don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Falk

Falk

People don't often use 'around' in conjunction with hyperbole.

Just sayin'.

2. theyogwog

theyogwog

S3K Analysis
    I'm not ashamed to say, I'm kinda out of the loop when it comes to Sonic these days. I completely gave up on him the moment I read the term "werehog" online. I decided to give Generations a try recently after reading some of this thread, though. I have it for PC and it hasn't given me any trouble so far, and so far it's been pretty fun. I don't know if they improved modern Sonic somewhat over the years or if it's just better than I remember, but it's enjoyable in its own right. For me, being someone who is so familiar with the classic games, the real joy that I found here was in playing the remakes of the classic levels. Sky Sactuary gave me a few of the most nostaligc, mind-blowing, jaw-dropping moments I've had while playing a video game in a long time. However having said that (and also withholding my negative criticism), I can tell I'm already starting to lose interest in it, which seems to be happen more and more regularly/quickly with most games I've played as I get older. Oh well, thanks none the less, sonic Retro, I wouldn't have even tried it if not for you guys :)

3. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    If you need more reason to play, there are plenty of mods you can try out. We've got a Generations thread for it in the Engineering & Reverse Engineering section.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Mel's back to posting Generations 3DS vids.

VS. Biolizard:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grrD1T7Ghyw

5. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    Why is the Biolizard so shiny in this game...
    Also 3D was a lot more fun, this just feels stupid, especially with the boost.

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Bump.

So yeah, I found the 3DS rom of Generations, it looks like theres a demand for 3DS roms for some reason even though theres no emulator and such.

Is there anyway to crack this sucker open like the DS roms and extract some assets I've been wanting to get? if not, is there any projects I should be keeping my eye on that would lead into that direction?

Thanks guys.

7. The only tool on the net about 3DS roms is this file explorer.

Also this made my day:

+ - Hello pending approval group!  

8. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Uhhh... the boost is basically useless on this boss and isn't much different from spindashing away in the actual game. Outside of that, the boss is basically the same, only they even fixed some annoying camera angle problems as well as made the last phase not suck. I mean, you're free to have your opinion, but you seem to have just gone "Boost is possible in this boss; therefore, it automatically sucks."

9. I loved Sonic Generations so much when I first downloaded it off of Steam, and I still love it 8 months later, but I have two complaints: THIS GAME IS WAY TOO SHORT AND EASY! Even with all of the challenges I have to do to beat the game and 100% it, I still managed to obtain everything in less than 30 hours, and 9 zones is such a small number for Sonic's 20th birthday. I can accept the fact that Sega couldn't get more levels on the disc by launch day and understand the contraints in the game development process, but it only makes sense to expand the DLC offering. As well-loved as this game is, why not release DLC packs with Labyrinth Zone, Hill Top Zone, a full Stardust Speedway, Icecap Zone, Death Egg Zone, Windy Valley, Pyramid Base, Asteroid Coaster, and so forth? The list of levels that can be rebuilt into amazing Generations levels goes on and on...

The game needed a DLC expansion with more challenging levels. The initial offering consisted mainly of the easy early levels from Sonic's past, and quite honestly, I really want to see Hill Top and Asteroid Coaster in HD. Sega could've made a lot of money just putting DLC up for purchase. The revenue could've been equivalent to selling 25% more copies of the game. Sega really squandered yet another golden opportunity...

10. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    The point of the game is not to witness all the content. The point of the game is to get fucking amazing at it. I've logged almost 200 hours on the Steam version, and I _still_ play it all the freakin' time.

DLC's been brought up a lot, and it would be nice... but honestly, with the amount of work that goes into these levels, I'm sure they'd just release another Generations-style game before they'd create all that DLC. I mean, suppose we got one new level for each era. That's a whole third of the game right there, and it's a game that Sonic Team took three years to develop.

(Also, you can see Asteroid Coaster in HD via All-Stars Racing Transformed. Hur hur hur hur.)

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I just unlocked Door into Summer in the 3DS, and I can't tell if it's a brand new version, or a neutered version of the original.

