don't click here

Video of (cancelled) Streets of Rage reboot prototype by Ruffian Games

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TimmiT, Dec 5, 2012.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    A video showing a cancelled Streets of Rage reboot by Ruffian Games (the developer behind Crackdown 2) has been leaked:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOIdgP7U44

A former employee of Ruffian Games confirmed that this is real, though I'm not sure if this is actual gameplay footage or a mock up video made to pitch the game to Sega.

EDIT: Replaced the video with one that has sound, which was uploaded by the studio's boss. Here is the description of the video with more info about this:

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Heh, they made Jack, black.

I'm not sure updating Streets of Rage with modern stylings would have worked, anyway. Street justice is forever entwined with late 80s early 90s in my opinion.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It doesn't look outstandingly awful, but yeah, it needs to look like it's straight out of the late 80s.

It's also very dark. Part of Streets of Rage's success is that it manages to feel dark without actually using dark colours - this attempt reminds me more of Batman: Arkham City

4. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I think it looks amazing! It somehow manages to look fresh, while still looking remarkably like a Streets of Rage game. I would have thought that a 3D SoR game would suck, but I'd buy this in a heartbeat. Shame it got shitcanned, they missed a trick there.

5. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Looks good. Fighting system looks like it could be smoother, but I have to admit I loved that arcade intro.

6. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Looks pretty creative. But slow paced and the animations are awful.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOIdgP7U44

8. http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/05/streets-of-rage-shelved-remake-footage-leaks-online/
    According to the article above, it states that this was legit and confirmed by one of Crackdown 2's members.

For those who just want to watch (audio was added by the uploader):
    [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQy_VcmBT4[/media]

What do you guys think? Honestly, it doesn't really give me that SOR vibe for some reason. Not like the canceled 1999 build of SOR4. Here's a video for comparison:
    [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4hs0omE4zg[/media]
    Discuss.

Edit: For some reason, I can't post up the Youtube players on here..

9. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Is this another Beast Rider?

I swear this is another Beast Rider.

10. Just looked up Beast Rider
    If you mean by sheer generic-ness, then I'll agree.

This seems like it would've been one of those "trying-to-be-grimdark-and-serious, me too" throw away titles. It just doesn't scream SOR to me. Maybe it's better off in its current status.

11. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    Maybe if they didn't make it so dark and have it more rooted to the sprite artwork, nothing for me to complain about except for Jack, wasn't too impressed with him.

Seriously how many times has a new SOR game been in the works before being cancelled? Just have Ancient make a new SOR game or have the guys who did the new Shinobi game make it, these cancelled next installments are starting to become a running gag.

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Good time to request a thread merge with the one in General Sega Discussion?

13. winterhell

winterhell

As far as fan games go, me and another guy were working on a 3D Streets of Rage sequel, have figured the whole combat and gameplay system. We even have some videos and gameplay stuff but we lack the modelling horsepower to make the whole project.

14. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    You could always make the game as it would appear of it were made on the 32x or Saturn, and just use crude models while crafting an appealing retro aesthetic. Alternatively release what you have and see of you can get other people on board.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  16. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Okay yea, I do kinda wish that was released now that I know it's early prototype footage.

17. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Oh, it's only a pre-pre-pre-pre Alpha? You see, I didn't get that vibe out of StricNYN3's post. I may be willing to give this another go, then. Assuming they aren't pulling some shit as per usual.

I can only hope that future builds will look and play more like Streets of Rage than Crackdown 2. If not, Sega's only continuing the Beast Rider approach to retro non Sonic franchises. I'm approaching this with heavy caution. Don't disappoint me again, Sega.

18. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Hey look! It's a clone of Fighting Force 2 for the Dreamcast. Seriously, that is the first impression I get from this game. Nothing special.

19. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Umm... no dude. FF2 was just terribad. While this isn't exactly Arkham games smooth, it doesn't look remotely as broken.

20. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    The reason people get the FF2 vibe is because that was probably the only noteworthy beat-em-up since, well, Fighting Force 1, which was the only noteworthy beat-em-up since the genre moved into the 3rd dimension (Die Hard Arcade kept the gameplay mostly 2d).

Personally, I think that they made so many fucking attempts at Streets of Rage 4 now, that it's just beating a dead horse. I'd be more excited about a new Oni or especially God Hand. Those are how I'd define 3d beat-em-up done right. A shame they lacked multiplayer.