don't click here

Amateur moments playing Sonic games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Samurai Echidna, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    When I wrote that comment, I hadn't played Colors in a while, and didn't remember it exactly. What I meant was, I didn't know you could hit the button multiple times. It didn't make sense to do something like that, I just hit it once and fell to my death.

But now that I've beaten Colors, I can add another one to the list. It took me about 6 minutes to beat the final boss. Why? Because I never boosted. I never boosted throughout the entire game. I could have cut my time down significantly.

2. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Boosting all the tine is solid in Colours as it's not topped up ask the time like in Generations, add a result I rarely boosted myself.

3. Vangar

Vangar

The boss in labyrinth always kills me pretty good. It takes crazy amounts of skill to get up there without fucking it up.

4. MainJp

MainJp

Tx
    The first time I played S&K I thought in the special stages that you had to collect blue spheres as Sonic and red Spheres as Knuckles..

5. Ah... let me think.

I believe my amateur moment was Sonic the Hedgehog 1, Labyrinth Zone... Act 3. There's nothing like riding a giant water slide that is endless for the first time. I recall playing this level, sliding downwards for like maybe an entire minute or more, seemed like forever, wondering just how long the slide was... before realizing after I jump off it onto a platform... "Hey, wait a minute... I been here before..."

http://www.soniczone0.com/games/sonic1/labyrinth/ - Click on Act 3 Map to see at the beginning for LOOP.

Of course, it's not the first time I found myself going in circles because of endless loops... (Sonic 2 - Metropolis Zone - Act 1 - Near the end...)

6. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    While the platforming itself offers me little problem these days, (mostly because I've spent hours playing Sonic 1 on my iPod for a lack of anything else/better to do), I do often wonder how the hell I managed to land eight hits on Eggman during that boss as a kid.

Haha! That takes me back! I remember being really confused when the level ended after less than two seconds.

7. Captain L

Captain L

I haven't played Sonic and Knuckles in a while, but doesn't the beginning of the special stages say "Collect Blue Spheres"?

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

What kids read and what a kids brain tells them are two totally different things.

9. theyogwog

theyogwog

S3K Analysis
    I played through Sonic 1 for the first time in a few years the other day and man, I kept running into enemies in levels 3 and beyond. Like right into them. One after another. It was terrible, good thing for power rings :flunked:

10. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I streamed S3K a few weeks ago and Game Over'd to the Carnival Night 1 boss. I have never been more ashamed.

11. Don't worry, awhile ago me and a friend had a race on S3&K and I got game over on the Ice cap 1 boss.

12. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I can understand the Carnival Night miniboss since there's an artificial time limit, but IceCap? Son I'm disappointed.

13. it was a race AND MY FRIEND WAS WINNING (I think).

plus I think we was both Knuckles for some odd reason.

14. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Oh, I used to do some really stupid things in these games when I was younger. I distinctly remember getting a Time Over in Metallic Madness Act 2, on my very last life, because I somehow got trapped in the past (I think I'd accidentally activated all the future posts but was unable to get my speed up enough to time travel...). I just couldn't find a way out, I kept going round in circles without making much progress until the timer ran out. I know this is probably a dumb question guys, but is there a legitimate way of getting out of there? I've never been able to find it to this day if there is, haha =P

Thankfully I never had any trouble with the barrel like so many of you apparently did. I was with my uncle the very first time I played Carnival Night, he was really into games and had already played a lot of Sonic 3, so he literally just said to me when he saw me looking a bit puzzled "just jump on it and press up and down".

As for recent stuff, I can't think of very much off-hand. I kept messing up really badly when I first got the Xbox version of Sonic Adventure 2 though. It had been years since I played through that game on a new save file, so I'm obviously used to playing the game with all the characters' abilities - so yeah, that seriously didn't end well. I kept repeatedly falling to my doom in the quicksand in that one level of Robotnik's because I thought I had the bloody hover ability and kept trying to cut corners, to name just one example.

I've had some utterly ludicrous things happen in 06 but I'm obviously going to blame the game for that rather than my own lack of skill ;P

15. BluGenesi

BluGenesi

Canada, eh
    Making films
    Now when ever I get 32 seconds on the first level of Sonic 1, I feel like im going for a sunday drive.

Smartass comments aside, the Blue sphere minigame was a pain for me earlier in my life. But when my uncle taught me that trick with forming squares.....

16. Captain L

Captain L

I'm playing Sonic and the Black Knight again, and the second fight against King Arthur took me too long to get right.

First off, you have to attack the red spheres he throws. I just dodged them for 2 minutes before Caliburn told me I could attack them. And on all the retries, he tells me nearly immediately. Thanks.
    Second, a glitch or something in the game messed me up. You're supposed to use Soul Surge to Homing Attack King Arthur, but I didn't realize that. I didn't because at one point, the game went into the quicktime attack just through running. So I thought that was what you needed to do. Plus, the first time I tried Soul Surge, it didn't work right. So I thought you couldn't use it.
    Third, the second quicktime attack is a little too hard to get right. You have to perfectly memorize when to attack because there are a few areas where you need to attack again immediately, and the shake lags a little.

The worst part? This isn't even my first time playing the game. Granted, it's been a few years since I played it, but I did beat it before.

17. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Every mistake I've ever made on Sonic games has been amateur; my successes too. Because, you know, I don't get paid to play it.

18. Deef

Deef

That's hilarious. As you should be haha.

19. One mistake I always make on Sonic 2 is that on Chemical Plant Act 2 I would be running very fast but then I would always fall into the water on one of the points with floating platforms above the water, as I would always forget it is there :/. A similar thing would happen before the boss fight where the floor would switch as I would be running fast and fall in because I forgot about it. I guess these are amateur moments because I have been making them since I first played the game and probably should try and remember not to fall in.

20. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

Nice to see this is still a hot topic after all this time. I'm usually pretty shy about starting topics cause I'm always questioning how much conversation value they will have, but I am glad this is one that has lasted. :)

So, I got to download Sonic 4 Ep 2 on my 360 as a Christmas gift, but I can never get comfy with the controls. I keep pressing the Y button to interact with Tails, but it's the X button. I know I need to get use to it, but it just feels so natural to reach for Y button. XD
    On a side note, I didn't notice it too much in Ep 1, but by now I am PAINFULLY aware of how bad the physics are in these games. I am beginning to wonder if Ep 3 will be worth it or not, regardless if they include my favorite character Knuckles.