don't click here

Sega CD Model 2 Repaired, Image Burning Help

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jason, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The Sega CD Model 2 I bought today without a power supply will not power on using the SNES/NES/Genesis Model 1 combo power supply I already have. It's safe to assume that there is a blown fuse fairly common among Sega CDs. If anyone would be willing to fix my Sega CD, please PM me and we'll hammer out payment and shipping methods. I know Retro isn't Craigslist, but I figure this community is a good place to start on finding people to fix old Sega stuff.

Solved, but new issue of burning discs.

2. Lobsterchrist

Lobsterchrist

Have you determined, affirmatively, that it's a blown fuse? I could actually walk you through diagnostics with your cell phone camera and my MSPaint. Free of charge, no less.

My qualifications include having fixed several model 1 and 2 Sega/Mega CDs; about half of these repairs were in the category "Hey Steve my Sega CD's disk drive sounds like a garbage disposal, please make it stop," and since spare parts are scarce to say the least, I have learned which of the clockwork mechanisms in these drives are and are not mission critical, and where to superglue the LEGOs if the tray jumps the timing belt and the device can no longer eject or accept disks automatically.

The other half were in the categories "Hey Steve my X'Eye smells like weed and the guy at the card shop won't buy it, where do you keep the bleach," "Hey Steve I let my kids play this mint condition model 1 without supervision and now each controller port looks like a prison toothbrush, where do you keep the bleach," or my favorite, "Hey Steve I saw a really cheap Genesis at a flea market and I got it for you as a gift, the guy said he tested it this morning and it worked fine, of course I believe a man who sells cheap knives and stolen sunglasses, wait what do you mean it takes power cords, what's an RF adapter, why are you getting the bleach?"

3. I would check to make sure the connection to the Genesis console is clean and the power configuration is correct before judging that it's a problem with the hardware.

4. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Hey Steve, my Mega CD model 2 had a blown fuse because I used a SNES Power Supply with it, fixed it, but then the game disk spinned way too fast and making strange noises until it stopped. I suspected the lens was broken, so bought a new one over ebay and changed it ( being careful when removing the static protection, I followed a tutorial closely). The new lens does the same as the older one,but it also made the rating noise it usually does when it reaches the end of the lens carrier,like "Creek, creek". I opened it and dismantled it to clean it, thinking that was the problem, but the only way to do it was removing the system's header, the one who detects the end of the lens carrier. It was hard, but I finally got to put it back in a way that when the lens made contact with it when going downside, but it is still making those noises and it's still not reading any disks.Where do you keep the bleach? :v:

JK, but that is a real problem my boyfriend has with his Mega CD 2. Now that this topic is here...does any of you know how could I fix it?

5. Lobsterchrist

Lobsterchrist

Ash, thank you for asking! I keep the bleach in the garage, with the rest of the school supplies.

The problem with your Mega CD 2 sounds like an electrical problem with the disk drive's motor, which was likely damaged when the fuse blew; if you have already replaced the lens, and taken great care to avoid damaging it, I doubt it's the problem.

Because the disk drives in Mega CDs are essentially self-contained modules, with a wide, flat IDE cable running from it to the processor module, it is more difficult to repair or replace a broken motor than it is to simply replace the entire disk drive. I assume, though, that you don't have a closet full of spare Mega CDs. lol

Without being able to hold the motor in my hands, or see the extent of the damage caused by the blown fuse, I don't know how much I can help you. With the information you gave me, my modest professional-amateur opinion is that it's the motor.

6. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I don't have any spare mega CD to replace the drive :( Oh well, I will soak it in bleach, it will help for sure! Thanks!

Hum...would some photos of the board and the drive help?

7. Lobsterchrist

Lobsterchrist

Well, I mean, bleach has always worked for me, but if you REALLY WANT to show me nudie pics of the console, I won't say no.

And hey, if I don't see the problem, someone else might. So I think posting a picture here is a good plan.

8. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    I know you've probably fixed it by now, but as far as I remember, the fuse is just a pop out and pop in affair; you'd simply need to buy a replacement fuse, open the MCD, take the old fuse out and put a new one in. Our MCD popped its fuse only a few years after buying it new, we got it fixed in a now non-existent shop, but its been fine ever since. :) (we're talking about 15 years ago now)

9. Jason

Jason

I have yet to fix it, because Lobsterchrist says I need a non-magnetic screwdriver. As I only have a reversible head screwdriver held in by an object rapping clowns can't figure out how they work, I'm waiting to go to visit my father's workbench and take a good look at it. Haven't had the opportunity yet.

10. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    Im sure I've opened my Mega Cd up numerous times with various screwdrivers, it never did it any harm. :B But if you want to be careful then fair enough.

11. Jason

Jason

Took me long enough. I don't see a blown fuse anywhere like other motherboard pics online. In fact, this board looks very different to those Model 2 boards, so I'm a bit concerned.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone knows what to do, let me know in case Lobsterchrist doesn't come through in time. He hasn't logged in since Halloween.

12. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    The Mega CD uses small pico fuses soldered on, you may not see if they are blown or not. Replace them anyway, since it's the part that most often dies.

13. Jason

Jason

I don't know what fuse to replace, or how to even test if it needs replacing. All the guides I've seen on YouTube rely on the MK-4102 board with the F301 fuse. There is no F301 fuse on this board.

14. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    So replace all of them? I doubt it would put a dent on your wallet to get so many pico fuses.

15. MooMoo

MooMoo

Leader Bean Member
    Huh, could have sworn there was a fairly visible, obvious fuse inside. If you like/if I remember, I can open up my model 2 sometime after Sunday and take a comparison pic.

16. Jason

Jason

Found a guide. Turns out my model has the fuse under the motherboard. (Skip to 2:10 to avoid bad acting.)
    http://youtu.be/nUZ9Jhl07vA?
    Plays official games like a champ. Naturally, the first thing I did after realizing how boring Sewer Shark can be is burn a Sonic Megamix 4.0b disc. I've seen places recommend burning at 4X speed, Alcohol 120%'s lowest speed is 16x. The system boots to the Sega boot screen with the Sonic and sparkles, and just freezes. Resetting sometimes brings me to the Megamix purple loading screen, and one time I got lucky and was able to play Sunny Shores Act 1, but after those events the system went back to the Sega CD BIOS screen before freezing on the Sega boot screen. Is the speed at which I burnt the image to blame, and if so, what program will let me burn at 4x these days?

17. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    The write speed is likely the problem, I've experienced similar problems at high write speeds. I use Imgburn, it actually lets you go to 1x. I recommend using 1x instead of 4x, because I like to make absolute sure that it will work.

18. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    The CD-R's themselves can also play a role. I prefer the ones with the darker blue writable sides, so you can easily "see" the color difference in the burned area. I don't know if it matters at all to the device reading it, but I never liked the more common CD-R's where you can barely see that they're used after you've burned them.
    Either way, some discs are better than others. There may be specific brands that work better on older drives like the Sega CD.

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I read somewhere the newer CD-Drives don't let you burn at so low speeds!

20. Jason

Jason

You appear to be right, Master Emerald. + - Wow, that sounded like I was roleplaying an insane Knuckles there.  

My desktop disc drive will not burn below 16x speed. At all. ImgBurn just reverts to the lowest speed available. In desperation I tried my laptop's drive, which burnt at a strange 10x. For Sonic Megamix this worked, and I was ready to say I was finished, until I tried a larger game, Soulstar, at 604MB to Megamix's 14MB. The disc only gets a few seconds into the intro FMV before skipping. Pressing Start furiously before the intro screen starts does nothing. Am I screwed in terms of cheap-as-CD-R Sega CD games, or worse, the full Red Book Audio Sonic Megamix release?