot some of these things? Low bandwidth.

17. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    You won't see much because you can only see small details when the movie is playing. if you pause it you will just see MPEG garbage :(

That's why me and LocalH tried to talk to the guy who found this video to see if we can get one in a better resolution. We did the request at SClassic before and it slipped through before SClassic went hacked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.