don't click here

Sonic AYII

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Haha, the engine for this is really buggy. There was no need for me to make it solid, I am just using it to see how things look for now. Should be fine most of the time though :)

Remember, I'll be using AeStHete for the game once Mercury releases it ;)

As for Sonic, hopefully, once he is in a proper environment, he should fit in a little more. If things don't work out, I'll change it.

Cheers! Yeah, I'll have a lot more fun at this scale.

2. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Oh, believe me, I Trust in Sonica™.

3. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I do now...

Sonica's sprite is more Sonic 1 based, only more refined and better looking. Mine is like the skull/woman looking in the mirror picture, you're never quite sure whether it looks more like Sonic 1's sprite or Sonic 3's. Regardless, it doesn't matter because I'd have gladly given my sprite to this project. And on that subject, IT'S BACK! Thank fucking Jesus, I beg of you Sonica please keep it going because it's looking awesome!

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Happy to you've rebooted your porject, Sonica. Good luck, hopefully you won't lose your project again like last time.

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Yes! This is the first time I've tried making a normal Sonic fan-game (well, properly). And I'll have Mercury's engine behind it, should have some good stuff in no time :)

[​IMG]
    Foreground is coming together nicely so far :) Some of it looks out of place/sticks out, but it isn't finished yet.

I confess to basing the rocks from the Lava Reef tiles. But you can hardly tell :v:

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So can we expect Sonic 4's soundtrack redone in this style? Or this style? or are you throwing out the soundtrack all together and making your own?

Truth be told, S4's soundtrack isn't that bad all the tracks have their charm. its just the way they were composed is the thing everyone hates.

7. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    So glad to have you back working on this. You've got my full support, in spirit, as well as if you need some music. I'd love to contribute to a project like this. PM me if you're interested.

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Tbh, I wasn't thinking remixes of anything. Though, it'll certainly be MegaDrive-y, whatever it is. I can't compose, so when music gets done, it'll need to be someone else doing it.

By the way, I'm currently putting together a list of the zones (and their descriptions) I'll be making (I had a rough idea from the start, but this'll be official). Anyways, once that's done, I'm gonna open some little 'Sonic 4 AYII forums', and you guys can unload zone name ideas n stuff as I suck at that (better there than here). And in the future I might like input on other things, so thats why forums'd be cool :)

Also:
    [​IMG]
    Varying the colours lil' a bit. Not sure I'll stick with these though.

Heres an awful sketch so maybe you can feel where I'm going with it: http://I.imgur.com/8rDot.png

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Just saying, Megadrive resolution and Sonic 1-esque sprite? That's not so much Sonic 4 as I imagined it but Sonic 4 from my wet dreams. Good going, Sonica. :D

10. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Going into Sonic Crackers they saw sense and returned Sonic to his Sonic 1 glory - and would have done so in Chaotix when you see the sprite Mighty is based on- so Sonic 4 as we imagined it then would have had a sprite similar to Sonica's.

11. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The colors in the previous version look much better in my opinion. I hope you stick with those.

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I want some variation. But I'm not happy with those colours either, don't worry.

13. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    how about making the rocks a bit darker? or dropping some shadows over them? I think the square tiles need to drop some shadow over them...I don't know, just throwing ideas

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I personally really like your original version of the rocks!

Out of curiosity, were you planning on doing a lot with foreground scrolling? Not like the actual ground that Sonic runs on, but the very foreground? I always thought that it added a very cool dimension when it was used in S3&K!

15. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Those sprites and the effect when jumping at trees are totally boss.

It's things like this that help motivate me to make AeStHete. :)

16. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    After mucking about with the animation test I think that Sonic's shoes when running do need some sort of shading. It was a neat idea but I think it'd look better the usual way. Not that it's a huge deal.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Yeah :) I'll make sure it looks good.

I could do! Nice thought.

Awesome! It was AeStHete that motivated me to continue to make this ;D

I thought the same thing, yeah. I'm just trying things out in case something looks better.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG] -> [​IMG]

idk

I think there's too much dithering - it acts against the Sonic mantra of having worlds built up of simple geometric shapes (and it's not needed with big colour palettes anyway)

less is more

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Possibly. Although levels in sonic did get a bit less geometric with each game it seems. Angel island is pretty dithered.

Though I was already planning on lessening the dithering on the rocks once I'd sorted the colours (I'm going to stick with what I had originally, looks better to me).

20. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    If less is more just think how much more, more would be!