don't click here

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006: 2D

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lanzer, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That level

---------------------------BEEEP----------------BEEP-------BEEPBEBEEEBEEPPBEEPBEEP---------------------------BEEP--------------------GOAL

Still looks more fun and playable then the real version though.

2. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Man, talk about missing the point.

That fangame is kind of depressing in its slavish recreations of all the game's original mechanics. I'm surprised they put boost in there; I'd imagine it was only done because otherwise the idea of a mach speed zone would be literally impossible.

3. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Man... This game definitely needs a full screen mode. It's okay, I played it several times because this is a really good remake and also this is very enjoyable. It looks damn impressive, even with the lack of some interesting parts in some levels. I didn't see the "inlet" of Wave Ocean and also I didn't see the second part of Radical Train. But these weren't a problem, to be honest. The only point which made me really sad was the lack of a full screen mode (at least I didn't figured how to put it in full screen. If there's a way, it'd be interesting if you guys let me know how to do it). The Physic is pretty good in comparison to the 3D game. Cool gameplay as well.

4. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    On the bright side, they added a working spin jump now, notice how he actually bounces off 2 egg robots while jumping.

On the bad side, it's still Sonic 06 in 2D.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh no I get the point, and honestly for what they're trying to accomplish they're doing a damn good job doing it. Now why they're doing it is another story but hey, more power to them.

I'm just commenting on the video as it was.

6. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

I wasn't saying you were missing the point :v:

7. He was referring to the contents of the video itself.

8. Handepsilon

Handepsilon

UE3 Overuser
    Indonesia
    Tutorial for UDK (and also SonicGDK, independently)
    Can't upload the first part, something about it being expired...?

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thanks, I informed them about it on youtube. its been a good while since we have heard anything from them. maybe the fangame curse got to them?...

10. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Well, playing it a bit more, I've managed to beat all the levels, though the final boss seems to crash the game for me, so I'm just going back and redoing the levels.

It's amazing how a 2D fan-recreation of Sonic 06 manages to be more fun than the game its based on. Maybe because Sonic 06 2D cuts out all the bullshit like the cutscenes, mach-speed sections (though what they're planning may make even that more bearable), and forced character changes, and just focuses on Sonic's story at the moment, so I have no qualms about going back and S-Ranking the acts, even finding myself having fun while doing it.

11. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Since I never go into the Fangaming section, this is the first time I've ever heard of this. So I downloaded it, and...

It's decent. The whole "can't jump into enemies" thing doesn't bother me because even in Sonic 4, I never jump straight onto enemies, I always homing attack instead. The only thing that bothers me is moving too fast. It makes it hard to see what's ahead and jump in time. And no, I'm not used to sliding. The level design does not accommodate for this.
    I also don't like the lack of story. Yes, Sonic 06's story was terrible, but at least it had some form of transitions. Here, you finish Wave Ocean, and you're immediately fighting Egg Cerberus.
    I will give this game credit for fixing three glaring problems from Sonic 06.
    1. Autosave. How nice of them.
    2. LOAD TIMES ARE SHORT!
    3. DID I MENTION THE LOAD TIMES?

12. This..... actually looks like it'd be fun. I have never played Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 though, but seeing 3d turned 2d... I give that a thumbs up.

13. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

It's kind of fun?

But not really. But kind of? It's interesting, anyway, because it kind of gives you a glimpse at what Sonic 2006 would be like if you weren't constantly having to deal with the game breaking every 30 seconds.

Which is to say Sonic controls like his shoes are coated in glue so he sticks to every surface, there's no traditional sense of gravity or momentum, enemies have unnecessary health bars despite there being no complex combat system to necessitate such a mechanic, and levels are almost entirely linear with very few unique gimmicks of their own.

14. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Just checked Badog's channel for any updates, looks like they're doing a complete overhaul of the game.

15. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    They finally came to their senses

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    This makes me curious as to see whats going to be overhauled.

17. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Oh, well, about time. :v:

Color me interested in seeing what they're gonna do then.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    He says that the levels are going to be more inspired by Sonic 2006, I doubt that they've come to their senses.

19. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I think by "inspired by" he meant less based on; meaning the levels will have less direct physical design connections to the original. I'd bet they are building all new levels that have the same tropes and similar art style, but don't play like 06 did.

20. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    Call me crazy but I would much rather see 06 remake in the SADX engine with SADX-style gameplay. After all, was it not intended to be a spiritual successor to the Adventure-style games?