12. I know, but it's not the same when Sonic handicaps himself my driving a car. It didn't take much effort for me to get amazing at Sonic Generations. In spite of all the cheaters, I still outrank 99.2-99.6% of all the posted course PRs in the leaderboards. I've developed fast reflexes over the years as a byproduct of over 750 of hours of F-Zero X (the most challenging game ever made until F-Zero GX) and SSBM. Sonic Generations is just too easy because the boost gauge is rarely less than half full unlike Sonic Colors which demands using boost power wisely. I've found all the shortcuts, and while it feels fun to go fast, there is no challenge in that game whatsoever sans a really painful mission that involved bouncing renegade eighth notes back at Vector.

13. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    The song is essentially the same as the 32x original, but it uses a different set of instruments / samples (Think of it like changing the soundfont in a midi file.) That makes it sorta-new.

Speaking of that, there's an unlockable variant of the Emerald Beach Theme from Sonic Battle in the 3DS version. It's yet another song that's essentially the same, but with different instruments / samples.

In both the 3DS version, and the other 3 versions, the unlockable songs from Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and the Sonic Advance Series are also like that.

14. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    In the SA2 version you were moving in 3D, and you had to jump since the arena was a poke ball. Now I'm just holding boost and changing directions. Subtle difference, but I mind it. I do agree about the last phase being better, though.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Not bad, I have to admit -- you seem to have been a lot quicker at S-ranking all the missions than I remember being.

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Hey it seems the missions were a lot bigger and used the full acts:

17. nesboy43

nesboy43

I remember when this one first came out, being angry that despite how well polished the game was that all people cared about was the game's "length". The levels all have tons of routes and are high quality (these sort of things made the classics great). The game has tons of replayability and the unlockable modifications and music are a great bonus. Don't people realize that the best arcade style games are short in length and are memorable because of how well made they are? I hope the sales for the game weren't as terrible as I've heard. When I worked at Six Flags we had a playable demo of City Escape (modern and classic) about 2 months before the game came out. Being a tram speaker I always had to recommend various things and for a while I was encouraging people to check out Sonic Generations. Maybe I made some additional sales of the game that way, but I feel it was unfairly trashed by certain game sites upon release. Some appreciated it but others hated on it.

In general, mainstream game reviewers frustrate me when it comes to Sonic. Instead of reviewing each game as its own thing they feel the need to reiterate the history of Sonic and how the games declined at a certain point (this is also true for Sonic 4 and All Stars). Anyone who has spent time playing Sonic Generations knows that it has a lot to offer. The game isn't perfect but it is a very solid entry in the Sonic series. If the sales are poor than I can't see them bringing back Classic Sonic to any more games which really saddens me.

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I'd honestly be perfectly content with them further polishing this formula with a release every year and change or so.

19. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Oh yeah... I said something similar like a year ago in this very topic. Sonic isn't just compared to his history, he's also compared to his platforming contemporaries like New Super Mario Bros, Rayman, and DKC Returns.

But where those games all re-use a lot of assets, just about every element of a Sonic level is unique. This means each individual level tends to be a lot more distinct and memorable, but it really cuts down on the length of an initial playthrough and sadly, that's all most people are after: experience all the game's content and move on.

A well-designed modern Sonic game SHOULDN'T be compared to other platformers, though. It should be compared to something like Guitar Hero. If all you did was play through every song in the game on "Easy", would you have gotten much from the experience? Sonic Generations is the same way.

The other thing that irked me about the way the game was reviewed was when they would complain about the levels beyond the Genesis era. Yes, Sonic 2k6 was a horrible game, but that doesn't automatically make Crisis City a horrible level. I even remember reading one that claimed that it was "just as glitchy as the original." Now, Crisis City IS by far one of the toughest stages, and I think that's what it really comes down to -- once reviewers got to the REALLY challenging stuff and the game punished them more and more for blindly boosting ahead, they got pissy.

And Lobotomy, I agree completely. As solid as the mechanics are now (they've FINALLY figured out how to make a speed-based character work in 3D!), I'm really hoping they don't try to change too much for the next game.

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Wait... You're telling me that if I were to compare other games to something like this,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it shouldn't be compared to something like this,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it should be compared to something like this.

[​IMG]

:psyduck: