don't click here

Sonic Colors Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by JeffMakesGames, Dec 25, 2012.

1. I recently bought Sonic Colors and wondered... how in the world do you look at the files on the disc? I insert it into my computer and nothing happens. Is the disc a blu-ray, or something else preventing my computer from being able to view it?

2. A computer can't simply play a Wii disc. You have to dump it and open the ISO with a program like WiiScrubber that will show you the files of the game. I don't know if I can mention here how to dump a Wii game, so Google is your best friend.

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    You can mention how to dump a Wii game here. :P The easiest way to do so is using CleanRip: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CleanRip

You'll then need something to browse the disc, since it's both encrypted and uses a nonstandard filesystem. Wiifuse is available for Linux; not sure what the equivalent utility for Windows is.

4. The main reason is that I am after the music files of the game. I assume the format of them is adx/aax on the disc.

5. Pexs

Pexs

Otherwise known as Spex Member
    You should use WiiScrubber to look through the ISO. If your adx/aax aren't to be found, you'll have to use either QuickBMS or a CPK Unpacker to unpack the cpks and look inside.

6. So, would I put this disc in my cd/dvd drive and use WiiScrubber to view it? I use QuickBMS to unpack CPKs, so I usually expect the adx/aax to be in those.

7. Pexs

Pexs

Otherwise known as Spex Member
    Well, I guess to fix future problems for you I should just mention that you will NEVER be putting a Wii game in your computer's disc drive. EVER. Just know this.

So, you'd need the Homebrew Channel (Or a copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl and StackSmash) to run Cleanrip. Once you actually get CleanRip open, you'll need something plugged into the Wii's USB ports to store the ripped cd data. From my experience Wii games are 4-5 Gigs or so (Brawl being an exception, being 8). After CleanRip runs it should give you an ISO. Use WiiScrubber on your computer to explore THAT.

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Why do you want the music files? The soundtracks are easily obtained. Just curious.

9. So I can jam to them. I enjoy listening to the music in adx/aax format. Why?

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Well there goes your 20 posts so I won't get an answer, but maybe someone else might.

What is the difference between adx/aax format that someone might want them rather than the mp3 version?

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    adx/aax have looping capabilities.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Is that all? I can see why someone might want them, I guess.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    They also tend to be higher bitrate and cleaner, but yeah, it's mainly for the looping. I know that's the reason I use them.